Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Whoa, you think Suffocation killed death metal? I think we have very different views on music :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Pierced From Within is a great album, I just don't like that every death metal band since has decided to record their own crappy version of it:lol: They're a bit like Meshuggah in that sense - that whole sound has been run into the ground to the point that I just can't appreciate it like I used to.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I was about to say, Pierced from Within is a death metal classic :lol: I wouldn't say they killed it though, people will always be assholes and copy previous people. How many breecore bands are out there now? I remember when the occasional use of a pig squeel was actually kind of cool in death metal :lol:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I blame Unique Leader Records:lol: I'm all bree'd out thanks to those lads.

Anyway, for those of you who don't get the Portal thing, a recommendation: Stargazer! Another Aussie band, they sound kinda like a cross between Atheist, Nocturnus and Absu - old-school technical death metal with a black metal edge. The main guys from the band actually played on Portal's Outre album and have a funeral doom band called Mournful Congregation that aint half bad either. Check it:yesway:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Pierced From Within is a great album, I just don't like that every death metal band since has decided to record their own crappy version of it:lol: They're a bit like Meshuggah in that sense - that whole sound has been run into the ground to the point that I just can't appreciate it like I used to.

Really? :rolleyes: Suffo? Really? :squint: I'd be more inclined to blame someone like Cattle Decapitation who really got things into a "grind-rinse-repeat" format... and moreso Job For A Cowboy for "coring" all up with their tween-death pants and whatnot... but even then, it's kinda like blaming Nirvana for all the shit alt. bands that cloned them after MTV forced us to feltch them out of their corporate asses by playing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' ten thousand times a week. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for. :noplease:

Eschaton

Reaction score
74, 62, 52, 42, 30, 17, 13, 10

Aphotic uses different.
Less flop with thicker gauge.

Cheers Illogium!

Unfortunately, I know I'd do :shred: and waste them so... too thin for me man!

Honestly though, one CD to buy this year is definitely "Swarth", people that might have commented on here "oh, it's not tight blah blah" miss the point. It's an example of feel over technique for sure. The technique is there, but it's not the feckin' point - it's meant to be SICK, twisted fuckin' music - and they do it well. Honestly, get the CD, it'll repulse or convert.

"Blood Oath" is pwned so badly by "Swarth", and this from a long time Suffocation fan. "Effigy..." and "Pierced..." are different things altogether. That's history!

x178x

Reaction score
Cheers Illogium!

Unfortunately, I know I'd do :shred: and waste them so... too thin for me man!

Honestly though, one CD to buy this year is definitely "Swarth", people that might have commented on here "oh, it's not tight blah blah" miss the point. It's an example of feel over technique for sure. The technique is there, but it's not the feckin' point - it's meant to be SICK, twisted fuckin' music - and they do it well. Honestly, get the CD, it'll repulse or convert.

"Blood Oath" is pwned so badly by "Swarth", and this from a long time Suffocation fan. "Effigy..." and "Pierced..." are different things altogether. That's history!
Although the technique isn't the focus, it's fucking RIDICULOUS. It's by far the most complicated riffing I've ever heard, considering they play it exactly the same live. It's completely impossible to imitate, and fucking slays all the other Tech Death bullshit.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
^:agreed:
This bands music feels more like some schoenbergian or stravinskian terror than a metal band of any sort.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everything they've done is pretty similar, just listen to the shit already linked in this thread and either like it or don't:shrug:

x178x

Reaction score
Everything they've done is pretty similar, just listen to the shit already linked in this thread and either like it or don't:shrug:

I disagree, Seepia and Outre differ greatly. Swarth and Outre are pretty similar, but I like Swarth a lot more. If you can manage to get your hands on The Sweyy EP, that album has 2 incredible songs on it (which are on Swarth, but they're different renditions of the songs).

I would recommend Seepia as a start, but anything is wonderful.

And of course, Swarth is fucking incredible.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I downloaded a few tunes from Swarth. Definitely more listenable in better quality, but nothing fantastic.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm listening to the whole album, from start to finish. I'm on Writhen right now. Swarth was a flop, Larvae was cool, reminded me of Leviathan or some other ambient sounding black metal, the rest really hasn't stood out at all. At best, it's really hit or miss.

Latest posts

')