Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

x178x

Reaction score
I'm listening to the whole album, from start to finish. I'm on Writhen right now. Swarth was a flop, Larvae was cool, reminded me of Leviathan or some other ambient sounding black metal, the rest really hasn't stood out at all. At best, it's really hit or miss.
Writhen's probably my favorite track. I actually didn't really like the album my first listen, but by my second I was hooked. Give it a few tries, and if it doesn't work, oh well. :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, no harm no foul. I kind of get them now, like I say, it's like a mix of technical metal with ambient black, which is interesting. Still don't think it's my thing though. Except Larvae, that track was bad ass :lol:

x178x

Reaction score
That's a perfect way to describe them, there's certainly Ambient Black in the mix, which I approve of greatly.

Glad it's at least sinking in a bit though, most people just don't care. Larvae's another favorite, the boom at 1:55 is one of the sickest things I've ever heard. :yesway:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Omenknow was good, Werships is starting out and sounds pretty groovy. So I think it's fair to say I like about 40-50% of Portal :lol:

x178x

Reaction score
Good enough. :p

Werships is so sick, is was on an older EP of theirs but they slowed it down and made it way heavier.

Is this your first album of theirs?

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
Writhen's probably my favorite track. I actually didn't really like the album my first listen, but by my second I was hooked. Give it a few tries, and if it doesn't work, oh well. :p

Same shit with me!
And Writhen is also my favorite... Mostly the "chorus" part, if it can be called that. Overall the album is amazing and I want more of their stuff.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I just love this kind of stuff. The music that slowly opens up to you with each consecutive spin.

I can see how this works very well for their whole image as well. What with the Cthulhu-mythos-thing thing and the Old Ones slowly infecting your mind and the King In Yellow and the maddening whispers of things beyond this dimension and whatnot.

x178x

Reaction score
Same shit with me!
And Writhen is also my favorite... Mostly the "chorus" part, if it can be called that. Overall the album is amazing and I want more of their stuff.
Yeah dude! That part is SO heavy, I bob my head every time. Is this your first album of theirs?

I just love this kind of stuff. The music that slowly opens up to you with each consecutive spin.

I can see how this works very well for their whole image as well. What with the Cthulhu-mythos-thing thing and the Old Ones slowly infecting your mind and the King In Yellow and the maddening whispers of things beyond this dimension and whatnot.
I agree 100%. That's why I have such a deep passion for Black Metal. You have to train your ears before you can even really hear what's going on, but once you understand it's pure bliss.

I love their image, lyrical themes, everything. Even their costumes are the sickest thing ever. :p

Perfect example of a band that had a completely original idea and executed it with grace.

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
Yeah dude! That part is SO heavy, I bob my head every time. Is this your first album of theirs?

Yeah, it is.
But I'm getting the others as soon as possible. I'm having a growing obsession with this band.
And yes their costumes are badass. I have a picture of The Curator as my desktop

x178x

Reaction score
Yeah, it is.
But I'm getting the others as soon as possible. I'm having a growing obsession with this band.
And yes their costumes are badass. I have a picture of The Curator as my desktop

Gooood. I know I've said this like a million times, but definitely get Seepia, you'll love it.

Wizard hat, or grandfather clock?

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
Gooood. I know I've said this like a million times, but definitely get Seepia, you'll love it.

Wizard hat, or grandfather clock?
I'll definitely check it out.
This... I love how the only thing visible is him.
Portal+TheCurator.jpg

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree, Seepia and Outre differ greatly. Swarth and Outre are pretty similar, but I like Swarth a lot more. If you can manage to get your hands on The Sweyy EP, that album has 2 incredible songs on it (which are on Swarth, but they're different renditions of the songs).

I would recommend Seepia as a start, but anything is wonderful.

And of course, Swarth is fucking incredible.

:shrug:It all sounds pretty similar to me. The newer stuff is more refined but it's the same basic style, especially when you compare it to the early tapes(the first "official" one is on 7" now, think I might pick it up).

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
There ARE riffs there but the tone/effects they use turns them into a much more textural thing.

I bet they have a Latin copy of the horrid Necronomicon. :evil:

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;1710837 said:
I bet they have a Latin copy of the horrid Necronomicon. :evil:

Yeah that's right, aren't some of their lyrics in Latin?
I've seen French used in it too. Or at least what I think is French.

Latest posts

')