Possible amp upgrade... What cabs?

• Thread starter PettyThief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I am at a dilemma in my rig... I'm not sure what to do.

Currently, I have a Spider Valve 212 (The tubed spider modeler) and I mean, it's nice... but it's starting to sound pretty digital now that I'm used to it. :noway: I know that it is a hybrid amp... but I have a hard time dialing in good metal tones as the amp models on this thing are so distorted it's hard to EQ something I like.

I don't think adding more pedals to my chain will help at all, so I'm debating selling it and upgrading to something more luxurious. I was thinking a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier as I have always adored them for that high-gain metal sound.

Since I have always had combos, I have no idea what cabs sound good for what heads, so some suggestions on what to look for while I consider selling this beast would be nice. :) I would like something in the 2x12 range and I have no need for a 4x12 in my little practice space.

Cheers :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Mesa vertical 212 if you're lucky enough to find one used or have the cash.
Just makes dialing amp easier being higher up.
2x12 RECTO Vertical (slant only)

Also, the rubber feet on rectifryers are just wide enough to straddle the normal recto 212 horizontal cabs when turned on their side in a vertical manner, once again making knob tweeking easier on the back. But the verticals will sound better because more airspace for depth and because better sound dispersion from slant pattern IMO.

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
I near shit my pants with excitement over how good my EVH 5153 cab sounds with my rectifier, so... There's an option.

(Just try not to shit your pants)

')