Possibly moving from PA to CA.....

• Thread starter Larrikin666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
So......I don't really frequent this part of the forums. I stick to guitars and gear for the most part, but I found myself wanting the opinion of other mature people and musicians.

I've lived in Pittsburgh for 28 years now. I've been working at a company called Industrial Scientific since 2005. I'm been playing guitar in my band (Victims of Contagion) since 2006. I planned on doing all three of those things for the rest of my life. Everything about that made me happy. A wrench was thrown in that plan.....

I met a wonderful girl who makes me very happy. Maggie moved her from the Bay Area last summer. She was doing her Neuropsychology internship at a VA in Pittsburgh. We met online, feel for each other, and she didn't want to consider leaving since I was here. She was willing to trying to do her two year post doctoral fellowship in Pittsburgh just to stay close to me. Awesome right? I was ecstatic that she was willing to do this for us. She has a 6 year old son that I love to death as well. He seemed to be thrilled with having a loving home with two people looking out for him.

What could go wrong?

Well, Pittsburgh doesn't have any opportunities for her. It's so bad, that she has to consider working at Barnes and Noble once her internship ends in August. She's an extremely competitive candidate, but this area just focuses on different sciences. She was basically willing to throw away $500,000 and 12 years of school just to stay here with me. Despite never wanting to leave, we started thinking of way we could address this. I absolutely LOVE the company I work for. I could not imagine leaving. Also, I don't have a BS or MS, so I can't just leave here and roll into another good job. I worked my way up from the bottom. They pay me as well as coworkers with graduate degrees, so I'm reluctant to give that up. They're also paying for me to go to school.

Luckily, when I applied for a promotion, the VP of the company asked me if I'd consider relocating for the company. I was amazed, because we don't really do things like that here. I said yes though. I explained my current dilemma with Maggie, and he thought that maybe it would be a good fit. After a month of interviews, I'm waiting on their final decision about the promotion. If I get it, I have my choice of locations. Maggie knows definitively that the bay area is ripe with opportunities, so that's going to be my first choice.

With so much hanging on this, I haven't really had time to consider what it would be like to actually leave. I was so focused on wanting to do everything I could for Maggie. Now, I've started to freak out a bit about leaving the only place I know. No more family or friends. I'll be leaving all my coworkers that I love. I still want to do it, but these are things that haven't really resonated until now.

Here are my questions:

1.) What's the Northern CA metal scene like? I was amazed to find out how many of my favorite bands of from CA.

2.) How exactly should I handle my current band? I own basically everyone's equipment. I pay for the merch. I pay for the recordings. Do I just roll out and tell them they're SOL?

3.) Who has moved a ton of expensive guitar equipment across country and had everything survive?

4.) What do I have to look forward to in the bay area? There's not anything in Pittsburgh that actually makes me WANT to be here other than the fact that I'm used to it. I have a hard time with change. I'll need some people with similar interests to help sell me on the area.

Any other thoughts, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
What part of the Bay Area would you move to? South Bay which is San Jose area. East Bay which is Oakland/Berkeley area, or North Bay which is Marin County/Sonoma/Santa Rosa area? Or just smack right in the middle SF

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
What part of the Bay Area would you move to? South Bay which is San Jose area. East Bay which is Oakland/Berkeley area, or North Bay which is Marin County/Sonoma/Santa Rosa area? Or just smack right in the middle SF

That really depends on where she finds a post doc. She lived in Cupertino for a few years, so it's possible we'd end up back there. I'd end up all over the place since I'd be working with customers in CA, UT, NV, CO, AZ, and NM. I think we're open to different parts of the area at this point as long as they have a good school for the little guy.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I lived in the middle of San Francisco for 6 months last year and a good chunk of metal bands came through during the time including: Meshuggah, AAL, Decapitated, Cattle Decapitation, Protest the Hero, Behemoth, and about a dozen others. The Guitar Center out there was pretty bitchin' too, big selection of guitars and they had boutique amps set up in the store (Diezel, Splawn, and I think the other was Fryette). When I went out there I brought my Steinberger with me as my travel guitar and just threw it in the over-head compartment, but on the way back I had my Apex II since I sold the Steiny and it survived without a scratch during the flight.

Not sure what Cupertino is like since it's about an hour north of SF (if I remember correctly, or maybe that' Emeryville?) but SF is pretty solid

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't be able to take my stuff on the flight. I have ~20 guitars, two Kempers, 4 powered monitors, a drum set, and my entire studio setup. I have a hard time trusting movers cross country with all that stuff, but I don't see another alternative.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I lived in the middle of San Francisco for 6 months last year and a good chunk of metal bands came through during the time including: Meshuggah, AAL, Decapitated, Cattle Decapitation, Protest the Hero, Behemoth, and about a dozen others. The Guitar Center out there was pretty bitchin' too, big selection of guitars and they had boutique amps set up in the store (Diezel, Splawn, and I think the other was Fryette). When I went out there I brought my Steinberger with me as my travel guitar and just threw it in the over-head compartment, but on the way back I had my Apex II since I sold the Steiny and it survived without a scratch during the flight.

Not sure what Cupertino is like since it's about an hour north of SF (if I remember correctly, or maybe that' Emeryville?) but SF is pretty solid

Haha nice try. Cupertino is Between SF and San Jose so its South Bay. Emeryville is where Ikea is basically Berkeley/Oakland which is East Bay. One hour north is Petaluma/Santa Rosa/Sonoma

But yeah, all the tours tend to either go through SF or Sacramento which is a 2 hour drive North of the East Bay. There's a few newer bands from SF that kick ass such as Fallujah, Name, Death Valley High if your into the alt rock stuff. Personally I don't see a huge metal scene. There's always shitty venues with tons of local younger metal bands though.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I thought the Pittsburgh area was cool until I left. Now, I can't imagine ever wanting to live there again. You'll be alright, just have some faith in yourself - it sounds like a cool opportunity all around.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I don't want to be a dick....but man... I hope this chick is the one. If the relationship goes south will you still be happy with the decisions you have made? Something to think about.

I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well. :yesway:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I don't want to be a dick....but man... I hope this chick is the one. If the relationship goes south will you still be happy with the decisions you have made? Something to think about.

I'm quite positive she's the one. Even if she isn't, the company I work for is awesome. If I move out to Cali, it doesn't have to be permanent if I'm unhappy for whatever reason. They'd help me get back here or wherever if I needed it to happen.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Haha nice try. Cupertino is Between SF and San Jose so its South Bay. Emeryville is where Ikea is basically Berkeley/Oakland which is East Bay. One hour north is Petaluma/Santa Rosa/Sonoma

But yeah, all the tours tend to either go through SF or Sacramento which is a 2 hour drive North of the East Bay. There's a few newer bands from SF that kick ass such as Fallujah, Name, Death Valley High if your into the alt rock stuff. Personally I don't see a huge metal scene. There's always shitty venues with tons of local younger metal bands though.

Ah that's right. I remember a buddy of mine coming out to visit his aunt who lived there and they stopped up where I was for a day and I kept thinking it was north from me even after they kept telling me it was south :lol:

JTL

ss.org lurker
Reaction score
Ive been to SF a couple times in my journies. Id have to say SF is the most beautiful city in the country. I met awesome people, theres always something going on. Plus the cops are very relaxed when it comes to the ganja. And its CALI. you cant go wrong.. well you could... youd end up back in PA.

Go for it, you never know until you do it. And if you never do ull always wish you had. Safe travels!

shadscbr

Reaction score
Congrats!! The fact that your work will follow you gives you ultimate freedom....not something to be taken lightly. Very cool :)

You are potentially migrating to the most perfect weather in the US, how can that be bad? :)

The cost of living would be my main concern, but if you guys can cover it, I say go for it :yesway:

You can laugh at the rest of us hucking snow all winter...best of luck :agreed:

Shad

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
So based on some rumors at work, this IS in fact going to happen. I left the band know last night about me potentially leaving. They seemed fine with it. I haven't broached the subject of me taking my equipment and (possibly) the music with me when I go. Any suggestions?

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
So based on some rumors at work, this IS in fact going to happen. I left the band know last night about me potentially leaving. They seemed fine with it. I haven't broached the subject of me taking my equipment and (possibly) the music with me when I go. Any suggestions?

That can not be made any easier than it sounds, man. Just let them know you love them or whatever and that you don't mean any ill by it - but there really is no other way around it without you taking a huge hit.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I got the official word today guys. I'm be moving to Northern CA or Portland in 4 weeks. Really short notice, but that's what the deal was. I'll keep everyone posted. Sunday is when I'm sitting down with the band to figure the logistics out.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I got the official word today guys. I'm be moving to Northern CA or Portland in 4 weeks. Really short notice, but that's what the deal was. I'll keep everyone posted. Sunday is when I'm sitting down with the band to figure the logistics out.

Good luck Chad! Moving can be stressful (I moved the fam to Pittsburgh 2 years ago from Louisiana) but hopefully it sounds like it's for the best for you!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I moved to Northern Cal from Michigan with a girl. We broke up a year after we got out here. Moving here was still the best thing I've ever done. I say do it. Cupertino is pretty expensive because there are oodles of internet millionaires there, but all of us normal people get along just fine slumming next to them. Just don't expect to pay $200,000 for a swank pad. :lol: And I second the idea of bringing the guitar/gear collection out here in a U-Haul if you can swing it. Could be a cool road trip, too.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Just be sure to load up on sandwiches from Primanti Bro's before you leave! Good luck on your move though man. I like Pittsburgh a lot but the west coast is so awesome, I would love to get out there permanently.

Reaction score

I've lived in Mendocino, Marysville and Vista California. Honestly, I couldn't think of a better place to get dumped than California cause there are so many beautiful women there. Especially in the SouthLand. You'll do fine bro.

')