Post Modernism in higher education.

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Or, better yet, there’s virtually no difference between postmodernism and nihilism as philosophical forces in society - whether you’re dismantling social hierarchies as a postmodernist or a nihilist, you’re doing so because you are convinced that they lack actual value. Again, I don’t see anyway around that. The argument is that any postmodernist claiming to be without nihilistic sentiments is ill-informed, confused, or in denial, because that’s what sits at the bottom.

I like the post, but back Drew who finds merit in the sense of play, playing with structures, poking the eye of them, yet ultimately relying on them as the thing which is kicked against, and provides the material. I don't think that necessarily has to mean a willingness to dismantle those structures.

I can see where there would be correlation between postmodernism and nihilism in the recognition of the lack of value, in your personal response, to these things, but one can still recognise the value others place in the structures, and indeed that's part of the charm of mashing them up and wilfully baffling an audience. I see a closer connection to existentialism than nihilism, in fact, because it's taking in all culture and input within a single moment and trying to respond to it in a single moment. But these are broad generalisations I'm making due to lack of time, sorry.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
The mistake is in thinking that culture is an arbitrary set of ideas and habits that you have to actively choose to participate in. I’m not exactly a biological determinist, but when somebody says that culture and hierarchy are social constructs, I always say “constructed from what?” It’s like, you have to trace it back to something, and to say that you can trace it back to the playful experimentation of a free agent is a bit careless. Free will exists (as far as I can tell, but this is a whole other can of worms), but there are rules (biology, environment, physics) and they significantly limit the scope of the “game,” such that you don’t really have the luxury of being a post-modernist if you wanted to. I don’t want to repeat myself too much, but rejecting biology, nature, and the intuition that life is worth doing right (that is, living in a way that is meaningful) is nihilism, no matter how you word it or sugar coat it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The mistake is in thinking that culture is an arbitrary set of ideas and habits that you have to actively choose to participate in. I’m not exactly a biological determinist, but when somebody says that culture and hierarchy are social constructs, I always say “constructed from what?” It’s like, you have to trace it back to something, and to say that you can trace it back to the playful experimentation of a free agent is a bit careless. Free will exists (as far as I can tell, but this is a whole other can of worms), but there are rules (biology, environment, physics) and they significantly limit the scope of the “game,” such that you don’t really have the luxury of being a post-modernist if you wanted to. I don’t want to repeat myself too much, but rejecting biology, nature, and the intuition that life is worth doing right (that is, living in a way that is meaningful) is nihilism, no matter how you word it or sugar coat it.
...so, you, along with Peterson, are both modernists?

I strongly disagree with your claim that post-modernism is nihilism, but whatever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

I think we can say culture can be constructed from the human urge and need to interact, and the potential for culture within any group of individuals thrown together, can't we? It's certainly interaction rather than free agents. I don't understand the bit from there where you say no-one has the "luxury" of being a post-modernist - I think many people do, and of course the personal and professional are also different spheres in this regard. Not that post-modernism is necessarily linked to any financial system, unless we're drawing everything to its extreme conclusions.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
After accidentally running across a Reddit story (veracity unknown) from a guy whose girlfriend left him after he took her to a Jordan Peterson lecture, I did a little more reading.

I was amused and surprised/not surprised to see that Peterson has a lecture about male privilege being a lie, and that he misunderstands how serotonin works in the human brain.

Azathoth43

ל ו ו י י ת ן
Reaction score
Please don't take it the wrong way, but every time I read this kind of sob story it comes across as excuses and blaming others for your poor marks. I went to a big 10 school and saw firsthand people make these exact same kind of cop-out excuses in an attempt to reconcile that they simply didn't do as well as they thought they deserved to.

Let me let you in on a secret: even politically left-leaning students earn poor marks. They even sometimes think they deserve better and try to blame the professor; they just don't blame the 'evil jew libral indoctrination brainwash machine'

Maybe what you say did really happen, I'm sure it's not impossible. I'm just sayin'.

Neat trick trying to make him into an anti-semite.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Having now listened to a million Joe Rogan podcasts, I've transitioned from not understanding what anyone here was saying to wishing I didn't understand what anyone here was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.