Post Your GAS

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
D'addario. ESP is just picking a string set; D'addario is determining the tension and whatnot of the sets by choosing the gauges.

True. D'addario even has the tensions listed on the page. Look at that huge spike on the D, A, and Low-E. Then the fall off for the F#. Less tension than the plain strings. :lol:

mrva7o.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

toolsound

Reaction score
alder5awh_2.jpg

Also trying to decide between a Kemper, Axe FX II, and AX8, but that won't be for a while. I'm still relatively happy with my HD500X.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
True. D'addario even has the tensions listed on the page. Look at that huge spike on the D, A, and Low-E. Then the fall off for the F#. Less tension than the plain strings. :lol:

mrva7o.png
Yeah, I saw that. Laughable for a company like D'addario to put shit like that out. I'm not certain, but I'd guess that is 25.5 or 26.5" scale length. I mean, D'addario knows goddamn well that 54 for an E string on even a 24.75" scale length is ridiculous, let alone 25.5". To have these gauges for 27" is almost a joke.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
That doesn't seem right. A .54 for low E on a 27" scale? That's tighter than a duck's arse under water.
I have my 6 strung up with 11-56 Daddarios and I have this guitar set up in E standard right now on a 25.5" scale, and yeah, even that is pretty damn tight. I would say it's kind of nice for me, since If I had an 8 string right now I would have it tuned D#G#D#G#C#F#A#D# and I do prefer a bit more tension than average.

Restarted

Reaction score
I'm having a huge thing for Ormsby at the moment:
ormsby-gtr-run-2-hype-magenta-6_orig.jpg

I almost bought one but it didnt work logistically. They tick all my boxes. I wasn't even sure which model or color I'd go for. This pink hype was definitely a candidate, along with the copper Goliath and a few other hypemachines

Reactions: Vyn

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I almost bought one but it didnt work logistically. They tick all my boxes. I wasn't even sure which model or color I'd go for. This pink hype was definitely a candidate, along with the copper Goliath and a few other hypemachines

I'm seriously considering the pink FF hype in whichever string config is still available. It just looks mad!

Restarted

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering the pink FF hype in whichever string config is still available. It just looks mad!

I'm planning a trip to Australia in 2019 and I highly doubt I'll come back without an Ormsby. Any colour Hypemachine is fine. Azure Blue, Strike Me Pink, Magenta (the one you posted. Their pink is a lighter shade), or Purrpull are my favourites. But most likely, if I could, this is my calling. I've posted it in this thread before
goliath-7_orig.jpg

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Australia in 2019 and I highly doubt I'll come back without an Ormsby. Any colour Hypemachine is fine. Azure Blue, Strike Me Pink, Magenta (the one you posted. Their pink is a lighter shade), or Purrpull are my favourites. But most likely, if I could, this is my calling. I've posted it in this thread before
goliath-7_orig.jpg

If you do, hit me up, I'm always up for an excuse to go guitar shopping here :p

The Goliath range is probably the only headless range that I like, they are hawt!

Genome

Reaction score
I’ve been mostly happy with my axe fx II for several years now but I really just want to buy a recto now, and move back to just an amp and boost.

I guess the wait begins for a used Dual or Triple that isn’t massively overpriced and also isn’t USA voltage.

I had that after a few years of owning an Axe FX. Just really wanted a Mark V.

When I realised that the only amps I really used on the Axe were the Mesa models, I sold it and got the real thing. Haven't looked back since!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I had that after a few years of owning an Axe FX. Just really wanted a Mark V.

When I realised that the only amps I really used on the Axe were the Mesa models, I sold it and got the real thing. Haven't looked back since!

You’re not helping!

I’m in the same situation, I almost exclusively use the recto models. At this point it seems silly to use a 2k setup to emulate a 1k (used) setup.

The axe fx was exactly what I needed back when I got it. Compact, quiet, headphone playing, direct recording, all in one. But now I have a detached house where I can be as loud as I want, a spare room for gear, and I don’t record much at all. Perfect time for tubes.

Genome

Reaction score
You’re not helping!

I’m in the same situation, I almost exclusively use the recto models. At this point it seems silly to use a 2k setup to emulate a 1k (used) setup.

The axe fx was exactly what I needed back when I got it. Compact, quiet, headphone playing, direct recording, all in one. But now I have a detached house where I can be as loud as I want, a spare room for gear, and I don’t record much at all. Perfect time for tubes.

The thing I most missed when using the Fractal was the low end thunk and immediacy that you get from a tube amp. That immediately came back when I played through the Mark. But, the Axe had many advantages too. If you can swing it, use both. I would've loved to have kept the Axe but couldn't justify it at the time.

Been toying with the idea of getting an AX8 and using it live as a preamp into the power section of the Mark. Bit overkill, but could be fun...

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The thing I most missed when using the Fractal was the low end thunk and immediacy that you get from a tube amp. That immediately came back when I played through the Mark. But, the Axe had many advantages too. If you can swing it, use both. I would've loved to have kept the Axe but couldn't justify it at the time.

Been toying with the idea of getting an AX8 and using it live as a preamp into the power section of the Mark. Bit overkill, but could be fun...

I could afford to get both but I don’t think I could justify it to myself to keep both. If/when I do get a recto I plan to compare them thoroughly before making a final choice on which to keep.

The thing I think I’d miss the most is being able to just pull up whatever random amp when I’m bored. Sometimes I’ll flip through some amps and pull up a Diezel or Mark IV or Marshall or whatever model and jam on that for a couple days, but it’s always just a passing fancy and I end up back at the recto.

Being able to work in super flexible parametric eq’s is also fun. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Genome

Reaction score
I could afford to get both but I don’t think I could justify it to myself to keep both. If/when I do get a recto I plan to compare them thoroughly before making a final choice on which to keep.

The thing I think I’d miss the most is being able to just pull up whatever random amp when I’m bored. Sometimes I’ll flip through some amps and pull up a Diezel or Mark IV or Marshall or whatever model and jam on that for a couple days, but it’s always just a passing fancy and I end up back at the recto.

Being able to work in super flexible parametric eq’s is also fun. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Have you considered picking up a Recto 2:100 Power Amp?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
C-7%20FR%20SLS%20ELITE%20BFB%20TILT.png

Still these, but this finish now. I am mostly waiting to find a schecter sls c7 in a shop to try one because I've heard they have somewhat slimmer necks on the SLS stuff, and normal schecter necks are not my thing.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Have you considered picking up a Recto 2:100 Power Amp?

Briefly but it’s about the same cost as a used dual or triple, harder to find, and I’d only use one side. So I might as well just get a recto and put the axe fx into the fx return and that way I’d also have a free built in recto preamp.

I did pick up a Fryette 2/50/2 for a good price and it does sound and feel great with the axe fx, but a recto poweramp and Fryette poweramp are two totally different beasts.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
Gave in to my Blackmachine GAS and bought a Hannes bridge, M6 tuners, those super fancy CTS push pull pots and told my wood guy to whip out the ebony. Here I go again, another build coming up. <_<

')