Post Your GAS

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
is that one still relatively marshall flavored, or is it more like his OD series?

It's supposed to be the versatile one, not as smooth as the OD, not as marshall as the triptik or revo. I think it's Alan's favorite and something he cooked up for his own gigs that may have been covers across a wide swath of classic rock.

And it has some odd tube choice for this style -- I think it has kt-88s, which is weird, but can take other types. The "3" series of everything have auto biases. Got it in a trade but honestly would have preferred an OD3r if going just by youtube clips, so I think I'll probably try out some 6L6s and see what happens.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
It's supposed to be the versatile one, not as smooth as the OD, not as marshall as the triptik or revo. I think it's Alan's favorite and something he cooked up for his own gigs that may have been covers across a wide swath of classic rock.

And it has some odd tube choice for this style -- I think it has kt-88s, which is weird, but can take other types. The "3" series of everything have auto biases. Got it in a trade but honestly would have preferred an OD3r if going just by youtube clips, so I think I'll probably try out some 6L6s and see what happens.
gotcha.
the autobias feature is super cool, it's part of why I'm interested in the triptik (along with it supposedly being stupidly tight sounding). I've never really bothered rolling tubes before but it'd be fun to see how the triptik sounds with 6L6/EL34/KT88 with the same settings.
I wish there was more clips of the triptik out there. The few I can find are blues lawyers pretending they're clapton/SRV.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Reaction score
gotcha.
the autobias feature is super cool, it's part of why I'm interested in the triptik (along with it supposedly being stupidly tight sounding). I've never really bothered rolling tubes before but it'd be fun to see how the triptik sounds with 6L6/EL34/KT88 with the same settings.
I wish there was more clips of the triptik out there. The few I can find are blues lawyers pretending they're clapton/SRV.

Yea, if I had to guess I would say there's lots of other amps out there that would be cooler to try out. I think the used market on Carol Anns is so bad though that you no doubt get a very high quality amp for the price, just not as versatile as metal guys typically expect with the wide variety of switching our amps usually have. Great clean though....damn, kind of want to plug in but it's 11PM.

xzacx

Reaction score

Triptik is a great amp. I never owned one but a friend did and I got to play it a decent amount—I wouldn't call it "stupidly tight" though. It's a lot tighter than say a BE100 (which I think is mush city), but it's tight enough. Really good cleans from what I remember too. That said, I tried it out because I was thinking about buying one, and I didn't. I really did like it though, just stuff I prefer.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
finally tracked down an nw44 LTd and it was pretty dope to play, now I kind of want one.
White EC with 25.5" scale. It's pretty much a home run. Good to hear though, the first NGD on here I think had some flaws, so this is good to hear. That one is killer. And because it's the GAS thread:
xlarge.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
White EC with 25.5" scale. It's pretty much a home run. Good to hear though, the first NGD on here I think had some flaws, so this is good to hear. That one is killer. And because it's the GAS thread:
xlarge.
The one I played was pretty much flawless. Fretwork was great with no dead spots/ buzzing/sharp edges, and the finish didn't have any issues. It's one of the few single hum guitars that I would consider owning. Obviously YMMV but I've had pretty damn good luck with mid-higher tier LTDs as of late.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
The one I played was pretty much flawless. Fretwork was great with no dead spots/ buzzing/sharp edges, and the finish didn't have any issues. It's one of the few single hum guitars that I would consider owning. Obviously YMMV but I've had pretty damn good luck with mid-higher tier LTDs as of late.
I figured the one was a bit of an anomaly, I haven't picked up in an LTD in a few years that hasn't been exactly what I suspected. Which I mean in a good way.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I figured the one was a bit of an anomaly, I haven't picked up in an LTD in a few years that hasn't been exactly what I suspected. Which I mean in a good way.
yeah, LTD and Schecter have been killing it the last few years ime. Nearly every guitar I've messed around with from those brands has been very high quality. Can't say the same about jacksons or ibbys though, they've both been super hit or miss ime.

narad

Reaction score
PRS Wood Library Custom 24 in Grandma Hannon Pink, the best solid pink on the market.

Rare that I say anything nice about Kiesel but their soft pink is the perfect shade to me. They can even do it as one of this thin ash ones:

kiesel-carvin-858-custom-pink-7-string-xl.jpg

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Rare that I say anything nice about Kiesel but their soft pink is the perfect shade to me. They can even do it as one of this thin ash ones:

kiesel-carvin-858-custom-pink-7-string-xl.jpg
Oh that's Marc Okubo's from Veil of Maya. I absolutely love that one!

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
NOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it man:nono: That thing appears to be left-handed.

Just kidding. Maybe......