Post your tunings and what you do with them

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stan P

Reaction score
1. Std 7 - 6 std + Low B

2. Jazz / Metal 7 - 6 std. + Lo A

3. High A - not sure what the use of this....

.... let's continue the list. Please describe the advantages of your tuning and the situations you are using it for .. jazz, metal ... experime(n)tal...

:bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
DADGAD and CGDGAD (down 1/2 step): Fingerstyle acoustic, and two handed tapping.
Open G (down 1/2 step): FIngerstyle acoustic
Drop C#: Metal and fingerstyle acoustic
C Standard: Metal
Drop B flat: Metal
Sevenstring B flat standard (will have more sevenstring tunings once I get my tremel-no): Everything.
DADGAE (down 1/2 step): Slide guitar and fingerstyle.

Those are the main ones that work for me. Sometime I have variations on the above, but mostly I stick to these. I've experimented with tunings based on fourths and fifths, but never went very far with them.

As a wierd aside, I've found DADGAD is very cool for jazz playing...

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
standard B = everything i can!

drop Tool (E > D, B > A) = Tool tunes

D

Desecrated

Standard b = works for everything. 010-64
Drop A = it´s just so fun. 010-64
B-minor = BF#BF#BD = for my acoustic guitar, it so sweet for picking. (cant remeber gauge but they where the thickest string in europe ?)
High-a tuning nr 1 = EADGHEA standard. 006-046
High-a tuning nr 2 = EACGCEA a-minor7 tuning that sounds good for slide and blues. 006-046
meshuggah type = F#C#F#C#F#A#D#. 011-070

Edit: added string gauge

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh, Open C and Open D Minor are both great as well. Don't use them as much as Open G or DADGAD, but they're pretty cool.

Days Break

Reaction score
G
D
G
D
G
D
G

tuned to this for a while nice for acoustic passages lots of open octaves...

sweep picking sounds nice aswell :D

(not that i'm that great)

since strapping young lad decided to tune to

GCGCGCE i decided i'd try soemthing both different and similar and hence GDGDGDG was born... 'super drop g'
(lame name i know)

Raeon

Reaction score
My main tuning on the seven is simply B flat. So I can play Nevermore songs and write nice songs =)

I once experimented a 7-string tuning that goes like this:
from low to high: G# C# A# C# F# A# D#

The only change following from the B flat tuning is an uber-low G# and an uptuned A string :D
Reason: experimental, nothing more nothing less.

Days Break said:
G
D
G
D
G
D
G

tuned to this for a while nice for acoustic passages lots of open octaves...

sweep picking sounds nice aswell :D

(not that i'm that great)

since strapping young lad decided to tune to

GCGCGCE i decided i'd try soemthing both different and similar and hence GDGDGDG was born... 'super drop g'
(lame name i know)

Haha, that's pretty funny =D I'm gonna try it out one day :p

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
AEADGB sounds heavy as hell and I still get the standard goodness in there.

C# standard for Decapitated...heh...this is the one I use for playing standard songs (like crazy train :lol:)

Drop-B on the 7 (C# standard if I tune the B up) - just sounds good, I wanted my 7 in drop-tuning but still with the b, so it works. Plus F# standard sounds AWESOME.

Stan P

Reaction score
I want to try a new tuning, I called 5-4 Symmetric:

F#
B
E
A
E
B
F#

I hope to get a wide covering both bass and guitar. I will see how it works for jazz and rock. It should be easy to improvise in this tuning because you only need to learn the 1st 4 strings:)!

There is another guy on this forum who tried something similar.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
G
D
A
D
G
B
e

11-85 gauge strings.
It's tuned low but, heavy strings + 27" scale and trem with 5 springs = no flop :metal:

Stan P

Reaction score
To guys, who use extra low strings:

Is it easier to put them on a Fixed Bridge or FR-type nut - bridge?

Are any mods required to accomodate very thik strings?

Thank you all
Stan

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I always use strict 4ths tuning.
eg, (low to high)
6-string: EADGCF
7-string: BEADGCF or EADGCFBb
7-string extended scale: G#C#F#BEAD
9-string: F#BEADGCFBb

The advantage of this system is that all scale fingerings and chords shapes are the same no matter which string groups they are played on. I can switch between all these different guitars and all my fingerings remain the same.

I started tuning this way because that major 3nd between the G & B strings in standard tuning always bugged me.

Stan P

Reaction score
I like all 4ths for many things, especially when improvising in Cm7, Fm7 and related keys.

bulb

Reaction score
a cool tuning that i have been using lately is where on a 7 string you drop the E down to a D but keep the B in standard. I usually tune my guitars down a half step too, but the relationship of the notes stays the same, and i use this tuning on a couple songs. Its cool cuz you have your drop chords ready, and the low set of open chords has this minor 3rd (i think i dont know notes well...) feel to it and sounds really cool. I used this tuning on As it were, Prerequisite and Forever and a Half.

Another tuning that i havent recorded with but i am messing around with is tuning the E string to B on a 6 string. This creates a very large interval between the two strings and you can make some different sounding riffs with it and for a heavy open sound you hit the A string 2 frets up from where you are hitting the B and you have an octave that you can move around like a power chord!

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
Adler 12-string/8 octave guitar:
C0 F0 Bflat0 Eflat1 Aflat1 Dflat2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4 G4
I use this guitar which has 97 notes from C0-C8 for playing piano music ,non-transposed for two handed touch playing and for projects requiring the tonalpossiblities it has to offer. This instrument includes the guitar,electric bass , but goes both lower and higher than these guitars.

11-string
F0-G4 The same idea but it avoids notes below the audio band.

9-string B0-Eflat4- an easy live gig instrument covering the range of the standard 5-string bass and guitar.

7-string B0-F4 The bass guitar's answer to the Clavinet and Harpsichord with a 4.5 octave range. Set up for my Percussive Harmonic system.

6-string guitar 25.5" scale B2 E3 A3 D4 G4 C5
A guitar tuned in 4ths, but also tuned a 5th higher than normal guitar tuning for very bright chords.

And the 4x3 12-string..... This used to be considered a bass, but it's range is higher than the standard electric 12-string guitar being that I tuned it in three octave.

This is really nice for duo and trio situations where I can cover bass and full guitar chords while a guitarists solos.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
7-String (All): A-D-G-C-F-A-D
6-String #1: A-D-G-C-F-A
6-String #2: B-E-A-D-F#-B
6-String #3: C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C

As you can see I don't like drop tunings. It's fun but I just write better in standard.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
I use this one where I turn the low B to A and the E to D. Kinda' of a cool weird sound.I mainly use it for this tapping riff I made up. I also turn the high B up one step for some cool clean things. And sometimes I tune up to C and take advantage of the extra high string (also for clean accoustic things).

Pericles

Reaction score
How about the Ryan Schuck tuning?
Bb F C G D A E
I don't think i've ever seen anyone use that tuning before, i'm just wondering.

About me, I just tune 1/2 step down on 7's. Reason: At first it was because of Meshuggah and Mushroomhead, then I soon after discovered Nevermore,and a number of others that tune down by 1/2 step. It's great because i can also play alot of Hendrix songs in this tuning as well:hbang:

Latest posts

')