Post your tunings and what you do with them

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ryan Shuck tuning? Dude they just tuned Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. Amir tunes the same but without a high Eb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
Stan P said:
To guys, who use extra low strings:

Is it easier to put them on a Fixed Bridge or FR-type nut - bridge?

Are any mods required to accomodate very thik strings?

Thank you all
Stan

Yes, in my case there is. I had to take a small file to the nut of my fixed bridge 7's. Also to the tuning machine as the 85 doesn't quite fit in the hole (I said hole :lol: ).

For a locking nut, not really except I had to (with Donnie's help) put groves in the string clamps as the screw wasn't quite long enough to tighten up.

I personally use all 5 spring spaces in my trem equipped 7. 2 high tension springs and 3 gently used ones from my 6 string.

Other than that, setting it up is the biggest hassle.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
G standard 11-70 grind
A standard 11-70 death metal
C,C,G,C,F,G,C(7 string acting as a citar) 11-66
F standard 11-70 MESHUGGAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
V7, standard tuning, .09 - .56
JPM, standard tuning, .09 - .46
PRS, D tuning, .09 - .46
N2, Half-step down, .09 - .46

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
cadenhead said:
G
D
A
D
G
B
e

11-85 gauge strings.
It's tuned low but, heavy strings + 27" scale and trem with 5 springs = no flop :metal:
Hey! That's my exact tuning, only I'm one step down (F).

Weird! No one uses this tuning. I've been using it for 5 years now. Great for 2 finger major/minor baritone triads on the low strings.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:

Weird! No one uses this tuning. I've been using it for 5 years now. Great for 2 finger major/minor baritone triads on the low strings.

I had no idea any one els did that too. :shred:

I think when I get my 28" scale 7 I'll try tuning down another step.:metal:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:

That CGDGAD tuning I mentioned is great for the same reason.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Lute tuning? EADF#BE, with a capo at the second fret.

I really want to try it on my classical guitar next time I go home...

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
Has anyone tried Lute tuning? EADF#BE, with a capo at the second fret.

I really want to try it on my classical guitar next time I go home...
I've tried that on my classical once for playing a lute transcription. It was disorienting for a bit, but the fingerings made a lot of sense after a while. Should work well for most old lute stuff like Dowland or Weiss.

I like that it puts that pesky major third in the middle of the six strings - more symmetrical than standard tuning.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
B standard, Bb Standard, A Standard, and C# Standard with a high F#

I dont have a different tuning for different genres or anything, although an extra high note sounds awesome with chord heavy rhythms. (IE, clean passages and whatnot)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
B standard, Bb Standard, A Standard, and C# Standard with a high F#

I dont have a different tuning for different genres or anything, although an extra high note sounds awesome with chord heavy rhythms. (IE, clean passages and whatnot)

What string do you use for your high F#?

Has anyone tried Pat Metheny's acoustic baritone tuning, from the 'One Quiet Night' album?

ADGCEA with the middle two strings strung an octave higher.

Haven't tried Nashville tuning in ages...wouldn't mind giving it a go again...

EverDream

Reaction score
Right now my tunings:

6 string guitar: ADGCEA (this is the higher tuning with a high A)
7 string guitar: G#C#F#BEG#C# (Although the high string broke a while ago)
8 string bass: C#G#C#F#BEAD (there is no low C# on it right now though)

gauges strings:

6 string guitar: 5-8-10.5-14-19-26
7 string guitar: 10-13.5-17-26-36-49-66 (10 is gone now)
8 string bass: 20-35-50-70-85-110-145-230 (230 is gone now)

I play symphonic/gothic metal, I'm a guitarist but I have the bass so that I can add bass to my songs I write, I'm not really a bass player, but I can play basic bass lines. The 8 string is a galveston I got on ebay. The action is not suitable for anything but playing basslines on the lower frets, and the saddle heights are not adjustable. I mainly got it because of the range it could offer with 8 strings, and just to have a feel for what 8 strings feels like.

I've tuned to MAAAANY different tunings though, especially on my 7 string guitar.

A tuning - I use this tuning to play a lot of stuff, including Korn, Within Temptation, Evanescence, Nightwish, Dream Theater, Delain. Just about any band that tunes to D on a 6 string or baritone A. Any band that does drop C, all I have to do is drop the D string.

A# tuning - I use this for certain songs that are 1 half step down, like bands like Delain, Metallica, Dream Theater, Masterplan, etc.

B standard - I haven't use this tuning very much mainly because most of the songs I desired to learn how to play were in lower tunings. But when I get around to tuning to this I will learn more Dream Theater songs.

for all songs tuned to C# (Evanescence, Masterplan, Within Temptation, etc.), I use G# tuning, for all songs tuned to C (Dream Theater mainly) I use G tuning (probably the lowest tuning I ever use, I use it to play the live tuned down version of Taking Over Me by Evanescence).

G# tuning - custom - with the last 3 strings all tuned down 1 step (i.e. F#BEBEG#C#) I used this tuning for a song I wrote, mainly so that I could come up with some nice add9 chords on the EBE strings, and also the main chorus had a low open B in it, and the bridge has some uber low F# triplet groove ;)

the lowest I've ever actually tuned my whole 7 string is G tuning with the last 3 strings dropped 1 step, kinda like the last tuning I mentioned and it was FA#D#A#D#GC, this was on the same 10-66 set I've used for a while now and it was very loose, so I ended up tuning back up pretty quickly, lol. I was mainly just goofing around because I was bored and felt like experimenting.

The highest I've ever tuned besides my 6 string right now which is high A, is C tuning with a high F, back when I first got my 7 string it came with 10-56 strings and the B was too floppy so I tuned up a half step.

Back before I got my 7 string, I would tune my 6 string to just about every tuning mirroring the 7 string, and also I would do all the lower 7 string tunings too, so it wasn't much of a different story except just 1 less string.

Well there's my tuning adventures. I just completed a song in the G# tuning I'm in, and I have a section that alternates between the open C# and G# strings, it's pretty cool. Ok the end. Bye. :wavey:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Some other tunings I've experimented with...

DGDGBE (down 1/2 step or two steps): This is a good one on my Les Paul or extended scale guitar for OSI type riffery.
BF#BF#BC# (down 1/2 step): This is cool for both chugging riffs and spacy chords.
DADGAD down two steps: Sounds really rich for fingerpicking, and obviously has the same advantage as Drop D for heavy riffs.
Open C (CGCGCE): Some really nice chords can happen in this one, and Devin Townsend likes it, so it must be cool!
EADGCE: Kind of a soprano guitar tuning. Pretty cool just for getting some unusual natural harmonics and open string chords.
One I tried that was really nice, was F#ADF#AD (open D with the bottom string tuned up a third). Pretty cool.
Open D Minor (DADFAD) is really cool and moody, although for some reason I've never gotten along with normal Open D.
Open Esus2 (EBEF#BE): Great for slide.

Once my Tremel-no arrives I'll probably be using AEADGBE and ADADGBE on the seven. I may even try TDW's idea, and go GDADGBE occasionally.

Has anyone tried the Nick Drake CGCFCE tuning? You can get some beautiful noises out of it.

Drake's BEBEBE tuning is intriguing as well...

Sebastian

Reaction score
Standard - BEADGBE
1-6 - 9-42
7 -52

I play everything on this tuning... especially METAL :metal:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just reading an interview on Ron Jarzombek's webpage, and he says he's recorded a couple of songs in BFBFBF tuning. Could be fun for moving diminished ideas across the neck...

You could try BF#BF#BF# for slightly more 'normal' effects...
Actually, now that I think about it, that would make a great alternative standard tuning...AAAAAAAARGH!!! I wish I hard a hardtail guitar with me!!!!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
What string do you use for your high F#?

Has anyone tried Pat Metheny's acoustic baritone tuning, from the 'One Quiet Night' album?

ADGCEA with the middle two strings strung an octave higher.

Haven't tried Nashville tuning in ages...wouldn't mind giving it a go again...

.009 but it was too tight on a 26.5" scale schecter.

Latest posts

')