Post your tunings and what you do with them

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
BOTH OF MINE ARE IN STANDARD A-440, BUT THE 6 STRING HAS A HIPSHOT TREMSETTER, FULLY FLOATING, SO I CAN DETUNE THE FINE TUNER TO GO TO DROP D & STILL HAVE A FULLY FUNCTIONING FLOATING TREM.

UNTIL I GET OR MAKE ANOTHER TFS6 AND/OR 7, THOSE ARE THE TUNINGS I'VE GOT FOR NOW. I ALSO USE DGCFAD, AS THE SONG REQUIRES.

AS LONG AS I HAVE ONE INSTRUMENT AT A-440 SO I CAN PLAY IT AT CHURCH ON THE WORSHIP TEAM, I'LL BE OK. THE MORE GUITARS I GET, I'LL UTILIZE MORE TUNINGS, FOR TONE AND TO ACCOMODATE MY VOCAL RANGE NEEDS.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
G
D
A
A (one step below low B)

My "Depth's Of Hell" tunning. I always run this through a fuzz+octave down effect. It's E-V-I-L :hbang:.

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
GCGCGCE 10-52 +64 - awesome for that wall of sound and great for 4 note per string patterns, sweeps, 3 octave string skip arpeggios (every other string is an octave :D ) its totally a shredder's tuning. Others who have used it are the Tea Party, Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad, Led Zeppelin... I used to tech for SYL and the sound got to me, its great for clean and distorted.

BrianCarroll

Reaction score
GCGCGCE 10-52 +64 - awesome for that wall of sound and great for 4 note per string patterns, sweeps, 3 octave string skip arpeggios (every other string is an octave :D ) its totally a shredder's tuning. Others who have used it are the Tea Party, Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad, Led Zeppelin... I used to tech for SYL and the sound got to me, its great for clean and distorted.

Do you use that tuning with the RG1527 ? How's the intonation ?
I've got to try this tuning for a long time, but well... too lazy...

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Do you use that tuning with the RG1527 ? How's the intonation ?
I've got to try this tuning for a long time, but well... too lazy...

Hey duder, it works great, but I have to use a 64 guage at least on the low G, I tried using the 60 guages cause Jed and Devin were using those on the Alien tour but on a trem system the 64 seems to work better. I also tried a 70 but it was klinda thick in tone with the stock Ibanez pickups to the point where it would mask other frequencies. I'm getting my Ibanez back in a few hours from my luthier, its been modded with maple body and rosewood strips, and EMG707s so the tone will be a little different and handle the muddiness of the lows a bit better... so I'll let ya know how that goes.. but as far as intonation, I've used it with a Schecter V7 diamond series and it worked out great, and then an LTD-H207 and the stock pickups (SD designed) didn't handle a 64 well... but the intonation was pretty close.

If I could recommend anything, replace stock pickups with something that has less EQ in the low end and go 10-52, then buy a 60,64,68 and see which you like best. Its a lot of troubleshooting, but with my guitars each one was a bit different.

Sorry, I'm kinda all over the place with this, so here's what I found with the Ibanez. 60 works great for tone but if you pick it real hard it will have a dip in pitch (but it sounds sick and can be used to advantages) the 64 is a bit tighter and still has good tone, little bit of pitch bend with hard pick but works great, and the 70 is tight with less pitch bend but kinda muddy in tone.

Hope this helps :)

-Billy

BrianCarroll

Reaction score
Hey duder, it works great, but I have to use a 64 guage at least on the low G, I tried using the 60 guages cause Jed and Devin were using those on the Alien tour but on a trem system the 64 seems to work better. I also tried a 70 but it was klinda thick in tone with the stock Ibanez pickups to the point where it would mask other frequencies. I'm getting my Ibanez back in a few hours from my luthier, its been modded with maple body and rosewood strips, and EMG707s so the tone will be a little different and handle the muddiness of the lows a bit better... so I'll let ya know how that goes.. but as far as intonation, I've used it with a Schecter V7 diamond series and it worked out great, and then an LTD-H207 and the stock pickups (SD designed) didn't handle a 64 well... but the intonation was pretty close.

If I could recommend anything, replace stock pickups with something that has less EQ in the low end and go 10-52, then buy a 60,64,68 and see which you like best. Its a lot of troubleshooting, but with my guitars each one was a bit different.

Sorry, I'm kinda all over the place with this, so here's what I found with the Ibanez. 60 works great for tone but if you pick it real hard it will have a dip in pitch (but it sounds sick and can be used to advantages) the 64 is a bit tighter and still has good tone, little bit of pitch bend with hard pick but works great, and the 70 is tight with less pitch bend but kinda muddy in tone.

Hope this helps :)

-Billy

Thanks a lot Billy,
about the PU, it shouldn't be an issue with my Lundgren M7 :evil:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Standard 7 string for just about everything. Down a 4th (F#, B, E, A, D, F#, B) on my RG7421XL for truly bowel loosening moments. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Got Open C on my acoustic at the moment, inspired by all the talk of it here...

There's some great stuff hidden in that tuning. I'd like to try SYL's sevenstring version if I get the chance.

Wasn't Devin getting an 8 string tuned CGCGCGCE?

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Got Open C on my acoustic at the moment, inspired by all the talk of it here...

There's some great stuff hidden in that tuning. I'd like to try SYL's sevenstring version if I get the chance.

Wasn't Devin getting an 8 string tuned CGCGCGCE?

Will y (keys SYL) was telling me that Dev was getting an 8 string with the extra low C... yikes!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As a variation on Open C, CGCGCD is really good for a celtic-type sound...

Standard 7 string for just about everything. Down a 4th (F#, B, E, A, D, F#, B) on my RG7421XL for truly bowel loosening moments. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

I've been thinking I'd like to try an extended-scale seven and tune GCFBflatEflatGC...I've already got a six in C and love it, but miss the extra string...

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I always use strict 4ths tuning.
I started tuning this way because that major 3nd between the G & B strings in standard tuning always bugged me.

Similarly, I'm looking at Major 3rds (EAbCEAbCE)-- Symetric (can move chord shapes up, down and across.

Why the 4ths? 3rd's will give you two full octaves within four frets.

Ray

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Similarly, I'm looking at Major 3rds (EAbCEAbCE)-- Symetric (can move chord shapes up, down and across.

Ray
Well, viewed in octaves, 4ths gives you 3 octaves in 7 frets.

None-the-less I think your Major 3rds tuning is an excellent idea. Anyone interested in lots of close-voiced chords should probably explore it.

It's the symmetry that's so advantageous in my opinion. It's so nice to have all your chords & scale fingerings stay the same no matter what group of strings you play them on.

Years ago I considered trying a symmetrical tritone tuning. For example F#CF#CF#CF#. Still symmetrical (that'd be 3 octaves in 1 fret), and only two strings to learn the notes on:idea:
but I haven't taken the time to try it :scratch:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Ray

Some jazzers have apparently tried that. It would mean you have a full chromatic scale in one position with now shifts. It would make sightreading much easier.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, viewed in octaves, 4ths gives you 3 octaves in 7 frets.

None-the-less I think your Major 3rds tuning is an excellent idea.
I wish I was good enough to have thought of Major 3rd tuning on my own. These's a bunch of folks doing that. I also foud info about somebody that tunes his guitar in 5ths -- like a Cello. Try Googleing:

guitar "major third" OR "major 3rd" tuning​

I guess it comes down what kinds of runs you typically play, voicings you want (remember, we don't have one string per note), etc.

That's why I'm looking at getting an Agile Interceptor 7-string. It's a 27" scale 7-string. I'm hoping to be able to down tune it 4-5 steps so I can get the range of a "standard tuned" 7-String but still keep the Major 3rds tuning.

Ray

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
One thing that came to me last night that I may try when I get home for the holidays is a 'mirror tuning' like on the stick or Warr guitar.

Standard tuning (or whatever you like) but...
Swop the A for a string one tone higher than the normal G string
Swop the E for a guitar's normal high E

Would be an interesting variation on Nashville tuning...

')