Post your tunings and what you do with them

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
The other day I was experimenting with E A D E G A on a six string, to get some close voicings. Although there are only four different tones, this is not a very intuitive tuning, because the intervals between the strings from low to high are fourth, fourth, whole tone, minor third, whole tone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Has anybody thought about expanding Fripp's "New Standard Tuning" (C,G,D,A,E,G -- parallel 5ths and minor 3rd) to seven strings? Add an extra lower 5th, another higher minor 3rd? I'm not sure what would actually be useful. If you liked dissonance, you could throw in an A on the high end (a 2nd above the G).

FWIW, A 5th lower than the low C would be a G, so you may need to go A,E,B,F#,C#,Ab,B.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Has anybody thought about expanding Fripp's "New Standard Tuning" (C,G,D,A,E,G -- parallel 5ths and minor 3rd) to seven strings? Add an extra lower 5th, another higher minor 3rd? I'm not sure what would actually be useful. If you liked dissonance, you could throw in an A on the high end (a 2nd above the G).

FWIW, A 5th lower than the low C would be a G, so you may need to go A,E,B,F#,C#,Ab,B.

I've contemplated it before, although I've never had the chance due to the string gauge issues.
I'm seriously contemplating ordering some of Garry Goodman's strings to try CGDAEB tuning on my Les Paul...

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Fretless Guitar & Acoustic Guitar
DADGAD

7 Strings
Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I'm in B or Bb standard on 6 strings w/ 15-74 gauge strings.
I don't currently own a 7 string.

I like the thick, heavy sound of lower tunings, but I don't play any leads at all, hence why I don't own a 7. I generally feel more at home with standard tunings, though I use drop A/drop Ab occasionally. I play extreme metal, death metal, black metal, and some thrash.

Reaction score
Epic necrobump. There's a huge tuning thread in General Music.

The mods were trying to merge them all, but they must have missed one.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
i use alot of tunings but i found the ones i like best for diff styles of music,
6 string cort KX-Q1 is C,G,C,F,A,D - prog/tech/hard rock, i uno what it falls under.
7 string is Ibanze 7321 G,D,G,C,F,A,D - tech/experimental/melodic metal.

im also a bass player which is my strong subject

4 string warick corvette- C,G,C,F jazz/mudvayne style
5 string avalance??? iv never heard of it i will post pics one day but the tuning is- G,D,G,C,F and i use this for the experamental

Blazerok

Reaction score
Those are tuning i love most of the time.
-Standard, because its versatile and...well... standard!
-standard w/low A (and E on my 8), because chords voicing are so much easier this way.
-Down full step/ 3 half step, because i love how it sounds on an accoustic!
-Sometime, i like to stay in standard tuning, but tuning one or 2 strings differently, to do some open chords at different place on the fretboard.

')