Pot NOT legalized in California.

• Thread starter GuitaristOfHell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredowty

Reaction score
Smoking weed might be worse than cigarettes if you're comparing one joint to one cigarette

Um, no.

Tobbaco = 440,000 deaths per year in the USA
Alcohol = 75,000 deaths per year
Prescription drugs = 26,000 deaths per year

Marijuana = 0 deaths, ever, anywhere. Overdose is impossible.

If you're pro-prohibition for weed, then you'd better have the same attitude towards alcohol and tobacco (hell, most prescription drugs too). Anything else is just painfully illogical.

For some people the benefits outweigh the possible risks (which are incredibly vague at this point). It DOES help chronic pain, helps people sleep, eat, and the research being done on the cannabinoids (many of which have no psychoactive effects and don't get you high) helping reduce cancer and tumor risk is really fascinating. One of my patients is 65 years old, never smoked in his life (he was a victim of propaganda and thought it was terrible) until he got his card and did, then got his first full night's sleep in 20 years. Does it work for everyone? No. But then again nothing does. The quality of the bud is always a huge factor as well.

Smoking anything will have at least a small negative effect, that's the consensus from just about anyone I think. That's why medical cannabis should be vaporized, or, for the most effective pain relief and the widest variety of cannabinoids: ingesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marijuana = 0 deaths, ever, anywhere. Overdose is impossible.

I'm not an expert on the subject, so you'll have to forgive me, but I believe he wasn't referring to the dangers of "overdosing" on marijuana. I remember hearing that the amount of lung cancer causing toxins were higher when you smoke a joint than in a filtered cigarette. I'm not 100% on how accurate that is, but I'm sure there are people who smoke only pot and have developed a life threatening or ending lung disorder; so "0 deaths" isn't accurate if you're going to include "lung cancer" as a factor in "tobacco related deaths". Likewise, I'm not sure if you're referring to DWI's or just alcohol poisoning in your "alcohol related deaths" but pot *does* impair your motor skills, and it can be assumed that people have smoked pot and operated a motor vehicle and died.

Overall, I get your point, though. Marijuana (as you said, vaporized or ingested) has some significant medical assets, and in consuming for recreation, there are much more dangerous, totally legal things out there. :2c:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
One problem I see with marijuana from an enforcement perspective is that, regardless of legality, it is very likely that DUI would remain a crime, and THC stays in your system for a long time relative to say, alcohol.

This makes it very difficult to consume marijuana and drive a few hours or days later, when any mental symptoms of THC are gone.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
But from my limited knowledge, you can't "Blow" positive for THC like you can for alcohol. They'd have to do a urine test and that isn't really feasible on the side of the road. :lol:

A cop can take you to jail if he feels its necessary after 15 minutes of evaluation. It doesn't matter if you are high/drunk/psycho or not.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Duuuuude, you're totally killing my buzz. Why you gotta be like that, man?

Dude, got an extra Twinkie?

Xodus

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the subject, so you'll have to forgive me, but I believe he wasn't referring to the dangers of "overdosing" on marijuana. I remember hearing that the amount of lung cancer causing toxins were higher when you smoke a joint than in a filtered cigarette. I'm not 100% on how accurate that is, but I'm sure there are people who smoke only pot and have developed a life threatening or ending lung disorder; so "0 deaths" isn't accurate if you're going to include "lung cancer" as a factor in "tobacco related deaths". Likewise, I'm not sure if you're referring to DWI's or just alcohol poisoning in your "alcohol related deaths" but pot *does* impair your motor skills, and it can be assumed that people have smoked pot and operated a motor vehicle and died.
The thing about lung cancer is as far as I know untrue. Marijuana itself does not contain carcinogens. When smoked, the only carcinogenic effect is from the inhalation of burning plant matter. Studies by respected scientific bodies have determined that in fact marijuana can halt the development of certain cancers, lung being one of the primary types, by I think stimulating the death of old cells. Studies have also shown no links between marijuana use and overall mortality. I can link these to you if you want. Is this type of discussion acceptable?

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
The thing about lung cancer is as far as I know untrue. Marijuana itself does not contain carcinogens. When smoked, the only carcinogenic effect is from the inhalation of burning plant matter. Studies by respected scientific bodies have determined that in fact marijuana can halt the development of certain cancers, lung being one of the primary types, by I think stimulating the death of old cells. Studies have also shown no links between marijuana use and overall mortality. I can link these to you if you want. Is this type of discussion acceptable?
:yesway: Pretty much the only reason I wanted legalization. $ and the possible health benefits from it. Since it's not we just have to wait to really see any truth to any theories mentioned in this thread, or not mentioned in here. :wallbash:
The sooner we find out the actual effects, the better especially since you said "in fact marijuana can halt the development of certain cancers, lung being one of the primary types" because cancer runs deep into my family and slowing it down some how will be great. If our calculations are correct about my family my mom is next on it's list :eek:. Also, you said you could link them? Please PM me them.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Maybe if the voters weren't too freaking high to leave their couch and potato chips, and relying on other (pot smoking) citizens to vote, prop 19 may have passed. The whole thing was a joke from the get-go. if you think "my vote doesnt count" is bad enough in presidential elections among the general population, imagine what it's like when the mentality stems in minds of potheads.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
That's bizarre for a musician's forum in my opinion.

My views on the subject:

I am also very disappointed it didn't pass, young people need to get out and vote. I haven't heard any rational intelligent reasons for voting "No" besides a bunch of weed in people's yards is ugly.

How is that bizarre? This is a PG13 forum. You wan't to be advocating drug use to extreme-minors? We might not have a lot but rules are rules.

Also, posting bill hicks (Thor rest his soul) doesn't make it okay :lol:

Back on topic: I used to threaten to go home if any of my friends tried to smoke pot, which was incredibly selfish. I have absolutely nothing against the drug itself but a lot of the people over here who smoke pot annoy the shit out of me. My best friend is the most annoying person ever when he's stoned. He tries to explain 'The Matrix' to me, as if I'm such a feeble minded person due to my lack of being stoned. :mad:

Still, I was expecting this bill to fail. America is filled with conservative, narrow minded dildos who haven't in the slightest the gumption to look at something in more than one view.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score

Overall, I get your point, though. Marijuana (as you said, vaporized or ingested) has some significant medical assets, and in consuming for recreation, there are much more dangerous, totally legal things out there. :2c:

Also, the amount of paranoid and stoned people accidentally killing themselves for rediculous reasons is probably high up there numerically.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
How is that bizarre? This is a PG13 forum. You want to be advocating drug use to extreme-minors? We might not have a lot but rules are rules.

Also, posting bill hicks (Thor rest his soul) doesn't make it okay :lol:
What? I never said that.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Studies have also shown no links between marijuana use and overall mortality. I can link these to you if you want. Is this type of discussion acceptable?

Not sure if any of this was addressed directly at me but I don't think anybody in this thread suggested marijuana usage promotes immorality, although, it could be argued that willing participating in an activity that is currently illegal is clearly immoral. :shrug:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
At some point, when we were talking about various drugs, I told my son about certain effects of marijuana, including its demotivating properties. I used a few of his friends as examples. Since they had all been really motivated to learn music, and then some of them just completely lost the drive, it was obvious that they were hitting the weed.

My son freaked out, because I was able to peg every one of his friends who were now smoking pot based purely on their no longer caring so much about music, and instead devoting more time to getting high. He *never* touched weed, even though I had never come out strongly against drugs.

It's funny to hear him railing about people when he's on tour, talking about how their getting stoned is fucking up the tour.

You know how some drunks will insist that they're not under the influence much, even though everyone else can tell? Now, imagine that to people who know the signs, someone's marijuana use is just as obvious....

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Not sure if any of this was addressed directly at me but I don't think anybody in this thread suggested marijuana usage promotes immorality, although, it could be argued that willing participating in an activity that is currently illegal is clearly immoral. :shrug:

I think he was referring to MORTALITY and not morality. Mortality = causing death of course. ;)

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score

Cough Mortality

Status
Not open for further replies.
')