Potential Veneer Problems

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm planning on adding a veneer to a Jackson body I have. I'll be doing a few tweaks to the shape as well.
My concern is that once glued, the edge of the veneer will be vulnerable to snags and tear outs etc. I can imagine it snagging on an item of clothing or guitar strap and splintering pieces off.
Does this happen?
Also, would a liberal application of Danish oil affect the glue in any way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
It could, depending on how carefully (or not) you glue it, and the treatment you give the edge. I'm not an expert in veneer, but a couple years ago I did redwood veneers on a headstock and was worried about the same thing. I micro-beveled the edge, maybe a half millimeter with an x-acto knife. And I sealed the edge all around with a light brush of mod podge (the matte stuff). Unfortunately I didn't document the occasion. Can't comment on the Danish Oil as the whole thing was covered with Alsa Super Clear, a urethane gloss.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
You probably don't need a router. Sandpaper or a sharp blade should do enough. Look at any guitar headstock without binding, and you'll be able to see the edge is just verrry slightly rounded.

intortus

Reaction score
Cool I'm with you, thanks!
Wish me luck!

Hey man please documenting as you do this mod? because I'm kinda in your situation right now and I really want to see someone do it first (visual clue I guess). Thanks a million! Hope your mod turn out beautiful.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Once the edges are chamfered or rounded over its fine.
Make sure you have a good flat board to clamp on the top and loads of clamps. If you can get some bigger clamps over into the middle that'll be even better.
Don't apply too much glue or you'll end up with ripples but make sure you apply enough to do the job.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Right then, I'll probably start another thread when completed, mainly because I dont want my work to become a guide for other people, as its a bit slapdash! Well, the veneer gluing aspect. There's enough thorough veneering guides out there without me muddying the waters with bad technique.

However, a few tips - however much weight you think you'll need, double it. I ended up not managing to get enough weight, and that was using a flat board, several G clamps, 2 bags of sand and 40lbs of weights on top. The veneer stuck o...k but I had ripples due to the glue (applied sparingly but still presumably too much) wetting the veneer, and the veneer shrinking. I'm only doing this guitar for myself and its my first attempt. I'm reasonably satisfied.
The tip about sanding the edge/join of the veneer/body worked perfectly.
Another hint would be to bear in mind the grain of the veneer. I used burr walnut and the veneer just crumbled when trying to cut it with a craft knife blade. Scissors ended up producing the best results strangely.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Already done it Tim! I had the board at an angle revealing he forearm cut then used a large bag of very fine sand from a builders merchants (subsequently brushed into the block paving! Two birds one stone) then weights on top of that.

Note: is already modified the cut to be an inch further in towards the centre of the guitar and took about 1/2" off the thickness at the edge. So the angle was shallower. I also made sure it was flat so there was only the shallow curve at the start.

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
I had the same concerns using a copper laminate, as it's edges would not only possibly lift and chip, but also may be sharp.

Turned out to be a non issue after rounding over the edge and putting the finish on.

39D8DECE-4A4C-492B-8D59-5BABBE8D2886_zpskgkrpd7o.jpg

timbryant99

Reaction score
Already done it Tim! I had the board at an angle revealing he forearm cut then used a large bag of very fine sand from a builders merchants (subsequently brushed into the block paving! Two birds one stone) then weights on top of that.

Outstanding. Very good work. I've only ever heard of people using a vacuum system for that. I'm glad to hear there is another way.

')