Power Amp for PPC212

andyjanson

Reaction score
Hey, new guy here - basically, im thinking of switching to a rack system for gigging. The axe fx is way outside my budget, so im thinking of going with a GSP1101 based on the premise that if its good enough for dave mustaine....

Thing is, its impossible to garuantee a decent, reliable PA to put it through at the venues i play, so i'll have to get a power amp to put it through my orange cab, which is a PPC212.

But herein lies the problem! The cab is 16 ohm and has a rating of 120 watts. Tube power amps tend to be outside my budget, and i am frankly struggling to find a 16 ohm SS one with a rating that low. And besides, i have a hunch that a SS amp rated at below 120W wont cut the mustard live so to speak.

So can anyone help me? Are there any amps out there to suit my cab? can i run an 8 ohm amp into my cab? Will something like a velocity 300 (rated at 300W) destroy my speakers?

If none appear suitable, would a powered cab be a better solution?

Sorry but i literally know nothing about this kind of thing :lol:

Thanks in advance
Andy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian-XI

Reaction score
An 8 ohm amp will not kill your cab. Having the cab impedance higher than the amp output rating is fine. When it's the other way around however (eg, 8 ohm amp out into 4 ohm cab), you run into the problem of the power amp driving the speakers harder than the amp is designed.

Also, your cab power rating doesn't have to match the power output of an amp. The velocity 300 will be perfectly fine. Don't go with zillion watts or anything silly, but the amp can be higher power than the cab. (FWIW I have the same cab and am powering it with a matrix gt800fx)

Hope this helps.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
You can run a Velocity 300 fine, it'll just be less loud on 16ohms than 8ohms (or 4).
You could always rewire your cab to 4 ohms, it's easy and costs nothing.

Genome

Reaction score
Hey, new guy here - basically, im thinking of switching to a rack system for gigging. The axe fx is way outside my budget, so im thinking of going with a GSP1101 based on the premise that if its good enough for dave mustaine....

Thing is, its impossible to garuantee a decent, reliable PA to put it through at the venues i play, so i'll have to get a power amp to put it through my orange cab, which is a PPC212.

But herein lies the problem! The cab is 16 ohm and has a rating of 120 watts. Tube power amps tend to be outside my budget, and i am frankly struggling to find a 16 ohm SS one with a rating that low. And besides, i have a hunch that a SS amp rated at below 120W wont cut the mustard live so to speak.

So can anyone help me? Are there any amps out there to suit my cab? can i run an 8 ohm amp into my cab? Will something like a velocity 300 (rated at 300W) destroy my speakers?

If none appear suitable, would a powered cab be a better solution?

Sorry but i literally know nothing about this kind of thing :lol:

Thanks in advance
Andy

Where in Reading are you based mate? :cool:

Funnily enough, I have a PPC212, and run my head through it which is 8 ohms, and it's absolutely fine. :yesway:

vancouvermetalguitarguy

Reaction score
amp can be higher power than the cab. (FWIW I have the same cab and am powering it with a matrix gt800fx)

I'm not arguing that's not true, but I heard mixed replies for these type of questions. Some say the wattage of the head should not exceed the cab otherwise, you might blow a speaker or smt like that, but others are like you and believes there's no problems.

What's the actual physics behind this when the higher wattage amp is running into a lower wattage cab??

Anyone can say with confidence and back up their statement with some knowledge??

Enselmis

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that's not true, but I heard mixed replies for these type of questions. Some say the wattage of the head should not exceed the cab otherwise, you might blow a speaker or smt like that, but others are like you and believes there's no problems.

What's the actual physics behind this when the higher wattage amp is running into a lower wattage cab??

Anyone can say with confidence and back up their statement with some knowledge??

You might blow a speaker if you turn the amp up to the absolute max volume it's ever gonna go. Short of that I think you'll be in the clear. Just be reasonable. I'm using a PPC212 as well with an Invader 100 and I think I've turned it up past 2 or 3 on maybe a single occasion in the last few years.

andyjanson

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies everyone, its all usefull. Tell you the truth though, im more confused than when i started! :scratch: Ive found lots of conflicting opinions haha

I did see this though: CarvinWorld.com International : DCM200L ULTRA LIGHT 200W POWER AMP
Looking through the specs it says it will do 16 ohms at 120 watts - exactly the same specs as my cab - whaddaya think? Look good?

Genome

Reaction score
Just outside Reading actually - newbury area - but all band activity takes place in reading haha - you heard of plug n play studios?

Yeah, but we practice at Whitehouse just outside of the town centre. Criminally underrated, way better than Plug n Play.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
If you're going with the 1101, it really needs a tube power amp. Its the difference of it sounding and feeling like an amp or a cd recording of an amp. I've run mine with a Velocity 250 and thru my Peavey. If ya cant find a used Peavey Classic series or Carvin, snag up a cheap tube head. Maybe a lunch box style one with an fx loop.

')