Power conditioner advice

• Thread starter davewinter85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question.

A while ago my fellow guitarist was running a phonics power conditioner through his axe fx. Seemed like a good idea to negate power spikes etc. i was wondering if the same logic could be applied for a valve amp? Silly question I know, but I don't want my prized series one going up in smoke any time soon.

He had something similar to this if that helps.
32678_l.jpg

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Those things are glorified power-boards with surge protection.

If you're serious, you want something with Voltage regulation as well...

Trypios

Reaction score
I use a Furman PL-8E, similar to this phonic one. I'm not sure if it does help negate surge spikes, many reviewers say that those units are just very expensive power strips and you're safe only with a UPS

However, it's been 4 years I'm using it and I'm still satisfied. You'll have to go through the boring task of converting your plugs to male kettle leads

TheProgWay

Reaction score
I'm gonna agree with KingAenarion's advice.

I would also like to add that if the "power conditioners" do not have a dedicated heavy transformer, they aren't doing very much "conditioning". You should consider APC Line-R's. They're amazing for the price, extremely cheap as well.

Cheers

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Let's be honest five minutes: a real power conditioner is only useful if you go to places with vastly oudated power grids and houses with 40 years old electric installation.
If you're not a touring musician...you don't need one. The goal is to regulate the voltage so the tube amp always gets the same stuff and therefore sounds the same. If you play digital stuff (pods straight to FOH etc) it's useless too.

If you play at home and at a few local shows an entry level "glorified power strip" will do the trick nicely and protect your equipment from surges.

You will notice I refrained from trolling the california power gri....oops.

')