Power Metal!

Ruski

Reaction score
First post ever on here, any power metal fans out there? What do you like about it? Any band suggestions? I had a huge realization that Power Metal is where its at for me, I love all sorts of music and I love metal but power metal gives me the feels! One of the few genres of music that I get pumped and seriously all sorts of emotions pour out of me whenever I here some avantasia or rhapsody. Anyways does anyone else get like that? Or is it just me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
Tad Morose are great, check out their albums ''Undead'',''Matters of the dark'' and ''Modus Vivendi''.

Ruski

Reaction score
Thanks, ill check that out. I really wanna discover more power metal bands. I really love Blind Guardian, rhapsody of fire, Avantasia, Edguy. A lot of just big name bands, I know there are a lot of sweet gems out there. My friend went to Wales and he got me a copy of a Steel Wing album and those guys are great, they are a perfect mix of Judas priest and iron maiden.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
I like the first two Masterplan albums, love the second one to be exact <3

Ruski

Reaction score
Sonata Arctica! I haven't listened to them in forever. What happened to Jani? Is he still playing with a band?

Dr Perkinstien

Reaction score
Is spiral architect or twisted into form considered power metal? I like them and control denied. Never could get into the dungeons and dragon element a lot of the bands have though. I always think of dio walking around with that sword in holy diver and can't take it seriously.

Ruski

Reaction score
Haha I know what you mean, for awhile I was a bit thrown off about the fantasy style of power metal, but now I love it, I love all of it. "Ghost love score" by Nightwish is amazing, especially the live version. That opera/choir style in power metal is probably one of my favorite aspects of the genre.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Not really into that many bands in this genre but I'll throw in a second vote for Lost horizon and also add Blind Guardian (Nightfall in Middle Earth, A night at the opera and Imaginations from the other side are all fantastic albums from their discography).
Also, Kamelot's "The black halo" is pretty awesome. Though I never got into any of their other material.

DXL

Reaction score
Iced Earth for some good American power metal \m/

Don Vito

Reaction score
Sonata Arctica! I haven't listened to them in forever. What happened to Jani? Is he still playing with a band?
He's a blogger.
Jani hates you all

I think he's working on Sydanpuu, his short lived side project from years back(he revived it). Prior to that, he released an acoustic album with Timo from Stratovarius. Additionally, he helped out with the latest Stratovarius album Nemesis.

He also hinted at a new Cain's Offering(short lived power metal supergroup from a few years ago) album, but not set in stone or anytime soon.

Ruski

Reaction score
I've seen on a lot of websites about power metal mention children of bodom as a power metal band. I'm a big bodom fan and I don't understand what makes them power metal?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Is spiral architect or twisted into form considered power metal?
NO! They are not. Those bands are both technical progressive metal bands. Totally different in terms of composition and atmosphere. These are legit good bands.

I used to be able to listen to power metal when I was a teenager, but not so much nowadays.

I always like Helloween and Rhapsody. From Helloween I'd recommend Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt II for their old style, and Rabbit Don't Come Easy for their newer style.

For Rhapsody I'd recommend Dawn Of Victory.

Of course there's good ol' Dragonforce as well. I only ever liked their 2nd album.

Also the band Time Requiem is alright, but half the time it's just ridiculously way too fast noodle solos.

vibrantgermancities

Reaction score
Falconer. The Mathias Blad stuff, at least... his voice is superb.

EDIT: Speaking of which, Kamelot back when they had Roy Khan. Cracking voice.

Last edited:

The Mirror

Reaction score
Imaginations From The Otherside and Nightfall in Middle-Earth are the embodiments of Power Metal.

Blind Guardian is, was and will always be my #1 in Power Metal. They have only 1 1/2 albums which I don't dig in their entirety.

Make an educated guess :rolleyes:

I'm especially excited about the (in)famous Orchestra-Project which is in development for about 20 Years and planned to be done in 2016... Maybe