Power/pre amp help?

Mourningson

Reaction score
HOLA HOMIES!

Quick question...

I'm starting to build a rack head. More specificly building something so that i can use a Pod HD pro live. Right now i have a Randall v2 as a head but it's not "floating my boat" so to speak. What would i need to get to have a head that I could use to run a Pod HD Pro live? Difference between power amp and pre amp? If i could use a Engl e530 as a preamp? if no why? I want to learn more about this and i feel like an idiot for asking.

Exess info: Im just shooting the have a total of 4 tones to go back and forth from. a warm clean channel with a heavy delay, a lead clean channel (more midy with a reverb for articulation and "mood"), a heavy hi gain (bass and mid) channel, and a lead channel very similar with less bass and maybe a slight reverb. The pod will save me a large sum of $$ o_O.

So help maybe?

BTW, 2 Randall RT Series RT412CX 100W as far as cabniets but willing to change them if thier not a could combination with what I'm trying to do. I've only heard a V2 thru them and its SUPER bassy. I'm wanting the low mid end. THANX

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
With the Pod HD Pro you don't need a preamp, because it IS a preamp. What you need is a power amp. There's lot of options there
tubes : Carvin TS100, any Fryette/VHT, Mesa 2:90, etc...
SS : Rocktron Velocity 300, Matrix GT800FX (best), ART SLA-2, etc...
Then you need a good cab.

LukeNecraG

Necrabeast
Reaction score
If you're only looking for 4 sounds then the POD may be overkill because it's designed to give as many tones as possible. So something like an ENGL pre-amp may suit your simplistic needs a bit better. Just run it into a decent power amp (like the ones already mentioned), an effects processor and a cab of your choosing. The V2 is a bassy amp so the RT412CXs should be fine with another pre/power amp.
I know how you feel about the no cash thing. So you may end up doing what's cheapest. Hope this helps.

Mourningson

Reaction score
If you're only looking for 4 sounds then the POD may be overkill because it's designed to give as many tones as possible. So something like an ENGL pre-amp may suit your simplistic needs a bit better. Just run it into a decent power amp (like the ones already mentioned), an effects processor and a cab of your choosing. The V2 is a bassy amp so the RT412CXs should be fine with another pre/power amp.
I know how you feel about the no cash thing. So you may end up doing what's cheapest. Hope this helps.

Four primary tones haha my bad for writing it that way :shred:

Mourningson

Reaction score
With the Pod HD Pro you don't need a preamp, because it IS a preamp. What you need is a power amp. There's lot of options there
tubes : Carvin TS100, any Fryette/VHT, Mesa 2:90, etc...
SS : Rocktron Velocity 300, Matrix GT800FX (best), ART SLA-2, etc...
Then you need a good cab.

Are my cabs really THAT bad?

Latest posts

')