Powerchords out of tune when in dropped tuning

• Thread starter shanike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shanike

Reaction score
there's a weird problem I experience on both my 6-string and 7-string.

when I use dropped tuning and thus play the powerchords on the low strings with a single finger, it the chords simply won't harmonize. I thought this is simply because there's not enough tension in the string (dropped tuning) and thus I "bend" the string on the fret, but consider this:

7string tuning = drop A
scale = 26"
low string tension = .70

also,

6string tuning = drop A#
24,75"
low string tension = .62

my current workaround is that I do not tune the low string to pitch, but slightly off, so it's a little flat.

that way, when I fret a powerchord, it would intonate properly. :wallbash:

specifically the 7-string has been setup by a professional luthier, the nut has been adjusted for that specific string tension, etc...

any idea what I'm doing wrong?

many thanx in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murmel

Reaction score
It might be that you are pressing too hard, try a lighter touch. I bend my strings all the time if I press too hard because my frets are really big, but I have light touch on my fretting hand so it doesn't bother me.

Or you just need to intonate the guitar...

edsped

Reaction score
If the octaves on all strings are in tune then you must be pressing down too hard or unevenly or pushing towards the bridge or away from the bridge on some of the strings or slightly bending some of the strings somehow or something.

Just tune everything so that you find the best compromise of what you want to do. I tend to tune my guitar by using a tuner and then checking all the strings around frets 7-12 by playing octaves and 5ths and fine tuning so that they all sound in tune that way. Same kind of thing with my B string, I use a .52 and tune it by playing it open and hitting the octave on the E string and also by playing power chords lower on the neck and hitting it as hard as I normally would. This usually ends up putting it a little flatter than my other strings.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the action like on your guitars? Is it high? High action will cause a guitar to play sharp, when you fret strings.

Overtone

Reaction score
That's pretty weird that they are in tune when you're in standard, but out of tune when you're dropped. I agree that you should check the intonation. the 12th fret is a good place for you to intonate so that the string is in tune both open, fretted @ 12, and with the 12th fret harmonic. That said, you could technically choose any fret you want... on most guitars you're not going to have perfect intonation on every fret so you have to pick where you want the sweet spot to be. It could depend on your playing style, the string in question (though it's unlikely you wouldn't want to use the same fret for all strings, that would not be ideal for chords!), the type of guitar, etc.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Youll have to find a compromise with intonation. Your finger touches the strings differently with a drop power chord than in regular tuning or single string...that's obvious. This kind of quirky stuff is not uncommon. For example, I have to intonate my G a bit flat, because my ring finger always sounds a bit sharp on it...:nuts:

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing wrong, tune the low string a bit flat. Thats the problem with low tuning and big ass strings. Big strings have more mass, can't beat the laws of physics. As for intonation I've found a lot of guitars especially 6 strings don't have enough adjust ability to intonate properly for really low tunings. YOu might want to look into a longer neck scale if you cant adapt.

shanike

Reaction score
actually, I've started using a different tuner to tune the 7-string and now it's OK. the one in GuitarRig is horrible :/
probably the fact that it's more difficult to get a stable reading with dropped tuning also commited to the overall bad experience.

off-topic: what's your favorite software tuner? (possibly for Mac OS)

this issue, however, remains on the 6-string. I'm going to change tuning to drop B, this should be pretty acceptable for a Les Paul scale.

off-topic2: there's this band which uses dropB / dropA#, they also play the same axe as I do (ESP eclipse), I watched their live dvd the other day and could see clearly that their G string is unwound, which makes me think they use much thinner strings.
how come? what strings are these?

shanike

Reaction score
for the Les Paul scale (24.75"), tuning up to drop-B and switching to heavier strings solved the problem.

damn, it seems I simply like the feel of looser strings, but can't afford to use them because of the intonation problem described above :/

still, don't understand how can anyone use .58 string for the B string (tuned to B) on a standard 7-string scale, 25.5" - a lot of 7-string sets offer these

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
actually, I've started using a different tuner to tune the 7-string and now it's OK.

You sure about this? I'm tuning with my laptop with a AP tuner, Windows, normal Realtek soundcard, no problem on mine.

Btw, that "out of tune" issue is very common even in some other people as well....I think~~ I listen to Bland Street Bloom by SikTh and feels like their open 6th string DOES sounds a bit out tune during the breakdowns...

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
12 pounds of tension on your six-string's lowest string is pretty light, considering that most sets get progressively tighter the lower down you go. I don't think there's enough tension on it to prevent it going flat from just fretting it. Most people have at least 14 pounds on their highest string.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
for the Les Paul scale (24.75"), tuning up to drop-B and switching to heavier strings solved the problem.

damn, it seems I simply like the feel of looser strings, but can't afford to use them because of the intonation problem described above :/

still, don't understand how can anyone use .58 string for the B string (tuned to B) on a standard 7-string scale, 25.5" - a lot of 7-string sets offer these

Just wondering since you didn't seem to directly address this... did you intonate your guitars yet?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Nothing wrong, tune the low string a bit flat. Thats the problem with low tuning and big ass strings. Big strings have more mass, can't beat the laws of physics. As for intonation I've found a lot of guitars especially 6 strings don't have enough adjust ability to intonate properly for really low tunings. YOu might want to look into a longer neck scale if you cant adapt.

I had this issue, and I tuned my low string a little bit more flat than the tuner said. It worked. :yesway:

Reaction score
actually, I've started using a different tuner to tune the 7-string and now it's OK. the one in GuitarRig is horrible :/
probably the fact that it's more difficult to get a stable reading with dropped tuning also commited to the overall bad experience.

off-topic: what's your favorite software tuner? (possibly for Mac OS)

this issue, however, remains on the 6-string. I'm going to change tuning to drop B, this should be pretty acceptable for a Les Paul scale.

off-topic2: there's this band which uses dropB / dropA#, they also play the same axe as I do (ESP eclipse), I watched their live dvd the other day and could see clearly that their G string is unwound, which makes me think they use much thinner strings.
how come? what strings are these?
they just like the feel of having stings that arnt ultra tight, you don't have to have really thick strings to play in drop tunings. The strings are probably 11gauges or a heavy top light bottom set of 12gauges.

')