Powerlifting. Anyone on here do it?

• Thread starter Defyantly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I weigh 185, my last max from October was 285 bench, 385 squat and 475 deadlift.

Heaviest front squat to date was 275, but that was 3-4 months ago.
That's an impressive deadlift and squat! Kinda makes your bench fail in comparison. Is it a preference thing or a mobility thing that holds you back on it? I remember that I solely focused on my deads for a while and it ended up making my other numbers drop a little but it only took a little maintenance to get it back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, those are fantastic numbers dude.

Thanks homie. Lots of hard work for sure.

That's an impressive deadlift and squat! Kinda makes your bench fail in comparison. Is it a preference thing or a mobility thing that holds you back on it? I remember that I solely focused on my deads for a while and it ended up making my other numbers drop a little but it only took a little maintenance to get it back.

Back in 2012 I benched 305 once, but I've never come that close again. I've had some mobility issues in my right shoulder that come and go; honestly I'm not a huge fan of benching in general, but when I do it I prefer DB's over BB's any day.

Squats are still a point of contention as well. Aside from IED's and years of abuse I've been lucky to hit what I could. Needless to say, they're still a work in progress. I went back to the drawing board recently with much lighter weight and more emphasis on form.

Finally, deadlifting is by far my favorite day in the gym. The benefits and feeling of knowing where I began to where I am now are extremely motivating, and I love pointing others I lift with in the same direction.

/end :D

Last edited:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Quick q's for you guys:

General rep range? How many sets do you aim for per lift type?

How do you know when you're ready to add more weight to your lifts? For me if I can hit 8-9 clean and deep lifts/squats then I need to bump up the weight and reset my reps back down to 5-6 per set, until I hit 8-9 reps again. How about you?

Do you drop the weights or lower? I've done both but I don't feel a difference, so I just lower them now out of courtesy to others.

And how about that rush when you're walking in fresh with no soreness and just about to start your first set? Man someone might as well bottle that feeling and sell it on the black market lol...

My program generally has me working up to a max effort single/double/triple (usually with chains/bands) for my main lift and then anywhere from 5 sets of 10-15 to 3 sets of 30 on accessories. Sometimes my coach is pure evil and programs in 200 hamstring curls at the end of a Squat session or 200 banded push downs on a Bench session. I rarely just do straight weight main lifts these days unless we're finding an opener for a competition or if we've reached the end of a peak phase.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I'm doing strong lifts 5x5 madcow program at the moment. It's not to bad only week two so far though.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Recently started training for more aesthetic purposes, but I got my start in fitness with powerlifting and still program heavy compound movements every day. Best lifts are 475 squat, 305 bench, 485 deadlift, and 195x2 OHP at roughly 180 BW. I'm trying to base my training on the ways of the old school BB guys like Dorian Yates and the Mentzer brothers. So far, it's working out well. I've stayed roughly the same weight but have noticeably seen a big difference in my physique and musculature.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
Good job man keep it up! Those or fantastic numbers! The old school way of training will definitely get you where you want to be.

Chiba666

Reaction score
My program generally has me working up to a max effort single/double/triple (usually with chains/bands) for my main lift and then anywhere from 5 sets of 10-15 to 3 sets of 30 on accessories. Sometimes my coach is pure evil and programs in 200 hamstring curls at the end of a Squat session or 200 banded push downs on a Bench session. I rarely just do straight weight main lifts these days unless we're finding an opener for a competition or if we've reached the end of a peak phase.
Where abouts in Salisbury do you train? Used to live in Harnham but currently overseas and due to come back to Salisbury later this year.

My numbers are not so impressive. 286lbs squat, 198lbs bench and 375lbs deadift. 1 Year off training at around 195lbs body weight

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Where abouts in Salisbury do you train? Used to live in Harnham but currently overseas and due to come back to Salisbury later this year.

My numbers are not so impressive. 286lbs squat, 198lbs bench and 375lbs deadift. 1 Year off training at around 195lbs body weight

I train in Alpha and Omega performance, it's down in the Church fields estate.

Come in and see Adam. He'll help you push those numbers ;)

Millul

Reaction score
Yep, I've been doing it for a few years.
Got up to semi-decent numbers (190-130-202.5 @ 77, kilos) then an injury and overseas work have been keeping me back in the last 3 years - let's see if I can do something better in 2019!

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I'm not a pure powerlifter, but I hope a more general powerlifting style strength training/strongman type stuff counts enough here?

I did a mock meet early January to test my numbers for the first time in a while.

Squat: 325lbs
Bench: 240lbs (with a slingshot, I have a fucked left shoulder/scapula)
Farmer's Deadlift: 450lbs

I got 500 about 6 inches off the floor but just didn't have enough gas left in the tank.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Yep, I've been doing it for a few years.
Got up to semi-decent numbers (190-130-202.5 @ 77, kilos) then an injury and overseas work have been keeping me back in the last 3 years - let's see if I can do something better in 2019!
I'm not a pure powerlifter, but I hope a more general powerlifting style strength training/strongman type stuff counts enough here?

I did a mock meet early January to test my numbers for the first time in a while.

Squat: 325lbs
Bench: 240lbs (with a slingshot, I have a fucked left shoulder/scapula)
Farmer's Deadlift: 450lbs

I got 500 about 6 inches off the floor but just didn't have enough gas left in the tank.

Nice numbers guys!

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
How is everybody doing in here?

Would anyone be interested in throwing in monthly stats or something?

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I'm running a volume/accumulation/hypertrophy/whatever the fuck you want to call it block right now (and likely will be for a good 6-9 months) so my numbers are nothing impressive (also, MyoReps can fuck right off) but I'm game for it.

Millul

Reaction score
Working on some kind of Russian program (from coach Askold Surovetskiy) and I'm getting close to my old numbers, I guess: last week I did a few solid bench singles at 125kg, and squatted 165 kgs x2 x3 sets, so 130 and 180 kgs respectively should be there.

Let's see where my DL is...

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I'm running a volume/accumulation/hypertrophy/whatever the fuck you want to call it block right now (and likely will be for a good 6-9 months) so my numbers are nothing impressive (also, MyoReps can fuck right off) but I'm game for it.

Sounds good man, don't worry about your numbers, it was more of a comparison against yourself per month. Also my numbers are terrible so don't worry!

Working on some kind of Russian program (from coach Askold Surovetskiy) and I'm getting close to my old numbers, I guess: last week I did a few solid bench singles at 125kg, and squatted 165 kgs x2 x3 sets, so 130 and 180 kgs respectively should be there.

Let's see where my DL is...

Nice, what sort of work is in your program?