Powerlifting. Anyone on here do it?

• Thread starter Defyantly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I guess to start it off then.

BW: 85kg
Squat: 185kg
Bench: 130kg
Deadlift: 222.5kg

Thinking on it, monthly might be too frequent as I PB maybe once every 3 months if I'm lucky.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
Anyone here good at sumo deadlifts? I've been trying to work on my technique but it hasn't been going that well. But today I realized that I have my shoulders in front of the bar and because of that it moves forward away from my shins after it leaves the floor. However, if i try to sit back more and have my shoulders more directly above the bar, I fall backwards! Other than that, it feels like a stronger position, but balance is terrible. It's like all the weight ends up on my heels and I topple backwards, regardless of stance width.

Anyone got any tips? :\

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Anyone here good at sumo deadlifts? I've been trying to work on my technique but it hasn't been going that well. But today I realized that I have my shoulders in front of the bar and because of that it moves forward away from my shins after it leaves the floor. However, if i try to sit back more and have my shoulders more directly above the bar, I fall backwards! Other than that, it feels like a stronger position, but balance is terrible. It's like all the weight ends up on my heels and I topple backwards, regardless of stance width.

Anyone got any tips? :\

I don't generally do Sumo as I can pull more conventional but I'll do my best. How is your squat? Do you have a similar issue with balance when getting to depth? I treat Sumo more like squatting out of a deadlift (although I fire from my glutes rather than quads in Sumo) and just focus on pushing my chest up whilst driving my feet into the floor, snapping my hips through at the top. It might be just a case of finding that centre of gravity where you can sit into it without tipping. How wide is your sumo stance? If it's super wide maybe try bringing it in a little? I have my feet at the unknurled rings on the bar for width. Also how turned out are your feet? Try experimenting with that as it can make a huge difference.

Last edited:

gnoll

Reaction score
I don't generally do Sumo as I can pull more conventional but I'll do my best. How is your squat? Do you have a similar issue with balance when getting to depth? I treat Sumo more like squatting out of a deadlift (although I fire from my glutes rather than quads in Sumo) and just focus on pushing my chest up whilst driving my feet into the floor, snapping my hips through at the top. It might be just a case of finding that centre of gravity where you can sit into it without tipping. How wide is your sumo stance? If it's super wide maybe try bringing it in a little? I have my feet at the unknurled rings on the bar for width. Also how turned out are your feet? Try experimenting with that as it can make a huge difference.

Actually I don't squat :p I can't get any sort of depth without terrible butt-wink so I've just given it up.

My stance is pretty wide now, but I feel like it doesn't make a huge difference for the balance, because it's not really the top of the lift that's the problem but more that my center of gravity seems to be way behind the bar at the start of the lift... Maybe my arms are too short and I'm just not made to deadlift :\

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Actually I don't squat :p I can't get any sort of depth without terrible butt-wink so I've just given it up.

My stance is pretty wide now, but I feel like it doesn't make a huge difference for the balance, because it's not really the top of the lift that's the problem but more that my center of gravity seems to be way behind the bar at the start of the lift... Maybe my arms are too short and I'm just not made to deadlift :\

Ah fair enough, have you tried conventional?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score

this probably sounds dumb, but have you tried taking off your shoes? I find that I deadlift better barefoot or in flat soled shoes (like chucks or weightlifting shoes). Ideally with deadlift you want a straight pull, with the bar basically scraping against your shins. The movement really isn't very different from conventional deadlift, so I'd get someone to watch your form to see exactly what you're doing.

gnoll

Reaction score
Ah fair enough, have you tried conventional?

I used to do conventional actually (with terrible form!) before I switched to sumo and I felt that with sumo I had an easier time keeping my back straight. But I might actually try some conventionals again, could be interesting to see how they feel in comparison!

this probably sounds dumb, but have you tried taking off your shoes? I find that I deadlift better barefoot or in flat soled shoes (like chucks or weightlifting shoes). Ideally with deadlift you want a straight pull, with the bar basically scraping against your shins. The movement really isn't very different from conventional deadlift, so I'd get someone to watch your form to see exactly what you're doing.

I use wrestling shoes with pretty flat soles that I kinda like. I used to do it barefoot but found when I switched to sumo that I wanted more grip.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
I used to do conventional actually (with terrible form!) before I switched to sumo and I felt that with sumo I had an easier time keeping my back straight. But I might actually try some conventionals again, could be interesting to see how they feel in comparison!

I have short arms relative to the width of my chest and shoulders, and I'm only 5'7" (205 lbs) so if you're anywhere near that I think we may be in the same boat in terms of the challenges I have too.

I found a world of difference in establishing good posture and balance when I went from lifting with bars to free weights. I was (still am) able to control the movement of the dumbbells as my body requires from start to finish, so it made things a lot easier rather than struggling on a bar.

Specifically with Sumo i do it with one dumbbell, one-handed with the other resting above my kneecap on the other leg to maintain balance throughout the lift. Have you tried that?

gnoll

Reaction score
I have short arms relative to the width of my chest and shoulders, and I'm only 5'7" (205 lbs) so if you're anywhere near that I think we may be in the same boat in terms of the challenges I have too.

I found a world of difference in establishing good posture and balance when I went from lifting with bars to free weights. I was (still am) able to control the movement of the dumbbells as my body requires from start to finish, so it made things a lot easier rather than struggling on a bar.

Specifically with Sumo i do it with one dumbbell, one-handed with the other resting above my kneecap on the other leg to maintain balance throughout the lift. Have you tried that?

Yeah I'm 5'6 :(

Hmm, interesting but I kinda wanna be able to use a bar :\ And dumbbells don't really get heavy enough...

Millul

Reaction score
Guys I'm 5'5, c'mon :cheers::cheers: and a lot of world class lifters are even shorter.
To understand what a good sumo looks like, look at videso from Andrey Belyaev, Hassan El Belghitti, and alos my training partner Massimiliano Buccioni has amazing form and should have some vids out on YT (not really World Champs podium level, but still 290kg in the -83 class).

gnoll

Reaction score
Well, I've done some more reading on this and I think I've had my hips too high. With my hips more in line with my knees I can keep my arms more vertical and avoid the bar swinging forward. Unfortunately that's a pretty crappy starting position and for sumo I can't properly open up my hips when they're that low. So I'm gonna give up sumo. I'm gonna go back to conventional and if I can't get those to feel okay either I'm gonna give up deadlifts altogether. Feels pretty shit since I've spent so much time on it but so far this exercise has mostly brought me frustration and it's probably not worth it in the long run.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Any bodybuilders in here? We like to lift tooooooo

Finishing up a cut right now actually

PL lifts at least : 325 bench, 385 squat, 455 deadlift

Which one do I like the best I wonder

AxeHappy

Reaction score
While there seems to be a certain segment of the powerlifting and strongman community that likes to bag on Body Builders, I think we can all come together in the shared experience of mocking CrossFitters. ;)

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Well, I've done some more reading on this and I think I've had my hips too high. With my hips more in line with my knees I can keep my arms more vertical and avoid the bar swinging forward. Unfortunately that's a pretty crappy starting position and for sumo I can't properly open up my hips when they're that low. So I'm gonna give up sumo. I'm gonna go back to conventional and if I can't get those to feel okay either I'm gonna give up deadlifts altogether. Feels pretty shit since I've spent so much time on it but so far this exercise has mostly brought me frustration and it's probably not worth it in the long run.

Interesting - I personally find I can't open my hips any higher than that! Have you got a coach? Might be worth getting one for a few sessions just to evaluate your conventional form.

gnoll

Reaction score
Interesting - I personally find I can't open my hips any higher than that! Have you got a coach? Might be worth getting one for a few sessions just to evaluate your conventional form.

Yeah maybe. I think first I'll just see how it feels for a bit.