Powerlifting. Anyone on here do it?

• Thread starter Defyantly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
While there seems to be a certain segment of the powerlifting and strongman community that likes to bag on Body Builders, I think we can all come together in the shared experience of mocking CrossFitters. ;)

Obligatory:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Competed last weekend at another qualifier and walked away with a 525kg total.

185kg Squat, 115kg Bench and 225kg Deadlift.

It was my first meet using knee wraps and I just didn't use them effectively, missed depth on 192.5kg and couldn't recover from 195kg. Haven't trained enough in them to get the most out of them. My bench press was just far weaker than usual for some reason, dipped half way up on 120kg and got red lighted all round. I played it safe on Deadlift, I probably could have ground out 232.5kg but my second lift (215kg) just didn't feel right. Nevermind, I was already qualified for Euro's so this meet was just for experience, however it has highlighted some glaring flaws.

Anyone got meets coming up? How are you all getting on?

Millul

Reaction score
Congrats on the meet - they almost never go as planned, but you got a total in, so that's what count!

Euros, you mean the WPA in Ireland?

Training is going pretty well, let's see after the next program...no meets planned yet this year, as I have a very unpredictable work schedule ("You need to be in Korea on Wednesday" kind of schedule).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Rushed into a set of 225 kg x 5 rack pulls and dislocated a rib. Looking for a new hobby now lol.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Congrats on the meet - they almost never go as planned, but you got a total in, so that's what count!

Euros, you mean the WPA in Ireland?

Training is going pretty well, let's see after the next program...no meets planned yet this year, as I have a very unpredictable work schedule ("You need to be in Korea on Wednesday" kind of schedule).

Cheers man. It's the AWPC/WPC in Ireland. I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Good to hear about your training, I know your pain on that work schedule - I get sent here, there and everywhere at the drop of a hat too.

Rushed into a set of 225 kg x 5 rack pulls and dislocated a rib. Looking for a new hobby now lol.

Christ man, that sucks. Get well soon.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Training is ramping up for Euros now.

What kind of monster programs 10 x 30m lengths of sled pulls, 50% bodyweight whilst holding a 20kg slam ball.... :ugh:

mastapimp

Reaction score
Spent the last year or so rehabbing a foot injury and have just now gotten back into heavy lifting w/ squats. Max for squat is at 375 lbs. Haven't gotten back into regular dead lifts yet...all single leg deadlifts with light/moderate weight per my physical therapy. The year I stayed off heavy leg exercises due to my injury saw my bench press increase by 70 lbs and it's now at 325 lbs max.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Well, this week is my rest week before Euro's next week.

The athlete list is confirmed and there are two other lifters in my category. One who I know for a fact has wayyyy bigger numbers than me, the other I have no idea. Someone's got to come last I suppose! :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers man. It's the AWPC/WPC in Ireland. I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Good to hear about your training, I know your pain on that work schedule - I get sent here, there and everywhere at the drop of a hat too.

Christ man, that sucks. Get well soon.

Never mind a lifelong L5/S1 injury from a helicopter crash back in the day.... but.... a dislocated rib with torn cartilage, then a styloid avulsion (wrist sprain with a piece of bone that broke off with the ligament) from a tustle at work, and now a particularly virulent form of strep??? Bad month and I’m thinking the universe is trying to tell me to find a new hobby.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Never mind a lifelong L5/S1 injury from a helicopter crash back in the day.... but.... a dislocated rib with torn cartilage, then a styloid avulsion (wrist sprain with a piece of bone that broke off with the ligament) from a tustle at work, and now a particularly virulent form of strep??? Bad month and I’m thinking the universe is trying to tell me to find a new hobby.
I hear water aerobics are low impact :p

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Good luck mate

Cheers man, I'll post my numbers here once it's all over.

Good grief, that sucks man! :ugh:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Just finished competing today.

Got a 170kg squat, 120kg bench and a 232.5kg deadlift. Bombed on the 185kg squat on the 2nd attempt, 3rd attempt I dipped on the descent. Bench press I went for 130kg and my back just cramped up on the press. Came second overall in my category, stoked is an understatement.

Now time for a little rest...

Adieu

Reaction score
That's some serious overkill... rationally, the most power you'll ever need in life is to deal with ~300 lbs weight

Past that, even in unusual life-and-death type circumstances, you're probably better off being lighter and faster or having more endurance vs. being stronger... and certainly better off without chronic injuries that people seem to regularly acquire pushing the envelope on weightlifting

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
Just finished competing today.

Got a 170kg squat, 120kg bench and a 232.5kg deadlift. Bombed on the 185kg squat on the 2nd attempt, 3rd attempt I dipped on the descent. Bench press I went for 130kg and my back just cramped up on the press. Came second overall in my category, stoked is an understatement.

Now time for a little rest...
Congratulations, man!