Practicing at work

• Thread starter BrianUV777BK
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrianUV777BK

Riffmiester General
Reaction score
So I keep a small practice amp and 1 of my guitars at work so I can practice during my lunch break. Am I obsessed? Am I the only one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
If I'm going to be cranking long hours, I take one of the FM408s and a Korg PX5D in.

If things aren't so pressing, we might have Friday Music Club, at least when we remember to bring in instruments and a little Yamaha DD55 one-piece drum kit.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I purchased a Squier Mini for the express purpose of practicing at work in-between calls. Of course I worked on 3rd shift back then and overall work volume was nowhere near as high then.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Wow, that's cool you guys can practice at work :)

May I ask, what kind of jobs do you work, where you can bring a guitar and practice?

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Office worker... but we typically work long hours, so we're not begrudged taking a few minutes here and there for our idiosyncrasies. Sometimes when I send everyone home early as a surprise for a holiday weekend and it's just me waiting on materials and a few members of HR in the building, I'll have brought in a 12-string in anticipation of being there 10 or 12 hours, so that people who are trying to reach us can find a live human being.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I keep a guitar in the car (or at my desk if its hot outside) and practice on my lunch breaks, thinking of bringing in my pod too.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I probably could take my Traveler Ultralight to work, but honestly, I rather keep guitar as my hobby away from work. Getting in maybe an extra hour or so of practice doesn't really mean that much to me.

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
I do when things are slow. I work from home though, so I guess that's not really fair. :spock:

metalheadblues

Reaction score
for the past two months there was an old acoustic guitar just lying around and nothing much to do in the work place so it was awesome to get like at least an hr play time everyday..But its back to work at my regular place which is busy but lunch time if i'm not tied up i get to mess around with a sitar..
If i had the option i would definitely bring my guitar to work and practice on my free time..

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
My work used to be more laid back and cool, I probably could have gotten away with that back when I first started, but because of "the few ruin it for the many" sorta happened, we got a lot of things restricted awhile back, and again recently - I just don't see that possibility in the cards so I won't even bother asking if I can bring in my guitar.

Still, props to anyone who has a job that is cool with that. I envy anyone for having a job that treats you as a person with a life outside of work, rather than a mindless drone who's work supersedes life outside of work or anything not work related. My work isn't that bad, nor am I treated horribly, but I do feel like they created rules....oh fuck it I'm way off topic now lol.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Wish I could practice at work, but you can't do that at a fast food place. Damn dead end job.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I keep a Yamaha Silent guitar in my office. As far as what I do, I am a librarian. Yes, we still exist.

BrianUV777BK

Riffmiester General
Reaction score
Wow, that's cool you guys can practice at work :)

May I ask, what kind of jobs do you work, where you can bring a guitar and practice?

I work at a car dealer parts department. So on my lunch I can go upstairs and jam out for an hour. I do it because I used to just take a nap on my lunch and this is more productive for me. I usually just do drills and exercises, scales, arps and such. Although a few cool riffs pop up and a new song has been written during those lunch breaks. With a wife and 2 kids and all that comes with that it can be hard fitting in practice time. Even then I usually have to wait till everyone is in bed to really get some good practice in.:shred:

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
I work at a car dealer parts department. So on my lunch I can go upstairs and jam out for an hour. I do it because I used to just take a nap on my lunch and this is more productive for me. I usually just do drills and exercises, scales, arps and such. Although a few cool riffs pop up and a new song has been written during those lunch breaks. With a wife and 2 kids and all that comes with that it can be hard fitting in practice time. Even then I usually have to wait till everyone is in bed to really get some good practice in.:shred:

I'm the same. My office lets me play during our lunch break. The whole office shuts down from 12-1. I'm a brown bagger so I have lunch and guitar practice. I've started teaching myself to sight read in one of the Leavitt books.

I need to just leave a guitar at my office, but as it is I have one commute to/from with me every day to suit my ego.

Latest posts

')