Preamp+poweramp+cab=?

• Thread starter Snarpaasi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Hi!

I got a huge bargain for an Engl e530 and a Rocktron Velocity 100 (2x50w) and now I ask for your help to set this thing up. I already have an Orange PPC 2x12 cab which has two inputs and 16ohms I suppose.

Here is the rack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98648175/20140617_144416.jpg

What options do I have? I won't be needing all the 100 watts what comes to the loudness. Is stereo sound even achievable or worth going for with only 2x12, thinking for example ping pong delay? What the signal chains should look like?

50 watt: Engl line output, stereo shielded cable -> Rocktron input -> Rocktron output, 2x mono shielded cables -> both Orange inputs?

100 watt: Both Engl line outputs, 2x mono shielded cables -> both Rocktron inputs -> one mono shielded cable from both channels -> both Orange inputs? :wallbash:

Thanks in advance. Please prevent me from blowing up my brand new setup.:scratch::bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

infernalservice

Reaction score
I would not go stereo on a 2x12, but that's just me. One output from the power amp to one cab input. I would keep it simple.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
if it was my rig i'd run in stereo using the both outputs of the engl into both input of the velocity then into the cab. i believe to run it this way you will have to rewire the cab to be stereo i think the orange v30's are 8 ohm each this will give you max power transfer from the velocity.
i think you have an extra socket on the orange to run an extension cab (don't qoute me on that though) rather than stereo.

for a proper ping ping delay you will need 2 cabs one either side of the room and a stereo fx processor.
I'd recommend a gmajor as that fx unit will allow you to control the processor and the engl via midi

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
I would not go stereo on a 2x12, but that's just me. One output from the power amp to one cab input. I would keep it simple.

Yeah I'm leaning not to go either. But doesn't a 16ohm cab require 2x 8ohm outputs from the power amp anyway?

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
so you just gonna use one side if the velocity at 8 ohms into 16 ohm speaker? This should be fine the 8 ohm refers to the minimum you can go so 16ohms is cool. it will just be quieter than if you had an 8 ohm speaker

Will you be gigging this rig?

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
so you just gonna use one side if the velocity at 8 ohms into 16 ohm speaker? This should be fine the 8 ohm refers to the minimum you can go so 16ohms is cool. it will just be quieter than if you had an 8 ohm speaker

Will you be gigging this rig?

I haven't had a band for few years so one side of the power amp will be enough. Let's assume I'm just using one side of the Rocktron.

So at minimum this should be enough right? One line output L/R from the preamp to power amp and from there another cable L/R output to the cab?:eek:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
yeah that sounds about right no tubes in the power amp so you don't need a load connected to the other channel

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
if it was my rig i'd run in stereo using the both outputs of the engl into both input of the velocity then into the cab. i believe to run it this way you will have to rewire the cab to be stereo i think the orange v30's are 8 ohm each this will give you max power transfer from the velocity.
i think you have an extra socket on the orange to run an extension cab (don't qoute me on that though) rather than stereo.

This is the best solution with your set up. The velocity at 16ohms from one channel will be pumping out like 17 watts or something ridiculous like that. I rewired my mesa 2x12 for awhile to accomodate a stereo power amp - pretty easy really. 2x8ohms in stereo should be perfect, although i think 2x4ohms stereo would get you most power - but then you have to get new speakers and all that. Either way, with the velocity 100, i'd def run in stereo, at max 8ohms per side.

EDIT - Sorry, i reread and see you are not gigging so volume is not a big issue. Even then, id still wire up the cab in stereo. Even though the speakers are close together, at home you'd be able to notice stereo effects i think.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Remember to use SPEAKER cable to hook up the amp>cab. A normal guitar cord could cause you some heartache.

Like someone else said, I'd rewire the cab to stereo just for kicks.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Rewiring your cab for stereo is super easy. Even rewiring it to switch between stereo and mono is pretty easy. Stereo out of a 2x12 is just fine. Just ask all of us old dudes that rocked Peavey Stereo Chorus 212s back in the day. Those amps killed and the chorus was luscious.

Latest posts

')