Preamp question (Engl)

• Thread starter Hemorrhage
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hemorrhage

Reaction score
If this question has been asked previously, please forward me to that post. Also if you think the question is unnecessary or stupid, you dont need to tell it.

My question is about Engl products E570 and E580 in specific.

Can either of those preamps be used for recording, as example, without power amp? After googlin' about it I wasnt able to find any "yes" or "no" answers, let alone how it would work if the answer is "yes".

I just sold my Engl Fireball and I am now looking for a good rack setup. I know that atleast E530 supports this feature with its small in-built power amp but I am looking for something more high end and sofisticated for my live setup. The possibility to use the same gear without need for earplugs would be a huge bonus for me.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Yup, you can record with any preamp. Preamps only put out a very small voltage so it's fine, just plug it into your interface instead of a poweramp! :). You will however need to use a cab + power amp sim but you can find a ton of free ones like god's cab.

So guitar -> preamp -> interface -> DAW -> impulse loader (KeFIR is a good one)

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
If you have a little extra cash lying around, I'd spring for the Redwirez impulses. I've had a lot of success with some of the free impulses out there, but in terms of tone and flexibility the Redwirez impulses can't be beat IMHO. There's a handful that I always end up going back to when I record with my e530 and/or Rockerverb 50 direct. If possible, try monitoring via the compensated output, but apply the impulses to the direct out. The direct out will sound strange with no impulse, and you'll get some latency (depening on the DAW) if you real time monitor the impulse.

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my free impluses, you can record with the latency turned down, and then just turn it back up after you are done recording to get around latency problems (in real time). If there is latency issues when you turn it back up, you can nudge the recording to the left very slighty, so it matches the click track.

Like this, right click>Nudge Track>-0.512ms>enter

casketshrine

Reaction score
I second the Redwirez recommendation. They are definitely well worth the money you spend on them. It opened up a completely new dimension for me with my Axe Fx Ultra. I tried the Ownhammer Impulses which are pretty great too but Redwirez sound better to my ears!

Hemorrhage

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. I now got the Engl e580. It should have atleast some cab sims inbuild if im not wrong. But walk with me on this one, explain as if I was a kid so nothing horrible happens and I wont trigger the worlds end when I plug it in first time today...

Is this pattern useable or am I missing something here: Guitar->Engl->Tascam-1641->comp.

Product: US-1641 | TASCAM

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. I now got the Engl e580. It should have atleast some cab sims inbuild if im not wrong. But walk with me on this one, explain as if I was a kid so nothing horrible happens and I wont trigger the worlds end when I plug it in first time today...

Is this pattern useable or am I missing something here: Guitar->Engl->Tascam-1641->comp.

Product: US-1641 | TASCAM
Yup, that will work :)

Also if you don't like the tone from the built in cab sim just use the normal out into your interface and load up your own using an impulse loader like KeFIR or LeCab :).

I hope that helps!

Hemorrhage

Reaction score
Yup, that will work :)

Also if you don't like the tone from the built in cab sim just use the normal out into your interface and load up your own using an impulse loader like KeFIR or LeCab :).

I hope that helps!

That is all I needed. :bowdown: Thanks a lot and merry xmas!

')