Preamp stomp > mixer

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
Long story short, I won't be able to carry my amp at rehearsal for the next couple of months, so I need something to go straight to the band's mixer and play some modern heavy metal tunes.

- It needs to be cheap, like very cheap (100-200 eur top), cause I'm sorta old styled metal guy, 50-100w stacks have no replacement in my book (sound/feel wise and look wise), so I'll likely end up selling the unit very soon anyway;

- It needs to be very plug and play, as I honestly am not gonna spend hours downloading profiles in an endless try 'n error process. I understand how cool can be, having a piece of gear with endless potential depending on the IRs and models you can afford to buy, but I just don't have the spare time to do so (or even learn how to run the thing), and having a very computer based job I just don't care to open my laptop when I get home;

- It needs to sound at least decent, and of course being capable of metal tones.

I've seen some apparently fine options, which are

Laney Loudpedal IRF

TC Ampworx Series

the old AMT preamp pedals and Mooer mini preamps.

Now, asking for direct experience about the guys above (or others) as there are plenty of vids here and there, but very few give a decent idea how the cab sim/DI/IR really sound, and that will end up being the main use of the pedal, so it needs to be good enough.

Thanks in advance guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Joyo or mooer would likely be your best bet, but I’d personally go for an overdrive, a metalzone and a mooer radar or similar IR loader.

AMT makes awesome preamp pedals but I have found the EQ to be somewhat limited on the 2 series and I didn’t love the cab emulation.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
POD Express is worth a look. Basically an extremely stripped down Helix for under $200 USD. Don’t own it but I love my HX Stomp, and the demos out there don’t sound any worse than what you’ll find for the Helix stuff. Probably also an easier resale than the rest of the stuff mentioned so far.

I had an AMT R2 and M2 that sounded pretty nice with IRs or into a tube power amp, but it doesn’t have IRs built in or ability to load them, just an analog cab sim that wasn’t that great, like @youngthrasher9 said.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new tonex one would fit your use case if you have access to a power amp or a PA system. It’s like 170 and you just need to snag a profile of the amp you are most comfortable with.

')