Prepare yourself for the Schaller Hannes 8string bridge

• Thread starter ikarus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
EXCEPT IT'S NOT A MULTISCALE BRIDGE SO YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!!!!!!!! :lol:

In all seriousness though I'm sure Jaden Rose tried to make a multiscale version of it and also got some heat from Schaller, which is fucking irritating seeing as he was buying two bridges from them to make one and they just seemed to have issue with him making it available on his guitars. I honestly don't get why they'd take issue with that seeing as it's not exactly like they're willing to supply the market :scratch:

Oh shit. I thought it was D: My bad, sorry for false info, I just saw the JR one, or maybe even another multiscale version of it, and thought it did that on it's own :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
A multiscale / single-saddle version of this would be fantastic.

I've not done the research or anything, but I've only seen the hannes on fairly high-end or custom guitars, and it seems to me that the enthusiasts
who buy said guitars would probably be as likely or even more likely to want multiscale for 8 string instruments :2c:

We can only hope, and wait.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
This is clearly a back piece made by the guys at Skervesen to expand the bridge's range. Unfortunately, seeing as I know the standard Schaller procedure, they'll move in for the kill legally, as they portray that as a "commercially available non-licenced part". This is the cause for my permanent ban on all things Schaller since last December.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
This is clearly a back piece made by the guys at Skervesen to expand the bridge's range. Unfortunately, seeing as I know the standard Schaller procedure, they'll move in for the kill legally, as they portray that as a "commercially available non-licenced part". This is the cause for my permanent ban on all things Schaller since last December.

I realize that they're doing it as a step to prevent this happening en-masse, but since they're just not building the 7 or 8 string bridges when there is obviously a market for it, it's a pretty stupid move on their part to not build them.

I've turned down a few orders because i wouldn't use the Hannes bridge and I never will. Zero Schaller parts on my gits.

What's the big deal with these bridges anyways? Aside from a few reviews from people that will generate insta-hype about them, i haven't read a single thing about them that makes me think the price is justified in what you get in return.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard rumours of an "official" 7 string Hannes from Schaller for a while now, sometime in 2013.
I don't get the love though, sure they are comfortable, but they are finicky, mainly plastic and have some very annoying, quickly lose-able bits.
I'd take one milled out of brass :)

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
I realize that they're doing it as a step to prevent this happening en-masse, but since they're just not building the 7 or 8 string bridges when there is obviously a market for it, it's a pretty stupid move on their part to not build them.

I've turned down a few orders because i wouldn't use the Hannes bridge and I never will. Zero Schaller parts on my gits.

What's the big deal with these bridges anyways? Aside from a few reviews from people that will generate insta-hype about them, i haven't read a single thing about them that makes me think the price is justified in what you get in return.

I dunno, over here a Hannes is 107 euros whereas a hipshot is 110. Price wise it's really not that bad.

bridges

Reaction score
Even though this thread started a false rumor it is true that Schaller will soon release 7-string and 8-string Hannes bridges. Very soon even. I wouldn't be surprised if they show up at the next NAMM in January.

It's also true that the Hannes bridges can be annoying sometimes because the saddle parts fit a little too loosely and can disengage the base parts a little too easily. Schaller or actually Graph Tech can easily remedy this annoyance by making the parts slightly bigger.

angus

Reaction score

You know this has nothing to do with Skervesen, right? They just reposted a link on their facebook page, but it's from some other small-time manufacturer.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
So wait, lets clarify.

This is a dud, i.e. a one-off and I shouldn't have a boner?

Well damn.

downburst82

Reaction score
I've heard rumours of an "official" 7 string Hannes from Schaller for a while now, sometime in 2013.
I don't get the love though, sure they are comfortable, but they are finicky, mainly plastic and have some very annoying, quickly lose-able bits.
I'd take one milled out of brass :)

Plastic?

The saddles were developed in close collaboration with Graph Tech. They are made of a special compound material. Teflon is one of the materials used in this special compound. In being a highly effective lubricant material (one of the most effective in the world), it dramatically reduces saddle-related string breakage, since no sharp edges can form on the saddles due to wear.
I guess you could call that plastic:scratch:...but seriously what would the saddle material qualify as just out of curiousity?

also I can't imagine schaller would take much longer to release the 7-8 string versions, as you and someone else said we might see something for namm, if not then within 2013 im sure. To bad they have allready pissed off quite a few potential big customers..

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Well it's their product, so they can move in legally on any imitations, but just because there's a market for it, doesn't mean that they shouldn't take action.

That market is still a very small market isn't it? I mean, it's just the people on this forum, and other parts of the extended range guitar community, more specifically, the people who can afford a custom guitar, or mods on a guitar. It sucks that they won't/haven't fill(ed) that market, but just because it's there, doesn't mean its particularly valuable...I dunno, I would love an 8 string with a hannes, but at the end of the day, whatever they say goes.

It fucking sucks that Fred was "Banned" from anything Schaller though :noplease:

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
doesn't Darren at Decibel guitars have the go-ahead from schaller to produce one off 7-string Hannes bridges, so longs as they are only sold with his guitars, and not as a stand-alone product?
if this is a one off with permission from schaller that would be pretty cool, although i doubt they would be allowed to see them as a stand-alone product.
also, i have no idea what happend between Fred and Schaller. can anyone give me a link?

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Plastic?

I guess you could call that plastic:scratch:...but seriously what would the saddle material qualify as just out of curiousity?

also I can't imagine schaller would take much longer to release the 7-8 string versions, as you and someone else said we might see something for namm, if not then within 2013 im sure. To bad they have allready pissed off quite a few potential big customers..

Errr, it's the same material as Graphtech's String Saver saddles AFAIK, which are phenomenal upgrades over any other type of saddles IMO. I had a 6er with graphtech saddles and a graphtech nut and it resonated very, very nicely. Before I changed the saddles and nut, the nut was plastic and the saddles were solid steel. Needless to say, a lot suckier than Graphtech stuff.

So yea, definitely not just ''plastic''.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
You know this has nothing to do with Skervesen, right? They just reposted a link on their facebook page, but it's from some other small-time manufacturer.

It's irrelevant who made it. I say so from experience - if they put that in a publicly visible guitar, Schaller will begin their usual intimidation process, which also involves explicitly forbidding the acquisition of aftermarket Hannes parts from Graphtech (via blacklisting the company in that regard).

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I don't get why Schaller haven't introduced a 7 and 8 string bridge since there is a huge market for it. Its like Bareknuckle not making 7 and 8 string pickups.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
PICT0066v.jpg

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

Well while it's not like you have an axe to grind with Schaller or anything :)lol:), I will say the only Hannes bridge I've tried was on Misha's B2 and since I've made it clear on dozens of occasions that I'm not a Blackmachine fanboy whatsoever and have disliked other BMs I've tried, that guitar sounded fantastic and the bridge was incredibly comfortable. So since I have no horse in that race and nothing to gain by stating my opinion based on my single experience with the bridge, I'm not really looking to "hype up" the Hannes yet I found it to be a really nice bridge, FWIW. :2c: I mean, if you guys can't use it to make 7's out of it, and you don't like it anyway, who cares? :shrug:

FWIW I don't think that their tactics on limiting the market/aftermarket use of a 7-string version of their bridge is a great idea, I just don't see the point in purposely slamming the company because they don't approve of you trying to modify their product to garner sales for yourself. If they don't want to earn business for themselves by putting out 7 and 8 string versions of their bridge design, let them shoot themselves in the foot. :lol: The whole anti-Schaller thing seems a bit silly, just don't buy their products if you have a problem with them personally. :2c:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW I don't think that their tactics on limiting the market/aftermarket use of a 7-string version of their bridge is a great idea, I just don't see the point in purposely slamming the company because they don't approve of you trying to modify their product to garner sales for yourself. If they don't want to earn business for themselves by putting out 7 and 8 string versions of their bridge design, let them shoot themselves in the foot. :lol: The whole anti-Schaller thing seems a bit silly, just don't buy their products if you have a problem with them personally. :2c:

I didn't try to use the product at all. :) I happily use companies that work closely with the smaller builders at the same time as huge companies like ESP.

It's been almost a year since they've done their threatening of a lawsuit against a friend of mine and they've done absolutely nothing to fill the void. I *really* get the concept of keeping your intellectual property under your own roof, but in this case, i think Schaller were being a bunch of dicks. They're not making 7 string bridges. They're not making 8 string bridges. Sending something like a temporary licensing agreement to allow people to build and sell the bridges on the one off custom guitars would have generated a much better response, created a MUCH better releationship with the builders that will be using your product and show the public that you're going to be bringing that product to the market under your own name.

Again, I get the whole idea of protecting your interests, but being outright heavy handed with the niche market that you're going to be selling to is not the best course of action as it might generate a response like mine. :wavey: Product boycotts can happen in any market though - the guitar market is no different.

Just to be clear on a few things with Schaller though - I've never once slammed their product - they really do make great tuners and bridges. I just think the company itself is an entity that dislike and refuse to deal with. There are more than enough companies out there such as Hipshot and Bareknuckle who take the time and talk to the smaller builders and try to actually WORK with them.

The whole anti-Schaller thing seems a bit silly, just don't buy their products if you have a problem with them personally.

I do have a problem with them, so I don't buy their products and in turn, their products will never show up on my guitars. :) I'm just vocal about how I feel about them.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
The whole anti-Schaller thing seems a bit silly, just don't buy their products if you have a problem with them personally. :2c:

I'm pretty honest about how I feel about certain stances, as you know, and it is only natural that, after the plain rudeness they exhibited pertaining a non-commercial take on the bridge, I talk about it. I find it a poor business decision from them not to accommodate ERG's, and an even poorer one to resort to direct threats pertaining companies' attempts to use variations on their material to try to find a solution for the gap in question. If Jaden had attempted to pursue a commercial version, I'd totally get them, but as it is it's just silly. The proto above was the only take on it, and the slanted piece for fanned frets is pretty much rotting in a drawer somewhere.

As for the bridge, it's a good unit for sure - it's obviously not the good old "heavenly choir starts singing the moment you play a guitar with one" nonsense, but then again nothing really fits that category outside of hype. :lol:

')