Prepare yourself for the Schaller Hannes 8string bridge

• Thread starter ikarus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Would a multi-scale bridge accomplish the same thing as a multi scale neck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
both goes hand in hand ...

a multiscale bridge with straight frets is no use (notesalad).
a multiscale bridge with all frets parallel to the bridge is functionally the same to straight bridge and frets.

a multiscale bridge only "works" with a multiscale fretboard and the other way round...

Christian Noir

\m/=^n.n^=\m/
Reaction score
I can't understand how a company can sue someone for taking 2 of their bridges, cutting them up and welding them together to make a 7 or 8 string version... Even if reselling them... as long as they're not sold as an official part...

Sound like mickey-mouse hogwash or splitting electrons to me. :nuts:

I guess they want to make a splash when the thing is released, but still.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Ibanez didn't sue anyone for chopping up Lo Pros to make 8-string trems.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Ibanez is well aware of how that isn't really supposed to be a mass practice nor remotely competitive. Schaller has a... "different" view.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
I'm pretty annoyed at Schaller - Even when Hannes himself approved of Darren (Decibel) making his own 7string, lefty hannes for my build, Schaller put their corporate foot down and said "do it and you'll hear from our lawyers".. And when someone asked them they said "no" to if they are going to make a lefty version of the bridge. :wallbash:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I can't understand how a company can sue someone for taking 2 of their bridges, cutting them up and welding them together to make a 7 or 8 string version... Even if reselling them... as long as they're not sold as an official part...

Copyright law is a fucking mess; that's how.

HRC51

Reaction score
I'd like to try these, but I don't think you can retrofit. No allen screw sharp edges sticking up!

angus

Reaction score

Well, copyright is for ideas or thoughts, but similar idea, yes.

They do it so they can protect potential current (initial design) and future (extended range) patent rights... if they've applied. Nothing more.

Christian Noir

\m/=^n.n^=\m/
Reaction score

But no one is copying anything. It's buy two bridges, cut, weld and voila. It's not like editing a song or anything, in which you actually make a physical or digital copy.

What's part of copyright law is it violating?

Can someone provide any example in which copyright or patent law was applied in a similar case and the plaintiff won?

They said the bridge would be out this year, but I still find this making me curious and would like to read a relevant case.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Simple: they claim it's a commercially available product, which gives them ground to advance with the suit. They won't win - point is that no small company has the funds to embark in massive legal battles, so what happens is that they stop by default.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'm pretty annoyed at Schaller - Even when Hannes himself approved of Darren (Decibel) making his own 7string, lefty hannes for my build, Schaller put their corporate foot down and said "do it and you'll hear from our lawyers".. And when someone asked them they said "no" to if they are going to make a lefty version of the bridge. :wallbash:

Yes. Wish we could just sort of give Darren a wink and just start having a lot of NGDs with photos curiously cropped as to never show the bridge. You certainly can't sue what you can't prove exists.

Walterson

Reaction score
I dunno, over here a Hannes is 107 euros whereas a hipshot is 110. Price wise it's really not that bad.

110EUR for ONE Hipshot 6 String bridge? I ordered them directly in the US, it took ages until they arrived, but I got two for 100EUR - VAT and shipment included!

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score

It's because it's legal fluff. They wouldn't win a law suit. As long as the seller didn't advertise them as a Hannes bridge, they have no legal ground to go on. It's a scare tactic to prevent the market from meeting it's own needs.

angus

Reaction score
No, IF they have a patent pending on the 6 string bridge, they can very very easily argue that it is merely an extension on their current patent since the design is identical but expanded in size. They would win...IF they have euro or american patent pending. This is assuming someone reproduced the design.

But, if they do not aggressively protect their rights (a la Rickenbacker and unlike Fender), they will have a much more difficult time protecting it in the future.

However, if someone purchased two Hannes bridges, cut and spliced them and are not remarketing them or profiting off of it, they have no legal grounds (even to threaten).

Christian Noir

\m/=^n.n^=\m/
Reaction score
Simple: they claim it's a commercially available product, which gives them ground to advance with the suit. They won't win - point is that no small company has the funds to embark in massive legal battles, so what happens is that they stop by default.

I'd still like to read a case in which anyone has won this type of suit.. not copying, but modifying an existing product an selling it as such... a modified product.

Not that I'm planning on doing this, but interesting nonetheless.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Then, pretending the Floyd patent was still in effect, could Floyd Rose sue the forum member who spliced two bridges together to make an 8 string one?

')