Presidential debate 1

• Thread starter bob123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

YngwieJ

Reaction score
Thank you for that article Semichastny. I have seen research before that suggests that higher education actually tends to shift peoples views farther right or farther left. It's quite an interesting hypothesis. The author of this article seemed to think (as most of us probably do) that the higher your level of education and scientific understanding, the more likely you are to be liberal, especially on the issue of global warming. We would think that higher education would guide people's views on issues, but instead, we see that they use their knowledge and understanding to further their own political bias.

So the more education a person has, the more likely he/she is to be extremely liberal or extremely conservative. This might also explain why undecided voters seem to be the most idiotic group of people. It baffles me that some people are still unsure whether they want to vote for Obama or Romney. Undecided voters seem to be the people who know nothing about the issues, don't know where the candidates stand on issues, don't even know where they themselves stand on the issues, and are simply trying to pick who looks the best, sounds the best, or who the celebrities are voting for. It's not very comforting to know that these people are the ones that will decide the outcome of the election.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Raise taxes + spend more, then raise taxes and spend more.
Great plan Dems.

Biden sounded alright on the radio, but when I finally got the chance to sit down and watch lol.
Seemed to not be taking this stuff very seriously, although I know it was his way of showing disagreement.

I didn't find Joe to be rude or mean though, just his normal meat-headed self.
Didn't appreciate being lied to reguarding the gross inconsistancies of the administrations conflicting statements pertaining to the Libyian terrorist attack.
Also it's a fact that Biden himself voted for the same wars that he seemed to be condeming Ryan for.

If we can just do away with much of the government excess money wasting, we can easily afford some more wars lol.

flint757

Reaction score
Har har....No:squint:

Ryan tried to play off like he knew what he was talking about regarding foreign affairs. He had proven, even to the moderator based on her retorts, that he couldn't give a clear answer nor a valid one. In regard to foreign affairs I agree with Biden that Afghanistan will not own up to their own responsibility without a deadline. Ryan's opinion was a proven invalid opinion back from several years ago when Obama promised to bring the troops home last go around. Same about nuclear weapons; doesn't matter if they have the material if they don't have a weapon. (and they currently don't even have the material either).

Romney/Ryan want to start more wars and continue our current one all the while supposedly shrinking the budget. Never mind that Bush and Reagan both increased national debt and yet somehow the Republicans have the right plan 'this' time.

If you think fighting someone else's war is more important than a country taking care of its people you are fucked up in the head. :2c:

If you wanted to avoid hypocrisy then you would be against ANY 'unnecessary' government spending which would be, I assume for you, a lot of social programs, but also war (one of the biggest portions of our debt and future debt).

I'd be willing to bet, regarding Libya, that any info that confirmed your opinion of Dem's, regarding the incident, you'd take it without question, but if evidence were exposed the other way (much like the info presented on the thread about the incident) you would immediately dismiss it as dishonest or a cover up. There is no bias in your opinion at all. :rolleyes: :lol:

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
Raise taxes + spend more, then raise taxes and spend more.
Great plan Dems.

Biden sounded alright on the radio, but when I finally got the chance to sit down and watch lol.
Seemed to not be taking this stuff very seriously, although I know it was his way of showing disagreement.

I didn't find Joe to be rude or mean though, just his normal meat-headed self.
Didn't appreciate being lied to reguarding the gross inconsistancies of the administrations conflicting statements pertaining to the Libyian terrorist attack.
Also it's a fact that Biden himself voted for the same wars that he seemed to be condeming Ryan for.

If we can just do away with much of the government excess money wasting, we can easily afford some more wars lol.

What part of "balanced approach" do you not understand?

Oh. Right. The part that includes slightly raising taxes on the wealthiest people in America. :scratch:

And the reason we need to peddle down the debt and spending is so we can afford to start more wars?

Bullshit mountain is wiiiiiiiide, and bullshit mountain is deep.

And bullshit mountain is tall. My oh my it is tall.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
What part of "balanced approach" do you not understand?

:lol: If there's one thing that's for sure, it's that the Dems have no freaking idea at all what a balanced budget is.

They had two years controling the house, senate, and executive branch, and yet still couldn't even get a budget plan passed (not that they have ever wanted a budget plan, they clearly don't want any spending limits imposed on themselves).

Everyone knows that you can't spend your way out of debt.
If Obama had his way he would pass another huge stimulas so that he can hand out more cash to his buddies and campaign contributers.
Corruption at his/it's filthiest from MR. I'm gonna reform Washington :lol:.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
:lol: If there's one thing that's for sure, it's that the Dems have no freaking idea at all what a balanced budget is.

They had two years controling the house, senate, and executive branch, and yet still couldn't even get a budget plan passed (not that they have ever wanted a budget plan, they clearly don't want any spending limits imposed on themselves).

Everyone knows that you can't spend your way out of debt.
If Obama had his way he would pass another huge stimulas so that he can hand out more cash to his buddies and campaign contributers.
Corruption at his/it's filthiest from MR. I'm gonna reform Washington :lol:.

I'm sorry. Did you just tell me Democrats don't know the first thing about a balanced approach?

bill_clinton_dnc.jpg

May I remind you of the surplus that Democratic president Bill Clinton handed George W. Bush on a silver platter, one which was reached after the first Bush ran up some debt himself?

Oh and um, funny story, but George H.W. Bush lost re-election because he worked with Democrats to slightly raise taxes to pay off the debt incurred by the Reagan Administration. That's why his Republicans turned on him, because how dare he try to apply that balanced approach, right?

Now, what did Bush Junior do with that 100 billion surplus? He turned it into a 1.2 Trillion dollar deficit by 2009. And you want to pretend Republicans gave a flying fuck about the Deficit before Barack Obama was in office?

Bullshit Mountain just became Mount Everest. Bravo.

When House Republicans effectively held the debt ceiling for political hostage, it caused the Dow to plummet 634 points in one day, and is cited as the main reason S&P decided to downgrade the entire country’s credit rating. Not because of the level of debt, but because our current political culture is so volatile and irrational as to allow such a phenomenon to occur in the first place.

So forgive me if I laugh at your notion that Republicans give a flying fuck about this country anymore when they are willing to watch it crumble to the ground before raising taxes.

aceventurathemonopolygu.gif

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score

A majority for two years, under this president? Really? It's a nice talking point that works wonders on the uninformed but if you want to have the real number try 133 days. That's how long the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the senate.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Why so much finger pointing? Dems this... Repubs that... This is the same petty BS I hate ab the commercials.

We've established long ago that it shouldn't be a team sport. Why do we discuss it as such? We want the leaders to stick to the issues and we ourselves can't avoid the same mudslinging they use in a half-assed attempt to sway us one way or another. :2c:

Don't argue w fools. Observers know not who is who.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
A majority for two years, under this president? Really? It's a nice talking point that works wonders on the uninformed but if you want to have the real number try 133 days. That's how long the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the senate.

Obama's budget proposals from the last few years have earned him ZERO (0) votes in the Senate, so he's a long long way from being filibustered out of passing the budget.
Nice try, the excuse pile just keeps stacking up higher and higher :lol:.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Actually I was just telling you your numbers were wrong. I have no interest in making an excuse for the fact that they keep refusing to vote in favor of a budget, it's inexcusable.

YngwieJ

Reaction score
Obama's budget proposals from the last few years have earned him ZERO (0) votes in the Senate, so he's a long long way from being filibustered out of passing the budget.
Nice try, the excuse pile just keeps stacking up higher and higher :lol:.

False. Obama's budget isn't what was rejected. The Senate's version of the Obama budget was rejected. Most presidential budgets are around 2000 pages long. Obama's was 1900 pages. The version that the Senate decided to put out and vote on... 56 pages. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112sconres41pcs/pdf/BILLS-112sconres41pcs.pdf

So why was it 56 pages? Well the Senate Republicans cut out all the specifics so that they could just leave a small shell remaining of it with which to craft their own budget as they go throughout the year. Of course, they had no intention of actually doing this. They knew it would never pass, because no Democrat would vote for that. The Republicans didn't even want to do that, so they all voted no as well. It was purely a gimmick to bring up later and say, "Look! Obama can't even get a Democrat to vote for his budget!"

So much for bipartisanship. It looks like the only thing Democrats and Republicans can agree on right now is... how idiotic Republican Senators are.

flint757

Reaction score
It doesn't help much people flock behind the "well they should have garnered more popularity" and for whatever reason have an opinion on all 3rd parties without knowing ANYTHING about them. Someone in the comment section mentioned the green parties lack of political involvement which is actually not true, they are pretty active in local areas, even if not congressional. It is annoying when people have a problem with the political system, but aren't willing to do anything about it, thinking that all politicians will end up corrupt once they are there. They may be right, but being okay with the familiar corrupt to not try the only 'potentially' corrupt candidates seems like a poor argument.

I'm half considering becoming a politician at this point, maybe an Athiest electrical engineer can affect some change. :lol:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I'm half considering becoming a politician at this point, maybe an Athiest electrical engineer can affect some change. :lol:

I think just the first half would be good enough at this point...though, as a fellow engineer, I know the second part couldn't hurt. :metal:

The Somberlain

Hollow Man
Reaction score
Where can I get these "binders full of women?"

Obama was nice and aggressive, but did not wow me a stellar candidate, but Romney delivered with his many, many asinine remarks.

')