Pretending to be a Luthier.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
fuck yes progress :yesway:

carving the neck is definitely the best part in my opinion too. enjoy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ECGuitars

Reaction score
Is your neck thickness measured from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck?? And also a tip on carving the neck is make sure that you start with a totally flat surface or any bumps will be magnified when you round it over! I've made that mistake once or twice haha. Looks awesome so far though, keep up the good work

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Mkay, so yesterday I sarted shaping the neck. Today I started carving the volute and the heel. So i got mah chissel out!

Couple of progress pics:
1qa1.jpg

1qa2.jpg

1qa3.jpg

1qa4.jpg

1qa5.jpg

1qa6.jpg

1qa7.jpg

There is still a TON of work to be done on this thing, but it's getting there.

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
Holy Scherzo. I've been busy for the last couple weeks and I decided to come and check on progress since it's been a while.. and good GOD that thing is really turning out to be one gorgeous ass guitar. I really can't wait to see this thing finish. Seriously.. props.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Is your neck thickness measured from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck?? And also a tip on carving the neck is make sure that you start with a totally flat surface or any bumps will be magnified when you round it over! I've made that mistake once or twice haha. Looks awesome so far though, keep up the good work

Yes, that's how I meassure the thickness. And yeah, I had a hard time with the little "steps" I made on the neck when I took all the wood out. Quite hard to get them leveled correctly.

Holy Scherzo. I've been busy for the last couple weeks and I decided to come and check on progress since it's been a while.. and good GOD that thing is really turning out to be one gorgeous ass guitar. I really can't wait to see this thing finish. Seriously.. props.

Hehe, thanks man. The build got stalled for a good month, even though it was almoast done. It was horrible looking at that thing unfinished. Right now I'm really stoked, abd I'm hoping to finish it this week, but one never knows.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Oh well, scratch the original neck profile specs.

Neck is almoast ready. Some work left on it, but the big part is done(so no more chissels:squint:). I left the thickness at 25mm at the 1st and 26 at the 12th(which is THICK). It's a rather flat back. what you would probably call thick wide. It just feels perfect to me.

PICS!
Kept going at it with the chissel today.
1de1.jpg

1de2.jpg

1de3.jpg

1de4.jpg

1de5.jpg

1de6.jpg

I might still remove some wood from the back of the volute, but I'll see tomorrow.

ECGuitars

Reaction score
Lookin' good man! Also if you notice any bumps or Unevenness in the neck, scribble ALL over the neck in pencil and get a flat sanding block about 6 inches long and sand the neck. Keep moving around so you don't get a flat spot, it'll show where the high/low spots are and just keep sanding until they disappear. Works like a charm!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Lookin' good man! Also if you notice any bumps or Unevenness in the neck, scribble ALL over the neck in pencil and get a flat sanding block about 6 inches long and sand the neck. Keep moving around so you don't get a flat spot, it'll show where the high/low spots are and just keep sanding until they disappear. Works like a charm!

Alrighty then, I'll try that for the last couple of passes.

fireheart82

In Flames i was Born
Reaction score
now i have to try and make me a neck thru:) cool to see other inspire others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Was worried that volute would turn out huge, but it looks really good as always Scherzo.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Small update.

Rounded the edges:
2q1.jpg

Also, had a small bushing made (I think that's what it's called, it's husillo in spanish? not sure also :lol:)
2q2.jpg

The point of it, is to use a long ass drill bit, and still be precise. It doesnt allow the bit to bend. You can also aim it, set it, and forget it:

Used it to connect the neck pickups to the contrl cavity. Drilled from the input jack:
2q3.jpg

Amazing presicion.
2q4.jpg

')