Price Check! [Not sure if a guitar you're selling is priced right, post here.]

• Thread starter MaxOfMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've noticed a trend on this site and others of people asking for appraisals of guitars either before they sell them, or right before they buy them. In the interest of answering those questions and building up a bit of a database on the used prices of instruments I'm making this thread which will remain stuck up top in this section.

This thread is a work in progress and I'll be adding a lot more material to it throughout the day.

To start things off, let's talk a little about how modern used guitar pricing works. When you buy a relatively new, production guitar you're typically going to get anywhere from 40% to 70% of the guitar's new, retailer price. Why is that? The primary reason folks buy used gear is because they want a bargain, it's just the truth. The lower price is the incentive to buy a guitar which cannot be returned and is often without warranty. Even if you buy a guitar on Monday and try selling it on Tuesday, and even if it still has the plastic wrap on the pickups and back cover, it's still going to be worth 30% or more less than it's in-store counterpart. That just seems to be the accepted standard. Are there exceptions? Of course, but the rule stands.

Now, when it comes to a modified guitar, the seller is going to be looking at taking an even bigger bath, as most mods don't add much to a guitar's value in relation to how much those modifications cost when new. A very popular one is new pickups. While that set of DiMarzios or Duncans might have made your RG350 or Schecter Omen sound amazing, that $200 upgrade is only going to translate into a small price boost on the used market, as those pickups, like the guitar, are now used. The same holds true for small visual modifications such as new knobs, pickguard, stickers, etc. Would you really pay more for a used guitar because it has new knobs? I didn't think so.

How about accessories? Things like having a case or gig bag will often help you out price wise, not by much, but having a good case for a guitar that typically doesn't come with one can be a huge bonus, especially with some of the more "extreme" shaped guitars. Stuff like cables, straps, picks, strings, learning materials, etc. aren't going to boost value much though, unless you're talking about high quality stuff (Mogami, Levy's, etc.) or huge quantities (case of picks, 12-pack strings).

This goes without saying, but must be said: There will be no offers of selling or buying guitars in this thread. Any post with that intent will be promptly deleted.

Wolves Den

Reaction score
The value of this guitar:

iba4.jpg

iba5.jpg

iba3.jpg

Apparently it's an "RG7420 that has an RG7620 neck on it. its was originally magenta crush but has since been refinished with a maple veneer in an tobacco sunburst and matching headstock." However, I'm not fond of strat shapes so I'd like to move it. It's missing the bar for the trem and the locking portion of the nut for the trem. Anyone know what I could get for this and what bar/nut goes on this?

Wolves Den

Reaction score
Thanks for moving it... I had no idea where the best place to put it was. I can't just post it up in the classifieds and wait to see what people think. I'm more active on the Dean forum than here (mainly because I don't really play 7's nor am I into strat shapes) so I don't have much reasoning to post here besides questions related to strat shaped guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nkri

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a '91 RG570 in decent condition (it has 2 major dings on the upper horn, but nothing that affects playability..I'd post pics but I'm at college and it's at home), and I'm thinking about selling it to buy a guitar off a fellow SS.org member. All parts are stock, and the only problems are those dings. So what do you think would be a good asking price? I bought it for $320 used last year, think I'd be able to get $350 for it?
Thanks!
Dan

Reaction score
Loomis with the black OFR (NOT the cheaper korean made specials...), a few dings here and there, nothing serious, no problems.

I'm thinking 800? Sound fair?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a '91 RG570 in decent condition (it has 2 major dings on the upper horn, but nothing that affects playability..I'd post pics but I'm at college and it's at home), and I'm thinking about selling it to buy a guitar off a fellow SS.org member. All parts are stock, and the only problems are those dings. So what do you think would be a good asking price? I bought it for $320 used last year, think I'd be able to get $350 for it?
Thanks!
Dan

I'd say around $300 is fair. It's going to depend on how the buyer feels about those "major dings".

Loomis with the black OFR (NOT the cheaper korean made specials...), a few dings here and there, nothing serious, no problems.

I'm thinking 800? Sound fair?

Seems a little on the high side, unless you meant shipped North America with hardshell case.

A brand spanking new one with FULL warranty is $1000 shipped in the US, even cheaper if on special. Those Korean OFRs are pretty solid as well.

As you said it has some dings, and it is a few years old.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good point, it would definately come with my hardshell case, 700 probably is fairer?

By all means, start out high. Shoot for as much as you can, and adjust the price accordingly depending on just how badly you want to move it.

Stoney

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering ig you guys could give me some advice, I'm looking to sell my Ibanez RG1527 Prestige. I've had it for a couple of years and there is some paint chip damage as it has been gigged but generally looked after. However I took it to a guitar shop recently to get a set up and they threaded the wood where the screw for the locking nut over the B an E string is, after a long argument they refused to repair it as i couldnt prove it wasnt like that before i gave it to them :mad:, so this would need repairing if you want to use the trem.

I've had a valuation from the same shop but it was rather low and seeing as they screwed me on the repair job i didnt know if they were trying to screw me on a trade.

Apart from that there's nothing wrong with the guitar, i've just fell out of love with it and would prefer a hardtail guitar as i dont use the trem that much and for me its more trouble than its worth.

I've put some pics below, can you let me know what you would look to get for this? (it also comes with the hardcase). I'm in the UK so I understand the prices may vary.

Thanks for your help,

photo8.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo2.jpg

Photo5.jpg

photo.jpg

Deadmemories

Reaction score
IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

Both are BC Rich Bichs i dont relly know much about either of them at all.. the Spider one has some chippings on the bottom curves the previous owner was not so careful with it.. so theres some wood showing.. but both play great and everything is just perfect on them they just arent my style i dont even care about the total price im hopin to get enough money to get a Jackson SLSXMG Soloist you think ill get enough for that??

Attachments

• IMAG0087 (1).jpg
    IMAG0087 (1).jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 14

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
The value of this guitar:

iba4.jpg

iba5.jpg

iba3.jpg

Apparently it's an "RG7420 that has an RG7620 neck on it. its was originally magenta crush but has since been refinished with a maple veneer in an tobacco sunburst and matching headstock." However, I'm not fond of strat shapes so I'd like to move it. It's missing the bar for the trem and the locking portion of the nut for the trem. Anyone know what I could get for this and what bar/nut goes on this?

Not a single guitar exists with a 7420 neck - they all have 7620 necks. With that said, you're looking at between $300 and $600, depending on how much somebody likes the modifications. It might be exactly what somebody wants.. if its not, and they just want a cheap Ibanez 7, the price will be on the low end.

davidooj

Reaction score
Thinking of buying this guitar, havnt got any pictures but these are the details i was given. Roughly what do you guys recon its worth?

Agile intecptor, 7 string, custom would dimarzio pickups, Floyd rose, ebony fret board, umm black flame maple finish

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
well...if it is close to this
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

I would say you should pay around 650ish for the guitar. you need to be more specific about the pups, there is a difference between lower Dimarzios...or D activators.

IN A BEST CASE SCENARIO, aka top condition and awesome pups, No more than 675-680. That is me though, if it comes with a rondo case then maybe....MAYBE 700. Those cases are nice. Also, be aware that if it was stocked with EMGs or actives, they probably have rings or something on it if it has passives on it now.

It is really hard to tell from the vague info you have provided, I would try to talk down to 650 but I like to wheel and deal occasionally.

One more thing...GET PICTURES BEFORE YOU BUY! :yesway:

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
I would get pics and ask if it was originally routed for actives because all the ones I can find, at the moment, have actives...AKA they will have rings to have passives in it. I would still try for 650 for myself, just for the guitar.

Sorry if I am not helping but it is hard with vague stats and no pictures.

benny

Ibanez RG Addict
Reaction score
They're a solid instrument. I got a Septor Pro 727 from a used shop that was marked 400. It's pristine. More for one with actives than passives though. The Interceptor is technically worth more due to the (licensed) floyd rose bridge. I would try for 500ish since it's loaded with what sounds like stock passives. I would go higher depending on condition.

The older models usually have the passive house-brand pickups Rondo uses, "Cepheus", which I liked plenty.