Prime series guitar: taking atonality to a new level

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
what the hell?
i am unsure wether i am impressed, but my instincts are to be so. im just not getting something lol

ok further reading actually explains something useful, unlike most forum posts lol.
thats really freaking cool. i would never use it much i dont think but thats awesome

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of that, exactly...

My response as well.

When I was looking at it, I was thinking, "And... how useful is that?" Then I listened to the clips which pretty much backed up what I was thinking. Pure atonality.

It's unique, but I really wouldn't want any of those guitars.

D

Desecrated

I don't know if I classify this as atonality, he clearly has a system, and it's not really that he want to achieve microtonality either. Some sort of serialism maybe but maybe that's just twisting words.

Anyhow. I like the ideas. I like the prime guitar the most, it would be extremely fun to play complex timesignatures and then pick the notes/primes that corresponded to the metrics.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I'd say it's atonal WITH a system because - you're right - he definitely has a system, a really well-thought-out mathematical system, but some of the parts sounded like they could be played on a normally tuned guitar and some just sounded very atonal. :shrug:

I don't know. I commend him on his ingenuity in making the instruments and the ideas behind them, but I'm not very impressed by the music itself.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Cool stuff. Like most of you, my initial reaction was WTF :lol:. Sounds more dissonant than atonal to me really, i might be splitting hairs.

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
interesting concept but wow does it sound awful.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Huh. Weird. Statue of Alice and Tarkovsky's Mirror both struck me as immediately pleasant. I also thought they were rather relaxing.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
that is a very bad tuned acoustic guitar to me. :D

*runs off to the corner where the we's-dont's-get's-it-guys hang*

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Not really atonal. Dissonant, but with method. Quite interesting music, really.

If you want atonal, go see Alban Berg's opera "Wozzeck". Probably the best example I can think of offhand.

If you like this stuff, you might want to not only see Wozzeck, but also listen to Arnold Schoenberg's "Pierrot Luniere", lots of things by Bela Bartok, and especially Penderecki's "Requiem for the victims of Hiroshima".

Or check out the Kronos quartet when they play near you. REALLY interesting stuff...usually...
KRONOS QUARTET

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The more microtonal stuff I hear, the more I like it. DR should like this as part of his quest for the perfect 3rd. :evil:

The main thing I'm not sure about is the just intonation. Too me, rational numbers are too unnatural. Look at pi, e, etc. all of these "natural" numbers are irrational. If you're pushing this realm, Lucy tuning seems more "spot on", and to me, sounds more natural and consonant than the just intonated microtonal music I've heard.

Ray

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Prime ratios are the easiest way to define intervals, though, 3/2, 5/4, etc. pi/e, comparatively, doesn't sound like the overtones would mix as well.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
On a different but related note, I though having a 24 tone equal temp. guitar or bass would be fun.

Latest posts

')