Prince's Superbowl Halftime show

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...kicked ass.

:agreed:

Anyone else really impressed by that? The dude's a hell of a guitarist, and some of the random moments, sequeing from a bluesy "All Along the Watchtower" to a Foo Fighters cover, of all things, were just fuckin' cool.

The man has his shit together, musically. :yesway: I thought the halftime show was better than the game surrounding it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In this post, I give props to Bob for raving about the guy. You, sir, were right. :agreed:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game, but i've been checking out clips on YouTube when i have a few free moments today, and it's one of the better halftime shows i've seen. Prince is awesome.

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
yeah it was! i was watching his playing along with the audio and it didn't seem to me like it was the typical super bowl lip syncing.

his tone was sick! i forget the song, but he was playing a strat ... and the tone was sick.

he's a great musician, a very tasteful "song centric" writer ... but every now and then he belts out these fills. it's inspiring watching him exercise his restraint for the better of the music ... because he can fuckin' play.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He started out on his usual Tele, and then had that Strat with the one hum/one single for the Hendrix/Foo Fighters stuff. Cool tone - he was friggin' LOUD in the mix.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
all the drunks at my uncles house (him included) were raggin on Prince, saying he's a has been, and i could hardly hear anything. but i loved what i heard.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
not a big prince fan. wasnt to impressed. I would have rather heard him play his own shit than a shitty foo fighters tune. lame. just my :2c:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
not a big prince fan. wasnt to impressed. I would have rather heard him play his own shit than a shitty foo fighters tune. lame. just my :2c:

Oh, his own shows are better - but on the scale of SB halftime shows, it was awesome, since they usually suck complete ass.

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
He started out on his usual Tele, and then had that Strat with the one hum/one single for the Hendrix/Foo Fighters stuff. Cool tone - he was friggin' LOUD in the mix.

i've always liked his stuff as a kid but never noticed him playing teles and strats ... i've only seen him with those whacked out customs he has. so i was like ... huh?

his tone was awesome.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYUGJ4A7QmE

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KFJeI2WVss

Part 3, medley and Foo Fighter's cover. Dave Grohl had better be elated, that's a pretty damn big honor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyT9cv1iEyw

A rare great youtube comment:

Youtube said:
Just a man, his band, and a guitar, NO million guest appearances from Run-DMC,aerosmith, or jessica dumslut. The motherfucker tore the house down.Anybody who doubted Prince's status as a legend should reconsider

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr-sZ2kAb8Y

He's a genius.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Prince kicks ass, always has, always will.

The half-time show was fantastic. Something to consider: he was playing in the pouring fucking rain and sounded that good :lol:

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be honest: I didn't like it. I completely respect Prince for what he is able to do musically, but his voice gets on my nerves (especially last night) and his music isn't really my thing. He's definitely got a unique stage presence, but I didn't like the performance. For that brief time when he started Watchtower, I was hoping he was going to do something more with it, but then he killed it by going into the Foo Fighters. I like the Foo Fighters and everything, but I just didn't like that he used a song like Watchtower to transition into that.

')