Prince's Superbowl Halftime show

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
i think medley's are a superbowl must do. not much of a medley guy myself ... but he rocked.

^ Really? The Tele is his go-to guitar.

i guess i'm more of an admirer of his talent versus a fan ... i guess i just never noticed or the whacko guitar styles got burned into my memory or something.

PS - can i just say it's refreshing to be on a forum that's mostly made up of people who like heavier music and metal and not be reading 100 posts from bottom feeders saying things like "Prince is a fag".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For the first time in a long time, the halftime show was actually about music and not some lame-ass lip-sync "perfomance" by some "recording artist". Simple staging, and an end-to-end awesome performance.

The cameras didn't swing by the rest of his band much... did he have Sheila E. behind the drumkit last night?

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
That was a great performance. My wife and I love Prince and have always admired him as an awesome musician. He performed like it wasn't even raining.

:bowdown:

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought he did a great job. All of your points on his performance were right on. One thing... To me, it appeared that he sang everything, but it appeared that the guitar was recorded previously, especially the last song with the whacky sign shaped guitar.

Don't get me wrong... the solos were very nice! :agreed: :shred:

but still, no PUSSY CONTROL!!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
In this post, I give props to Bob for raving about the guy. You, sir, were right. :agreed:

Thanks, D! I'm glad you guys appreciate him, too. I was singing Prince for some karaoke this weekend, ironically. :lol: I've been a Prince fan since Purple Rain was brand spanking new on the shelves.

AssortedYoutube Posts...
He's a genius.

:wub: I knew I liked you for a reason. You have superior taste. :lol: (Those Malazan Book of the Fallen books you recommended kick SERIOUS ass, too. I haven't enjoyed a series this much since The Dark Tower and George RR Martin.)

Thanks for the links, too. I didn't even know the Purple One played the S Bowl. I *gasp* didn't watch it. I spent some 'quality' time with my fiance. :lol: Excellent stuff from my man!

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
The man kicked ass last night. A few people at my house commented, "Damn...I didn't know Prince was such a badass guitarist!" :lol:

BinaryTox1n

Reaction score
I didn't watch the superbowl (yeah, i don't like sports, fuck off :fawk:) but i did overhear some of the halftime show.
I was suprised by his chops,
but im really not into the whole "prince" (or should i say, artist formerly known as prince?) image: meaning, i think it's fucking stupid as hell.

But im too close minded to actually listen to his music, so i can't say anything other than:
He has good tone and chops, but looks and sounds like something richard simmons threw up.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Really talented guy, and I love what I've heard of his music.

But as a person, I can't get past Kevin Smith's story (those who know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about...or something) :lol:

To be honest, though, as soon as he gets on stage, I could care less what he's like in his private life, because he owns that stage.

I thought he did a great job. All of your points on his performance were right on. One thing... To me, it appeared that he sang everything, but it appeared that the guitar was recorded previously, especially the last song with the whacky sign shaped guitar.

Don't get me wrong... the solos were very nice! :agreed: :shred:

but still, no PUSSY CONTROL!!

No way, take a closer look at the Foo Fighters song: he throws the guitar aside and grabs the mic, and other random movements that would cause random string noise, and it does.

Dave Grohl had better be elated, that's a pretty damn big honor
He probably is. Every interview I've seen with Dave Grohl, he seems like a really cool, down to earth guy who's a genuine fan of all kinds of music.

Reaction score
"You guys want some grapes? ........Bitches." :lol:

Dave_Chappelle_As_Prince.jpg

In all honesty, that was probably the best halftime show I've ever seen. And I subject myself to that same audiovisual torture every year. I was really impressed, and have always considered Prince a guilty pleasure.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
...kicked ass.

:agreed:

Anyone else really impressed by that? The dude's a hell of a guitarist, and some of the random moments, sequeing from a bluesy "All Along the Watchtower" to a Foo Fighters cover, of all things, were just fuckin' cool.

The man has his shit together, musically. :yesway: I thought the halftime show was better than the game surrounding it.

:agreed: 100%

I was very impressed with his performance. What a great show for him and for his fans too! Prince = :cool:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Conversation I just had with my friend:

[22:24] Me: did you watch the half time show?
[22:24] Friend: nope
[22:25] Friend: but i did hear a bunch of bitches in my english class complian about prince
[22:25] Friend: and about how hes too old!
[22:25] Friend: and how they should get someone from THIS CENTURY LOL
[22:25] Me: WHAT
[22:25] Me: wow
[22:25] Me: I wish I was there
[22:25] Me: I would have seriously twisted their necks
[22:25] Friend: i just kind of put my head down
[22:25] Me: or at least bitched at them
[22:26] Friend: my usualy bitch of an english teacher got mad at them and called them musically ignorant
[22:27] Me: awesome
[22:28] Friend: they also said that beyonce would have been a better choice for the half time show

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
The problem with quite a few youngins nowadays is that there have been relatively few truly great musicians lately so they look up to entertainers (and I use that term loosely) who have no real discernable talent. If someone heard that Prince set and thought he sucked or was too old, they really have no clue what a real musician is. I thought it was spectacular and nothing short of pure genus. That dude can play. He is as good as he ever was and then some. He is a real musician. Even if you don't like the pop quality to his music, you gotta respect the licks. Just amazing...and in the good old Florida Liquid Sunshine!

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
ok im looking into getting a prince album. im thinking Purple Rain. is that a good thought? or should i get a best of?

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
That half time show was kick ass...I was at a barbecue with a bunch of "hard-core" metal heads, they were talkin shit at first, but even they were jammin the fuck out by the end of it. Prince is one hell of a musician, imo.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The problem with quite a few youngins nowadays is that there have been relatively few truly great musicians lately so they look up to entertainers (and I use that term loosely) who have no real discernable talent. If someone heard that Prince set and thought he sucked or was too old, they really have no clue what a real musician is. I thought it was spectacular and nothing short of pure genus. That dude can play. He is as good as he ever was and then some. He is a real musician. Even if you don't like the pop quality to his music, you gotta respect the licks. Just amazing...and in the good old Florida Liquid Sunshine!

:agreed:

I respect Prince quite a bit. He is one of the most talented musicians in popular music. Not only can he sing, play guitar, bass, keyboards, etc. But he can play all of them VERY WELL. He's a great performer and is always interesting to watch.

I didn't see the Super Bowl because of A) where I live and B) I'm not a football or sports fan. But I did watch those Youtube videos and Prince did what he always did.

You'd have to be an idiot to complain that he's "too old." The only way you're too old is if you are no longer physically able to do it anymore. :lol: As long as you rock, that's what matters. He was the best SuperBowl performance I've ever seen. All the other ones I've seen have been lip syncing and dance numbers by talentless models.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Prince, but after the half-time show I know this:

He can put on a show, and can play some mean guitar solos.

Latest posts

')