Pro-Shot Symphony X Footage from Bloodstock Festival!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I watched this previously being so pumped to get some quality symphony x footage. And was pretty disappointed by this. They played everything so much faster than the recordings that it was really sloppy. I've hardly ever seen Romeo make mistakes before yet he had a lot in this video and I think it's all due to the tempo. They really need a click track or something.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
yeah, they've always had a problem with tempo live.

I hate when they play Of Sins and Shadows super fast and then slow it down when the double bass comes in. really annoying.

also, when did Russ join a biker gang?

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I watched this previously being so pumped to get some quality symphony x footage. And was pretty disappointed by this. They played everything so much faster than the recordings that it was really sloppy. I've hardly ever seen Romeo make mistakes before yet he had a lot in this video and I think it's all due to the tempo. They really need a click track or something.

It's weird to me because it sounds like his is missing notes in The Sea of Lies tapping part but we all know he can play that part easily and in another part it sounds like his guitar is "fretting-out." So I am wondering if his guitar was messed or something. Because he is nailing pretty much everything else.
Also I wonder why you cannot hear Pinella's solos?

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice to have the pro shot footage, but i expect flawless execution from Romeo, and he doesn't deliver here. Probably due to everything being played too fast.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Nice to have the pro shot footage, but i expect flawless execution from Romeo, and he doesn't deliver here. Probably due to everything being played too fast.

Agreed. Like I said, it's odd because I have never seen him play like that. I don't know if he was sick, his guitar or as some of said the tempo.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
yeah, they've always had a problem with tempo live.

I hate when they play Of Sins and Shadows super fast and then slow it down when the double bass comes in. really annoying.

also, when did Russ join a biker gang?

Yeah, I mean I love these guys. Sy X and DT have been my 2 favorite bands since 96' when I discovered them both and I think Russ will always be my favorite singer, but his 'tough guy' talk is pretty cringe worthy in this video. Ah well, I'll still take any live footage of Sy X I can get. Would love a 2 hour + high quality blu-ray of these guys but doesn't seem they're interested in that.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I love these guys. Sy X and DT have been my 2 favorite bands since 96' when I discovered them both and I think Russ will always be my favorite singer, but his 'tough guy' talk is pretty cringe worthy in this video. Ah well, I'll still take any live footage of Sy X I can get. Would love a 2 hour + high quality blu-ray of these guys but doesn't seem they're interested in that.

Yeah his 'tough guy' thing is kind of weird. He used to not do that I've heard. Maybe he'll lose it eventually...

Man, they say they plan on making a DVD. But it has to be a real special show for them. Maybe they'll play with an actual Orchestra? :lol:

They're like the only band that really deserves a shot at that besides Wintersun.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
time to lose the biker guy stuff and move back to that sensitive prog guy frilly yngwie shirt aesthetic

the_divine_wings_of_tragedy_1.jpg

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Yeah saw this a while ago, it's very good quality compared what there has been so far available. Allen is amazing as always! Partially I agree that tempo is one issue when playing live but this is not the case in Sea of Lies for example: https://youtu.be/3bd3R30AM1E?t=38m40s The tapping part is just awful. Xiphos68, he is missing notes because the tapping pattern is different what is on the record. He gives an extra tap on E string which ruins the whole pattern basically.

What comes to music I think it's been a steady downhill since the Odyssey. Paradise Lost was still good but the two latest records are missing the great melodies what they used to have on previous records. Instead they are very riff-based songs with nonsense repetitive guitar solo licks.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
What comes to music I think it's been a steady downhill since the Odyssey. Paradise Lost was still good but the two latest records are missing the great melodies what they used to have on previous records. Instead they are very riff-based songs with nonsense repetitive guitar solo licks.

facts

the solos don't bother me. but the basic songs with almost no keyboards and russ insisting on an aggressive singing style with terrible, zero-effort lyrics and melodies is what has killed the band.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I did think Underworld was a turn in the right direction though as Iconoclast might be their lowest point for me. I'm hoping we get a little more prog too in 4 or so years when they decide to do the next record.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I did think Underworld was a turn in the right direction though as Iconoclast might be their lowest point for me. I'm hoping we get a little more prog too in 4 or so years when they decide to do the next record.

I definitely can see why you would say that because I thought the same initially.

However, it's really a different album.
The Mix is absolutely amazing, everyone one of Romeo's solos is blazing and well-done.
Plus there were some great tunes overall: "Iconoclast" (Lyrics are Cheesy), "End of Innocence," "Children of A Faceless God," & "When All Is Lost."

I also liked some of the parts in the bonus tracks because Pinella really stands out in a couple. Loved "Light Up The Night." I felt like it should have been on the main album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa52fOFzmtI

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
When All Is Lost and Light Up the Night are the only tracks I really like on that one.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
When All Is Lost and Light Up the Night are the only tracks I really like on that one.

I am glad to know that I wasn't the only who felt that way about that rack.

I mean, it's an intense track. Rullo's insane drum opening, Romeo's Intense Riff Transition, Pinella's Key kick in and that glorious chorus is sung.

For some reason the song structure reminds me of a Van Halen song? It's almost Symphony X and them had a child.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I definitely can see why you would say that because I thought the same initially.

However, it's really a different album.
The Mix is absolutely amazing, everyone one of Romeo's solos is blazing and well-done.
Plus there were some great tunes overall: "Iconoclast" (Lyrics are Cheesy), "End of Innocence," "Children of A Faceless God," & "When All Is Lost."

I also liked some of the parts in the bonus tracks because Pinella really stands out in a couple. Loved "Light Up The Night." I felt like it should have been on the main album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa52fOFzmtI

I guess I should have also said that a Sy X lowpoint for me is still like 90% better than anything else out there. :lol:

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I guess I should have also said that a Sy X lowpoint for me is still like 90% better than anything else out there. :lol:

I'll just say you're not the only fan who thinks that way. :lol:

Symphony X have a solid amount of albums. They are just different tastes.
They are not always what they originally are expected to be.

Really the bridge between the two different Symphony X's is "The Odyssey."

It's amazing how great the production is now.
I always hoping they would do a "best of" but re-record some of the older tracks. "Dressed to Kill," "Odyssey," "Divine Wings of Tragedy," "Candelight Fantasia," "Evolution," "Fool's Paradise," etc.

Symphony X is one of the very few bands that self-produce their albums and they've only become better in the production and sound. I mean could you imagine what "The Odyssey" or "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" would sound like with a "Paradise Lost" or "Iconoclast" production?

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
I'll just say you're not the only fan who thinks that way. :lol:

Symphony X have a solid amount of albums. They are just different tastes.
They are not always what they originally are expected to be.

Really the bridge between the two different Symphony X's is "The Odyssey."

It's amazing how great the production is now.
I always hoping they would do a "best of" but re-record some of the older tracks. "Dressed to Kill," "Odyssey," "Divine Wings of Tragedy," "Candelight Fantasia," "Evolution," "Fool's Paradise," etc.

Symphony X is one of the very few bands that self-produce their albums and they've only become better in the production and sound. I mean could you imagine what "The Odyssey" or "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" would sound like with a "Paradise Lost" or "Iconoclast" production?

Personally I think Divine sounds much better than the latest albums productions. Twilight sounds great too. But maybe V is my favorite sounding album

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Sloppiness aside, the audio is pretty bad here regardless. Levels are all off.

Saw them towards the start of the tour and the playing was much better...Russell Allen was flawless (as he usually is). Romeo took liberties with the parts, but wasn't sloppy like he is here. Hard to say what's up, could be the tempo, could just be an off day. At an earlier date on the tour, he somehow cut his hand open on the guitar and still played the rest of the show even though from the photos it looked like a massacre. So it's always hard to say what's going on behind the scenes to make people play the way they do.

Here's some video of the London show (not footage, but the same show I saw). Better playing, worse audio/video. Still better to watch the the show linked above, however.

Also, I loved the new album. Guess it was just me?

And the Sea of Lies performance. He improvises a lot of the solo, but the legato bit is plenty clean.

')