Pro-Tools 10 Vs. Reaper

• Thread starter GuitaristOfHell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Avid Pro Tools 10 for Students (Full Version - Boxed) | Sweetwater.com This seems like a killer deal, but my question is which is better? Money really is not a concern Christmas just passed :lol:, and I'm thinking of getting this since I'm a student. Thoughts guys? (BTW I know I've been posting a LOT in the Recording Studio part of SS here, but I am trying to gain knowledge).

I may spend the extra and go with PT10 unless Reaper really is that much better. I'm currently using reaper (Evaluation License) and I'm getting used to it, but trying to keep my options open.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrNibbles

Reaction score
I used Reaper for a good couple of months and got some good use out of it. For the full version, $60 isn't a bad price, but I felt it was kind of basic after I installed Logic Pro and got used to using Logic on my computer.

Before I had Logic, I thought Reaper was amazing, and for the price, it is a really really good DAW. BUt once I got Logic, I liked it a lot more. I'd suggest using Pro Tools, but that's just me.

TGN

Reaction score
I use both Reaper and PT10. I used PT since version 7, but I tend to use Reaper more and more now since I like to pick up and play with lots of the free no-name plugins that gets developed these days. These plugins typically only come in VST format.

I have been eyeing Studio One a bit, though, which looks like a fresh new DAW on the block.

Oli

Insomniac
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're into VSTs, downloadable plugins and such, I would suggest using Reaper if you don't have a complete studio set up or if you're not using analog gear - the trial version is free and it's basically the same thing as the full version.

On the other hand, Pro Tools is more user friendly ( at least for me ) and it has a bunch of amazing plugins, you can't go wrong. Only downside is that they're pretty much all Pro Tools only compatible. Best DAW out there in my opinion, alongside Logic Pro.

Finally, I guess it all depends on what you wanna do with it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Reaper has a pretty shitty MIDI editor.

Beachbum4894

Music Producer
Reaction score
I have used multiple DAWs; Pro Tools, FL Studio, Cubase and Reaper. In all I actually like Reaper the best. It is a VERY simple and user friendly DAW and I would suggest it to anyone, beginner or expert.

Latest posts

')