Problem with tuning stability on a charvel vivaldi

Spyros kleisas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello I am really in to a rat with my one and only 7-string, and I just want to hear opinions other than take it to a luthier (I like to fiddle with my guitars) with my 6 strings never had a problem of setting the up. This one, a charvel vivaldi has a gotoh 510 sevenstring trem and can really stay in tune! The problem is the two three low strings go usually charp and the other 3-4 go flat. Or sometimes one goes flat the next sharp after fiddling (not that much) with the trem. So far i thing I have tried quite some solutions. Lubricating or putting graphite in to the nut (tusc nut), and the two points of contact with the body in the bridge, raising or lowering the posts, increasing or decreasing string tension with the springs, lowering or heightening individual strings in the trem itself. The trem doesnt seem to jerk lateraly. Any ideas? I really like this guitar and i want to try to solve this puzzle. Any help greatly appreciated!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
It sounds like your thicker strings are catching when you use the trem, which leaves them sharp as you rest the trem back to neutral.

This of course increases string tension, and your other 4 strings go flat due to the increased tension on the lower 3.

I would check all string slots and get the ones that are catching widened a tad.

Last edited:

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no experience with that trem or guitar, but it's a two-point non-locking bridge, right?

My main guitar for a few years was a USA Strat with a similar bridge. I spent a lot of time dorking with the setup, reading different ideas, experimenting, etc... and found that there are a few tricks to keeping a non-locking trem in tune. You've got one of them already (lubing the nut and contact points). The other things were not putting too much string around the tuning posts. One wrap on the wound strings, two on the plain ones. The last part was the most important, and that's the bridge needs to float.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
that makes no sense to me at all. That has to be just by chance that it seems to work for him, right?

I thought everyone knew to “tune up” to the desired notes? If I over shoot and go sharp I don’t tune back down I drop below the note and tune up until I get it.

Spyros kleisas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have no experience with that trem or guitar, but it's a two-point non-locking bridge, right?

My main guitar for a few years was a USA Strat with a similar bridge. I spent a lot of time dorking with the setup, reading different ideas, experimenting, etc... and found that there are a few tricks to keeping a non-locking trem in tune. You've got one of them already (lubing the nut and contact points). The other things were not putting too much string around the tuning posts. One wrap on the wound strings, two on the plain ones. The last part was the most important, and that's the bridge needs to float.

this one has Charvel branded locking tuners, but thanks, anyways

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
that makes no sense to me at all. That has to be just by chance that it seems to work for him, right?

I thought everyone knew to “tune up” to the desired notes? If I over shoot and go sharp I don’t tune back down I drop below the note and tune up until I get it.

Strange. So this is the opposite where you tune sharp and then tune backwards.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
this one has Charvel branded locking tuners, but thanks, anyways

By non-locking, I was referring to the bridge and nut. Everything I said still applies. Locking tuners should help you get away with less string wrapped around the post, though.

Also, you always want to drop below the note and come up to pitch when tuning.

elkoki

Reaction score
I've never used a Charvel Nova but I've read about people's experiences. Some say it stays in tune great others say it wont at all. My guess is some of it is user error and in your case it's probably a nut issue . That sorta sucks seeing how it's a $1,200+ guitar, it should be ready to play.... more than likely its a very simple fix though . Good luck... sorry I couldn't offer any advice

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I have had good results using BigBends Nut Sauce - I have a Charvel DK24 which is basically the same thing. Just apply it in the nut slot ( no pun(s) intended, honestly :lol: ) and you should have some improvement when using the tremolo.

Spyros kleisas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thanks, been using that already, its ok, but its not available in Greece, so I have been using a Dunlop stylus with basically similar lubricant, or pencil graphite

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thanks, been using that already, its ok, but its not available in Greece, so I have been using a Dunlop stylus with basically similar lubricant, or pencil graphite

When you run out of that, just go to a hardware or home improvement store and buy a small tube of white lithium grease. It's cheap and works great, lasts a long time too.