Professional musicians that use mid-range/budget-range/low-end gear?

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
While most pro musicians out there use really high-end or custom-made guitars and high-end amps, i want to see examples of bands and musicians using normal-people-priced guitars and amps and stuff :)

we all know about Jack White of The White Stripes obviously, and punk/grunge/stoner rock bands in general. the thing is, they sound like they use low-end stuff as well, and it´s part of what they´re after. i want to see the guys that manage to get great sounds out of low-end gear :p

i don´t have anything to start off with, so i´m leaving that to... someone :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Meshuggah using POD XT pros, granted they use a combination of Vetta IIs and Pods live, but recording on Pods is an achievement as they are a bedroom thing for many guitarists.

Tony Macalpine uses Carvins. not custom fancy ones, just off the production line Carvins, I think that speaks volumes about their quality. Alan Holdsworth also uses Carvins, which are a signature model, but they are midrange in price unless you go ape with crazy tops and stuff, and are made just like all other Carvin guitars.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Apparently Greg Howe uses Laguna, the cheap little GC guitars.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
If you class the Ampeg VH140C low end or mid range (which they can be had for decent prices when they appear), then bands like Suffocation could be included in that. Also, most of the early Swedish Death Metal bands used, and still use, a Boss HM2 in front of whatever they can find (Dissection for example).

goth_fiend

Reaction score
wayne static used to use epiphones, dont know about now.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plenty of musicians use fairly mid-priced gear. Look at all the bands who use 6505/5150 amps with off the shelf guitars in the $1000 range, it's not too uncommon. In fact if you look most professional musicians use high to low-boutique level gear, not counting vintage stuff of course. When I mean professional I mean those who tour (on a large multinational scale) regularly as a profession and to earn ends meat. You'll notice that most of those who purchase and use ultra-boutique level gear are actually hobbyists.

cyberwaste6996

Reaction score
wayne static used to use epiphones, dont know about now.

He has an ESP/LTD Sig now.
1327445502_ad7aef9ecd.jpg

He also uses Marshall MG heads which run around $300 to $400 if I remember correctly.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Devin Townsend's studio setup is remarkably humble so far as equipment goes and he gets stellar results. His guitars and rig have been pretty humble as well, if you consider the use of stock Stef B7's, an old 5150, and a Roland GP-100 being the cornerstone of some of the heaviest sounds put to tape... er, disc. :agreed:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Chuck (Death) used old Valvestates.

And as already mentioned the Ampeg VH140 is used by Suffocation, Dying Fetus etc.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Tom Morello perhaps?
He has pretty much used the same Marshall JCM800 2205 his whole career, with The Battle Of Los Angeles slightly deviating with a Line 6, a Music Man amp and a tiny Pig Nose.
A total of 6 pedals on his pedalboard, no fancy rackmount stuff. All the more impressive when you think about it, since the guy has made so much more inventive sounds than guys with several times more effects than him.
His guitars are pretty much all mid range stuff. He used his Arm The Homeless guitar for pretty much all of the E standard stuff, and his "Sendero Luminoso" Tele for pretty much all the drop D stuff in RATM and Audioslave.
He didn't even pay for the Tele... he obtained it from trading an amp head for it.

So I guess it's safe to say, throughout much of his career, his choice in gear was relatively modest compared to some people.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Jeff Loomis' Schecter signature is made in Korea... Does anyone know if the guitars he actually uses are regular production models, or are they made in a custom shop? Because if they're production, that'd make them mid-range. Same goes for quite a few other artists whose signatures are 'budget range'.

Herman Li used a low-end Ibanez S (with Lo-Trs trem). And a Pod 2.0.

Oasis play on Epiphone guitars.

In the 80s/90s, quite a few people played on Ibanez RG5xx/7xx guitars, which were mid-end (US Custom/J-Custom were high end, later Prestige).

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Chuck (Death) used old Valvestates.

And as already mentioned the Ampeg VH140 is used by Suffocation, Dying Fetus etc.

Dude, I tried out one of those Ampegs back in the day after hearing them on the Fight 'War Of Words' album when I moved to Phoenix... big mistake in not buying the thing at time. What the fuck was I thinking?! :noplease:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Dave Murray still uses his first Squier Strat onstage from time to time!!!!

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Dude, I tried out one of those Ampegs back in the day after hearing them on the Fight 'War Of Words' album when I moved to Phoenix... big mistake in not buying the thing at time. What the fuck was I thinking?! :noplease:

we played with Dying Fetus earlier that year, and during the soundcheck, when he plugged the Ampeg in and hit the first powerchord i was like "DAAAAAYYYAAMN! :eek: " - just sheer brutality!

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
we played with Dying Fetus earlier that year, and during the soundcheck, when he plugged the Ampeg in and hit the first powerchord i was like "DAAAAAYYYAAMN! :eek: " - just sheer brutality!

Great amp for detuning, so were the old VS Marshalls. You can get those things for nuts cheap. :agreed:

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
You'll notice that most of those who purchase and use ultra-boutique level gear are actually hobbyists.

Yea, PRS actually has a reputation of being the trophy-guitar for doctors and lawyers and such.

I'm not a professional myself, but I developed my playing on cheap guitars for years, and if I'd ever become a professional I don't think I'd suddenly buy expensive custom guitars or such. I could afford it now, but I see no need. I'm happy with decent quality stuff like S7320. A better, more expensive guitar won't make me play or sound better anyway.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Great amp for detuning, so were the old VS Marshalls. You can get those things for nuts cheap. :agreed:

yeah, i played an old VS for years, already with my 7string. :agreed: i recieved very often compliments for my "great tube-sound" :lol:

')