Professional musicians that use mid-range/budget-range/low-end gear?

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Meshuggah using POD XT pros, granted they use a combination of Vetta IIs and Pods live, but recording on Pods is an achievement as they are a bedroom thing for many guitarists.

Tony Macalpine uses Carvins. not custom fancy ones, just off the production line Carvins, I think that speaks volumes about their quality. Alan Holdsworth also uses Carvins, which are a signature model, but they are midrange in price unless you go ape with crazy tops and stuff, and are made just like all other Carvin guitars.

"...is an achievement as they are a bedroom thing for many guitarists."

:ugh:

You kinky Fucker :lol:

I was going to buy one of those Holdsworth Sigs, great guitars.

Trey Azagthoth is a great example, he has a few customs...but his 'Instagib' Ironbird is low-budget....

Erik Rutan is a notable mid-range kind of guy, but that's only with guitars...A friend of mine and his band is over in Florida with him - he's producing their album, he has Mesa Double Recs and Labogas :scream:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sindwulf

Reaction score
It is known he played LOTS of Doom but I don't know if it carried over with Quake. On the band website there is still a download for the doom level he made lol. Never got a chance to try it out.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
ah, that´s probably where he got the "instagib" name from then :p

i don´t know whether or not they had instagib in doom, but anyways :D

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
o rly?

from wikipedia:

"Instagib was introduced in Quake II, and grew in popularity in Unreal Tournament"

;)

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The First Acts being used in Mastadon are customs, though, and I hear those are actually pretty nice.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
:yesway:

I think he has the Tokai replaced with a PGM now.

I've seen him use a Jem7vwh with the trem blocked and a PGM. Some time ago he was selling a USA Custom hardtail RG at a Finnish forum I'm a member of, the guitar was pictured in a studio so I'd guess some of the new album was recorded with that guitar. I don't know if he actually endorses Ibanez or if he just uses them.

Tokai is actually pretty common here in Finland, and they aren't very expensive. Especially the Gibson LP copies (Loverocks) are pretty common, they are actually identical shapewise (headstock, body etc.) with Gibsons here, since Gibson has no copyright protection in Finland. I guess you'd classify them as mid-range, and a lot of Finnish pro musicians use them, Mäenpää isn't the only one.

SRV played Tokai Springy Sounds too, and he's even pictured in the cover of an old Tokai catalog.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
And what about guitarists that use the 'budget' variations of the Les Paul, like the Junior or the Special?
The Junior started out as a starter pack in the 50s, combined with a tiny Gibson Junior valve amp.
Even today they're some of the cheapest Gibsons you can buy.

Latest posts

')