Prog metal rhythm guitar mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrCthulhu

Reaction score
The rythm guitars sound a little distant. Almost like there is a lot of room in the recording. Did you mic a cab?

Plant

Reaction score
The rythm guitars sound a little distant. Almost like there is a lot of room in the recording. Did you mic a cab?

Yes, and the bass sounds a bit "nasal" and boomy (at 80-100Hz range). Also, the mix isn't "glued" properly - all the instruments are "separated" from each other not in a good way.

But, before tweaking the individual tracks, just try to play around with the balance. It can be very helpful.

leefvc

Composer/Producer
Reaction score
My chain is something like TSE OD pedal>the Poulin Mesa head sim>some cab impulses>gate>EQs>Multi-band comp>Exciter

Ah, I've always picked up the "nasally" bass sound, but never understood why it sounded that way, even after plenty of EQ tweaking. I have two bass tracks going, one for primarily bass sounds and the other for grit and mid-range audibility. You're saying that tweaking balance will help to fix the separateness?

')