Project S907 #3

• Thread starter RestorationAD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
After finishing the side carves I started to work on the butt. Since the grain runs straight it makes it difficult to drag the scraper across the body and follow the curve. You can see that I had a lot of cross grain scratches and minor tearing as I roughed in the shape. Once it was close I switched to 220 wet/dry paper with a sanding block and followed the grain to remove the scratches.

Back to work on the horn relief cuts. I have no advice for these... they are a feel thing. I still only used the scraper once they were roughed in.

Time to start rounding the top of the recurve. I just use the orbital sander and let this happen naturally as I sand out the recurve.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Oh yeah, loving those carves!!

I feel you on the back pain btw. You make rigs to work standing up, and I'm making them to work sitting down :lol:.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I decided to angle the jack up towards the strap on this one... That required a crazy jig.

I use my forstner bits to recess stuff whenever possible. It is easier to drill the recess before drilling the hole. Since the forstner bits leave a nice center mark you use the center mark from the 1/2" bit to center the 3/8" bit.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
This is what it looks like. It is obvious that I need a flat spot for the nut on the input jack. I will address that later.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Needed to level the back of the headstock and reove a small amount of material. Time for 80 grit on a flat block...

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Used the disk sander to create the carve on the back. It has a dish shape to it. I use the same techinique of angling the disk as I do on the top carve. And I put the flat spot in for the input jack.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Next up shaping the neck. I cut a D shape in this one. Also I didn't finish the heal because I am going to shape the neck and body heal together.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
As you can see I have a lot of extra wood to clear away for the blended heal. Going to get a dry fit done as it is time to glue the neck in. I cut the tenon down for the neck pickup. I will still need to clean up the front pickup route.

Almost forgot... Electronics holes... wow that would have made for a mess later. Anyway I caught it and drilled them.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Taped up for gluing.

Almost forgot one last thing... recess straplocks. They are really hard to drill after the neck is attached.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Pickups underway for this one.

I am using my Destroyer models for this. They are hot but not stupid hot. Lots of metal in them.

I am planning on building a few sets of Diablo prototypes and maybe a set of Destroyers for sale. If anyone is interested in buying a set PM me.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
dude i swear.... you make THE sexiest guitars on this board, without a doubt! This stuff is even nicer than Blackmachine, dare i say!

kruneh

Reaction score
Great work!
The neck looks awesome, and the overall build is very sleek and clean, I love it :hbang:

Latest posts

')