Project Xiphos 2019

lewis

Reaction score
so this year I swore to myself I would collect a few Xiphos's being as Ive always wanted one and never had one. Ibanez look like they arent interested in bringing any back for EU/UK for 2019 so im going to be buying a 2nd hand one and modifying.......

which Ive already found and buying tomorrow

its a Black, XPT300FX with no dents/chips to the finish thats apparently never left the dudes Bedroom so its in great condition.

It looks like this: -

latest

Specs

• Neck Type: 3pc Wizard Il Maple neck.
  • Fret: Jumbo frets.
  • Scale: 648mm/25.5"
  • Width at Nut: 43mm.
  • Width at Last Fret: 58mm.
  • Thickness at 1st: 19mm.
  • Thickness at 12th: 21mm.
Radius: 400mmR.
and apparently these were Mahogany Body? so thats cool

now planned mods:

- Neck Swap (possibly - depends if I can find either a cool Maple Fretboard or Ebony Fretboard Ibanez neck come up for sale
- Ebonize Fretboard ( If I dont neck swap)
- Fill pickup ring holes and instead direct mount pickups
- Swirl Paint Job - Body and headstock planned swirl. - Neon Green/Neon Yellow/Maybe some white too
- Gold Hipshot Hardware (white pearloid tuner buttons/the Ibby flat vintage bridge replacement)
- White EMG 81x & 60x
- EMG RPC Knob to replace Tone
- Blue Luminlay side dots
- Graphtech White nut
- FU Tone Direct Mount Pickup system
- Might get white pearloid dome gold knobs)
- EMG 3 way Solderless switch
- Sand and stain the entire back of the neck dark Brown

Mockup:

Xiphos-Mockup.jpg

Last edited:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I love Ibanez projects; especially ones involving a swirl.
Not even a Xiphos guy but this sounds bitchin' and I'm hyped for you. Sounds like a fun idea.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
I love Ibanez projects; especially ones involving a swirl.
Not even a Xiphos guy but this sounds bitchin' and I'm hyped for you. Sounds like a fun idea.
Thanks dude :)

Its going to be my first swirled guitar. Found a great guy via FB who does it and his finished results and prices look quality.
Cant wait to get started.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Thanks dude :)

Its going to be my first swirled guitar. Found a great guy via FB who does it and his finished results and prices look quality.
Cant wait to get started.
This is going to awesome. Who are you getting to swirl it? I'm thinking about trying to learn how to swirl guitars.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Also not a Xiphos guy, but that sounds super badass! Definitely will be following this thread. Good luck!

lewis

Reaction score
This is going to awesome. Who are you getting to swirl it? I'm thinking about trying to learn how to swirl guitars.
The dudes name is "Richard Fay Swirls UK" on FB

His finishes look amazing and he does loads of work for the price. I.e fixing up any dents/chips, priming,swirling,clear coat and the shipping to him and back to you is also covered i believe.

Anyway ive shot him a message to get the ball rolling.

Here is a direct link to his page for anyone else interested
http://www.richardfayswirls.com/

lewis

Reaction score
I've been following him on Instagram. His swirls are nice indeed! Can I ask what it's going to cost?
Well i havent gotten a hold of him just yet as he is on holiday until the 18th. However his pricing in his about suggests its around £250 for body, headstock, postage and everything else in between.

Once i hear from him i will update :)
I have no issue being transparent on costs in this thread.

Edit: seems a 8-10 week turn around too.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Well i havent gotten a hold of him just yet as he is on holiday until the 18th. However his pricing in his about suggests its around £250 for body, headstock, postage and everything else in between.

Once i hear from him i will update :)
I have no issue being transparent on costs in this thread.

Edit: seems a 8-10 week turn around too.

Wow. That's really, really cheap for all of that. Especially including postage. Sounds like you found a great guy.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
The dudes name is "Richard Fay Swirls UK" on FB

His finishes look amazing and he does loads of work for the price. I.e fixing up any dents/chips, priming,swirling,clear coat and the shipping to him and back to you is also covered i believe.

Anyway ive shot him a message to get the ball rolling.

Here is a direct link to his page for anyone else interested
http://www.richardfayswirls.com/

Richard Fay had a great reputation over at JEMsite when he was swirling the first time, 10 years ago. he stopped - WITH REPUTATION IN TACT!!!! - and has recently restarted. UK custom builder "Stormshadow Guitarworks" uses him to swirl some of their custom builds.

I've not had a Fay swirl but I'd buy one in a second if I was looking for an aftermarket swirl.

lewis

Reaction score
Richard Fay had a great reputation over at JEMsite when he was swirling the first time, 10 years ago. he stopped - WITH REPUTATION IN TACT!!!! - and has recently restarted. UK custom builder "Stormshadow Guitarworks" uses him to swirl some of their custom builds.

I've not had a Fay swirl but I'd buy one in a second if I was looking for an aftermarket swirl.

Woah this is great to hear!! :) certainly maintains my confidence in using him.
Im going to collect all the hardware first as well as sort the luminlays/neck staining, then arrange for him to do the swirl after that.
(Ive got updates over due on my other project threads too haha - been so busy with my band the last few months)

lewis

Reaction score
Looks pretty cool but I think the swirl would look better on a shape with a little more definition:

CiC-promo2-endo-full.jpg

Woah that shape is great. Falchion and Jackson Warriors are also really interesting to me.
Figured i would start with Xiphos and see where that takes me. Haha

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Woah that shape is great. Falchion and Jackson Warriors are also really interesting to me.
Figured i would start with Xiphos and see where that takes me. Haha

That picture is basically how I feel when I pull my WR1 out. But teh thing about the xiphos is that the bevels are a major part of the design, and the swirl will cover those up. Something like the falchion or glaive is a bit less about the bevels and more the outline.

lewis

Reaction score
I am abit of a hipshot fan boy but the black bridge plate rather than gold, is putting me off the more I look at my mockup - and I dont believe they offer all gold ones?

anyone got any really higher end quality ALL Gold flat bridges that would fit this as an alternative?