Project Xiphos 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on the ebony fretboard, 26.5 scale neck.

Dont think it comes with Luminlays so i will be sorting that for this regardless of whether it gets used on this xiphos or for my other ibanez long term.

But this is what it looks like -

Screenshot-2019-03-16-23-04-57.png

Anynone know what length neck screws are used on these newer Ibanez necks?

Omzig

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on the ebony fretboard, 26.5 scale neck.

Dont think it comes with Luminlays so i will be sorting that for this regardless of whether it gets used on this xiphos or for my other ibanez long term.

But this is what it looks like -

Nice the same guy ( kfwguitars ) i brought my neck tele/ibby neck from right (i almost brought that one last week myself) he just put up a few new necks but nothing else 26.5"

btw Are you thinking of selling on the rosewood Xiphos neck?

lewis

Reaction score
Nice the same guy ( kfwguitars ) i brought my neck tele/ibby neck from right (i almost brought that one last week myself) he just put up a few new necks but nothing else 26.5"

btw Are you thinking of selling on the rosewood Xiphos neck?
thanks for the heads up because I just checked and found he DOES actually have a 26.5 scale maple fretboard neck with luminlays so ive bought that aswell. It looks like this -

s-l1600.jpg

So now I get a choice of what neck I want on either of my Ibanez's

and yes I will be selling the Stock Rosewood necks from both Ibanez's

lewis

Reaction score
update:
Ive spoken to Richard about swirls. Other than making sure the Xiphos body fits in his swirl tank (ive sent him measurements), Im booked in for his September batch/run :) (literally he has full orders upto then)

awesome!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
update:
Ive spoken to Richard about swirls. Other than making sure the Xiphos body fits in his swirl tank (ive sent him measurements), Im booked in for his September batch/run :) (literally he has full orders upto then)

awesome!
September?? Damn I could not wait that long for a swirl. I wish the best of luck to you!

lewis

Reaction score
September?? Damn I could not wait that long for a swirl. I wish the best of luck to you!
Thats about my limit of wait time haha

custom guitar build time of like 2 years or whatever would be literally impossible for me haha

Its why Ive bought cheap gold hardware too for the time being because I can at least still use it whilst Im waiting for September to roll around.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Thats about my limit of wait time haha

custom guitar build time of like 2 years or whatever would be literally impossible for me haha

Its why Ive bought cheap gold hardware too for the time being because I can at least still use it whilst Im waiting for September to roll around.
That's fair. Have you at least tried finding someone else to do it without waiting that long?

lewis

Reaction score
to add, thats actually handy because it gives me time to accumulate all the hardware before it gets sent off to be swirled and also allows me to save some money to afford the swirl itself. He takes half upfront then once its done and ready to send back 10 weeks ish later you pay the last half :)

lewis

Reaction score
Good news.
The xiphos body fits in the swirl tank.
Not all the way vertically but loads of room horizontally so he can dip it in most the way vertically, then slowly start angling it horizontally instead.

Sweet.
Also been informed people drop out every now and again so a space before September may come up for me.
I better make sure im in a position to get it to him early incase that happens.

lewis

Reaction score
Both necks arrived - i oiled up the ebony one just to make sure it wasnt too dry.

20190321-131944.jpg

20190321-132035.jpg

20190321-132054.jpg

20190321-132114.jpg

Both are amazing. The maple has Luminlays the ebony does not (i will be installing them)

Still not decided what neck to use for what Ibanez - both are so nice and will look perfect on either the Xiphos or the RG

lewis

Reaction score
I love how reflective the ebony looks oiled up. But the maple with gold hardware is SO unique for a xiphos....
Yeah its how Im leaning tbh (maple) it was the original plan after all

Im going to need to make a decision because obviously a neck needs to go with the body to be refinished haha

Better start getting decisive. (I had proper high res pictures of the necks but they were too large to attach to this thread :( )