Project Xiphos 2019

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Won't that 26.5" neck not work correctly? Typically on a 26.5" the bridge is moved back further. Wouldn't this cause the distance from the 12th fret to the saddles be too short?

lewis

Reaction score
Won't that 26.5" neck not work correctly? Typically on a 26.5" the bridge is moved back further. Wouldn't this cause the distance from the 12th fret to the saddles be too short?
Yes that exactly how it works - but this is getting swirled remember :)

Bridge holes filled - guitar swirled - new bridge will be installed further back to make the 26.5 scale work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yes that exactly how it works - but this is getting swirled remember :)

Bridge holes filled - guitar swirled - new bridge will be installed further back to make the 26.5 scale work.
Wait are both necks 26.5"? I think I misread, I thought you bought a 25.5" and a 26.5" so you could have both.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Weird. If it’s a proper conversion neck you don’t have to move the bridge at all. You sure about moving the bridge?

lewis

Reaction score
Wait what? Im confused now.
So do i have to move the bridge further back for it to work with the new longer neck or not?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Wait what? Im confused now.
So do i have to move the bridge further back for it to work with the new longer neck or not?
Yes you do, if you want to make sure of it, put one of the new necks on and measure the distance between the bridge saddles and the 12th fret. It should be too short.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I’ll say this about 26.5 necks. After playing a 22 fret 25.5 guitar I LOVE the spacing between the frets. If a 26.5 with 24 frets feels like a 25.5 with 22 then I’m going to have to keep that in mind if I ever order a custom guitar.

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
I’ll say this about 26.5 necks. After playing a 22 feet 25.5 guitar I LOVE the spacing between the frets. If a 26.5 with 24 frets feels like a 25.5 with 22 then I’m going to have to keep that in mind if I ever order a custom guitar.
Yeah comparing the spacing between these frets and the frets on my stock 25.5 scale xiphos neck, these new necks are awesome compared.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll say this about 26.5 necks. After playing a 22 fret 25.5 guitar I LOVE the spacing between the frets. If a 26.5 with 24 frets feels like a 25.5 with 22 then I’m going to have to keep that in mind if I ever order a custom guitar.

That's not quite how it works.

The fret spacing (distance from fret to fret) doesn't change based on number of frets. The stretch from 1st to 3rd is identical on a 25.5" scale 22 fret, 24 fret, 27 fret, etc.

Additionally, moving from 25.5" to 26.5" adds a total of 1" to the entire scale, not just the fretboard. So the difference in spacing of individual frets is extremely minimal. We're talking fractions of millimeters at the very most.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Ok and I may be dumbdadumbdumbdumbdumb, but the size of frets 17-24(and all others too, it’s just more noticeable on the higher ones) are slightly larger on a 24 at 25.5 versus at 24.75 right? Like a PRS feels way more cramped than an ESP/ibanez.

So if I added a whole inch across the fretboard to get to 26.5 wouldn’t each fret be ever so slightly larger?

Maybe I’m being overly picky/am attributing more to it than is actually happening? IDK the higher frets all just seem bigger.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
What ever the sizing is, it's definitely a noticeable difference in fret spacing. It's just as noticeable as how we can feel a 1mm difference in neck thickness. Our hands/fingers are very sensitive.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok and I may be dumbdadumbdumbdumbdumb, but the size of frets 17-24(and all others too, it’s just more noticeable on the higher ones) are slightly larger on a 24 at 25.5 versus at 24.75 right? Like a PRS feels way more cramped than an ESP/ibanez.

So if I added a whole inch across the fretboard to get to 26.5 wouldn’t each fret be ever so slightly larger?

Maybe I’m being overly picky/am attributing more to it than is actually happening? IDK the higher frets all just seem bigger.

Yes, a longer scale means farther spaced frets, but the amount there is incredibly small.

The distance between frets 17 and 18 at 24.75" is just under .031". On 25.5" it's just under .032". The difference is less than 1/1000 of an inch.

For 26.5" it's ~.033".

Roughly every inch adds only a thousandth or so of spacing.

If you take a 27" guitar and capo the first fret you'd get about a 25.5" scale, for comparison.

lewis

Reaction score
anyone think the bridge being installed slightly further back to make the 26.5 scale work properly, would look odd?

Like it doesnt bother me whatsoever and Im not sure where that complaint came from but a FB mate just highlighted to me it will look odd.

Will it?
and if so why?

(rhetorical question)

I had this old Agile Copy 8 string years ago with this kind of thing and it played absolutely fine and made no negative difference to the guitar whatsoever. - so is this just another snobbery type opinion in the camp of "Tube amps are the bestest" kind of thing?

c3ddRu-29Mw.jpg

wheres the issue? haha

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
anyone think the bridge being installed slightly further back to make the 26.5 scale work properly, would look odd?

Like it doesnt bother me whatsoever and Im not sure where that complaint came from but a FB mate just highlighted to me it will look odd.

Will it?
and if so why?

(rhetorical question)

I had this old Agile Copy 8 string years ago with this kind of thing and it played absolutely fine and made no negative difference to the guitar whatsoever. - so is this just another snobbery type opinion in the camp of "Tube amps are the bestest" kind of thing?

c3ddRu-29Mw.jpg

wheres the issue? haha

See above.

The bridge will only need to be moved a matter of about 1/4", if at all depending on the adjustment range of the bridge you're using.