Project

Demeyes

Reaction score
I asked about some ideas for this here before. I'm doing a final year project next year for my degree. I'm doing Electronic and Computer engineering. I have the option to propose my own idea so I want to put some music into it. I want to know how hard this kind of thing might be.

The project idea I had in mind was in essence an electric guitar with a digital output and the ability to hear each string individually.

What I was thinking was a guitar with 6 individual pickups, one for each string (probably graphtech piezos). Feed these into a processor on board and then to transfer then digitally through something such as a USB or firewire cable. Then on the PC end of things to have an application that allows the signal to be processed and heard.

String – Pickup – Processor – Cable – PC

Would this be feesable for a project? I've only got a few days left to hand in my proposal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
How about a midi guitar/keyboard, for example 1st fret 1st string is z all open strings are space etc, you could set up power chords as hot keys or entire common words. But instead of using piezos use the strings and frets to form a circuit in the same way as pressing a key on a keyboard, what I mean is make the string live and when you fret it, it completes the circuit on the fret, you could use that in combination with piezo's if you choose so that vibrating strings have a different function to strings that are simply fretted, the number of different functions just 6 strings could perform are mind boggling.

Demeyes

Reaction score
Thats a fantastic idea. You got some ideas going in my head now. Thanks!!!

How about a midi guitar/keyboard, for example 1st fret 1st string is z all open strings are space etc, you could set up power chords as hot keys or entire common words. But instead of using piezos use the strings and frets to form a circuit in the same way as pressing a key on a keyboard, what I mean is make the string live and when you fret it, it completes the circuit on the fret, you could use that in combination with piezo's if you choose so that vibrating strings have a different function to strings that are simply fretted, the number of different functions just 6 strings could perform are mind boggling.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet, you're going to have to make me one :yesway: