Protip: Elixir strings have more tension than D'Addarios.

• Thread starter Xtremevillan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Ah. EB's lasted a week for me, I overpaid...:\

Yeah, they are like DR's, I used DR's with my Jackson and LTD for a week and both sets FAILED EPICLY :noway:

Then I switched back to D'Addario and they felt and lasted awesomely :yesway:

Everybody says that Elixir's last and feel great but i've never even bought one set :lol: I think i should re-string my Jackson, since it's got .09-.46 Rotosound set and they have been there since last April :nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

haffner1

Reaction score
Going back to the string tension thing- I notice that the rotosound strings the came with my BKP I just got are just slightly higher tension than my usual D'addarios. Must have to do with the tightness of the windings or something.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought a set of 9-42 EB Coated Strings off eBay - lets see how those work out.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I've put some Elixirs on my acoustic, and they still sound goddamn amazing, I like them a lot, probably will be what I use every time on acoustic. However, on electric, I'm taking a liking to GHS Boomers, really nice and last longer than any other of the normal strings I've used (Ernie, Rotosound, D'Addario etc)

I actually don't like them on my acoustic. I got two sets of acoustic Nanowebs last year for their buy two sets of strings and get a t-shirt promotion. They don't sound bad at all, but they just seemed kind of dull and dead compared to the Blue Steels I had on before. They have saved me money on strings, though. I got them some time in 2007, and that second pack is still untouched. The set still on my acoustic still sounds about as good as it ever did.

Bobo

Reaction score
I can't tell if there's much tension difference between Nanowebs and D'addarios, but I can tell the tone and especially the longevity difference. They are even a bit easier to play since they are smoother.

I :wub: them, and am glad I took the advice of several members here. But I may cheat on them some day with a different set of coateds, like maybe the new EB's.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
man, i love elixirs cos of how they sound, and how they take ages to wear out. i change my elixirs like once every 4 or 5 months.

also i learned the lesson not to stock up on elixirs, cos in the time it takes to use them up, i usually change my gauge preference, haha. (i still have a couple 56's from like a year ago)

I did the exact same thing :lol: bought a waft of 68s, then realized I didn't like having strings that fat. So they've been sitting here for months. I pretty much have guitar strings to last me another couple years now.. ten packs!

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh fuck, now I have to loosen the screws in my Caparison when I go back to D'Addarios.........I hope this isn't disasterous.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Oh fuck, now I have to loosen the screws in my Caparison when I go back to D'Addarios.........I hope this isn't disasterous.

There's an easier solution: don't go back to D'Addarios. :p They're not bad, but to me, they're the "pretty good if my first choice isn't available" strings.

metalmonster

Reaction score
Hmmm ... confirmed a theory of mine : some strings , at the same gauge have different tensions .

Like ... i had some pyramid on my strat' , and they were quite harder to play than a cheap 1$ set from thomann ...

So elixir have more tension . So what are the strings who may have the lightest tension ? DR , GHS ? any equivalent to the DR "rare" acoustic strings on electric guitar ? 'cause they were pretty long-lasting , nice tone , and an real joy to play.

I think , all of a sudden , i may be interested in experimenting with different string gauges , and picks .

enemyofreality

Reaction score
I hate dr even more so then eb but I get eb a lot because the closest place I can get strings around here is bestbuy :(. Unless I want to pay out the ass at this ripoff store. But I've used and preferred D'addarios since I started playing. Gonna try elixirs now :)

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
Im not sure if this makes a difference but:

I used ernie balls for years then when i got a guitar that had a Floating trem they just kept breaking. Set after set of ernies were snapping at the saddles on different strings and im not crazy with the bar at all. I only use it 2 songs in our set..
I was thinking the saddles had "Burs" but decided to try a new set of different brand..
Switched to D addario strings and have not had any more problems.
Into about 3 string changes with the Daddarios and all is well..

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
I exclusively use Elixir's 7 string set and fucking love them. Amazing strings, last for a good 3-4 months for me (My hands get quite sweaty at gigs too)

SJT2

Luthier Vandross
Reaction score
You guys have bad luck with strings. I use D'Addario strings on all my guitars and they normally last at least 6 months. I do have a few guitars so none of them get constant use and I always clean my strings with Fast Fret. I've been doing this for over 12 years with no problems at all. I tried DR's once in the past few years and they lasted about a month.

Tomo009

Reaction score
I envy some of you people,

I think I have acidic fingers or something because Ernie Ball strings keep there sound at MOST 2 days for me and snap within a week, whereas my friend swears by them.

D'addario I've never had snap but they start to degrade tonally in about 7 days

Elixir last me over 3 months and that's why I love them, but here in Melbourne I can't find anything other than 6 string 9-40(or something) and 10-42 sets for $35. I'll have to find a good online supplier.

I'm also interested in those Pyramid strings, I actually haven't even heard of them before.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
i used to be a whore for d'addario. a guitar i got from a member here came with elixirs and i love how they feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')