Protools 8 / Windows 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Definately not true. I think it's updated to version 8.5 now. I had issues when I got the CD (8.2), but updating to 8.3 fixed them. Though by issues, I mean it was still usable :)

I'd recommend going for Protools 9 though.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
I think for what ill be doing 8 is fine, besides 9 dosent come in any bundles like this. But you're sure what i have posted will work with windows 7 64?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
But you're sure what i have posted will work with windows 7 64?

Well I'm using an MBox micro (no inputs) just for mixing. I record at uni. The software should be fine but you might be right that there are hardware issues. I know a few people using some sort of Mbox with inputs with Protools 8 on W7 64 bit though and they are doing fine.

Knutern

Reaction score
I think for what ill be doing 8 is fine, besides 9 dosent come in any bundles like this. But you're sure what i have posted will work with windows 7 64?

I'm currently using PT LE 8.0.4 on Windows 7 64-bit. I'm not doing the biggest recordings, but I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever.

theclap

Reaction score
yes they fixed this with beta drivers when 8.3 was out. officially with 8.4. I would upgrade to cs2 or 8.5 since its free and they update more and more drivers and devices everytime. It completely depends on your set up as well. Make sure you dont have integrated graphics, aka most laptops, and a seperate drive at 7200 rpms or more to keep your audio on seperate from your protools program. Those are the usual problems that get people. If you don't have all that and you start getting issues, avid or the DUC forums will just neglect you.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
I'm on a desktop with a really good graphics card and a 10000 RPM Hard Drive. so i should be ok then

theclap

Reaction score
I'm on a desktop with a really good graphics card and a 10000 RPM Hard Drive. so i should be ok then
as long as you have a seperate drive to put your audio on away from your system files and pro tools, then yes.
also, most AMD processors and ASUS cpu's are no-no's. You basically have the choice of intel or intel. There is a compatability list on avids website.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Is that actually necessary? My friend records on a laptop with 1 drive

It's not. It's recommended for any audio software, but ProTools seem to make a point of saying it's absolutely necessary.

The hardware compatability list for ProTools is extensive, but don't worry about multiple harddrives. It's no more necessary for ProTools than any other software. I also use one drive on a laptop and have no issues. And that's 7200 not 10k.

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
For me 7 series and the drivers all the way up to 8.0.3 were a disaster. Couldn't get anything working but with 8.0.4 no issues at all.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate Quad core x64 chip.. I'm using the now old-ish Digi 002 factory interface so maybe that's why I was having driver troubles with previous versions.

It feels like they really stabilized the platform with the 8 series imho.

theclap

Reaction score
It's not. It's recommended for any audio software, but ProTools seem to make a point of saying it's absolutely necessary.

The hardware compatability list for ProTools is extensive, but don't worry about multiple harddrives. It's no more necessary for ProTools than any other software. I also use one drive on a laptop and have no issues. And that's 7200 not 10k.

yeah i dont mean to be a tool when i say that but PT REALLY does push that. And if you have a problem with your program you cant contact Avid without paying and so you'll probably go to their forums and they will basically not help you if you don't have all those things.
Integrated graphics though seems to be the most paramount, which is the problem with most laptops. and usually if you're running on a laptop and go there to ask for help on the DUC forums they'll just tell you what ever it is your missing to meet Avids compatability list and not give you alternatives.
This was with LE and believe me I was in the middle of this hell whole since august. I just started using reaper and besides it not loading LeCab 2 I have no reason to use PT until i need to use elastic audio or something specific like that.

')