PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe his username is referring to his financial situation and not first name? :idea:

:rofl: I was wondering the same thing.... :scratch: Seriously, not even comparable unless you're talking Private Stock vs small luthier, and based on him saying the CE was overpriced I'm assuming he doesn't have a PS to make a fair comparison. ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OlisDead

Reaction score
PRS guitars look absolutely gorgeous. I've never had the chance to play one but I'd really love to. But I think they're a little bit expensive.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
PRS guitars look absolutely gorgeous. I've never had the chance to play one but I'd really love to. But I think they're a little bit expensive.

Go to the closest dealer and give them a go! I think once you play one you'll understand why they are as pricey as they are.

It wasn't until I pieced together a handbuilt guitar last summer that I realized how expensive tone woods are - JUST FOR THE WOOD haha
Combine that with great hardware, amazing stains and tops while also being made in the US it adds up. I guess you living in Belgium makes it being US made less of a big deal which I understand but for me, it's something I value :)

OlisDead

Reaction score
Go to the closest dealer and give them a go! I think once you play one you'll understand why they are as pricey as they are.

It wasn't until I pieced together a handbuilt guitar last summer that I realized how expensive tone woods are - JUST FOR THE WOOD haha
Combine that with great hardware, amazing stains and tops while also being made in the US it adds up. I guess you living in Belgium makes it being US made less of a big deal which I understand but for me, it's something I value :)

Yeah I know, I got an handbuilt guitar that was pretty expensive too but that's a fact PRS are expensive guitars. I don't doubt any second that they worth their price. I'd love to try (and have) one someday.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Saw this today, hurt my balls.

PRS-PS882513-CharcoalBurstFlame.jpg

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
It is literally my dream PRS, like someone picked the image out of my head and had it built.

And here I thought I wouldn't have to cut anybody for a while.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I love that sooooo much - I wish maple boards were more common but that was just a limited run. I will say I do however favor the regular birds over the "mordern" ones that originally came with the 513

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Thankfully the classic birds are back on the 2011 513.

Shame though, that they ditched the full Brazilian rosewood neck and went back to just painted mahogany. It looked positively luxurious to play on. Oh well.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Thankfully the classic birds are back on the 2011 513.

Shame though, that they ditched the full Brazilian rosewood neck and went back to just painted mahogany. It looked positively luxurious to play on. Oh well.

That's what happens with endangered woods though. :lol: The supply was low so they restricted it to only PS orders and the upcharge is SIGNIFICANT! :rofl: I think they might not even have any blanks for necks at this point, someone said when they went to order their PS recently with a brazzy board they were down to maybe a dozen or so. :( Also by the time they were building the 513 they were down to stump wood, which although they might "look" pretty with all the crazy figuring that figuring is typically knots which deaden the tone a bit.

Vairish

Reaction score
So, tell me, are they worth it? They're costy, they look good, they sound good, but are they worth they're price? Do you own one? What's your favorite finish?

For some reason I always wanted an Amber PRS so when a mint cond amber Johnny Hiland came up on Ebay for a great price I pounced on it. Here's a pic of it taken a few months ago:

53997463895546525568091.jpg

It was a decent sounding guitar, worth the price I paid for it but not what it retailed for. The neck got a little too thin for my liking past the 7th fret, the finish on the neck was sticky and had some orange peeling, plus there were some dead spots from the 11th-13th frets on the g-string and the 7th-9th frets on the b-string (a seemingly common prob with 24 fret PRS's). I could never bring myself to sell it because (a) I always wanted an amber PRS and (b) I didnt feel comfortable selling it on with the dead spots etc. I talked to a luthier about it and we decided the best course of action would be to build a new neck:

Here's a construction pic:

22037510150170523751526.jpg

And here's the finished job. Rosewood neck with an ebony fretboard. The trussrod canal is laminated with mahogany and carbon fiber:

prs1d.jpg

Look at this neck joint!!!!!

prs2.jpg

Its gone from a wall decoration to my favourite guitar ever! I love it!

Vairish

Reaction score
I would've stuck with the maple board, but how DAMN :yum:

I would have loved too but we needed to add mass to shift the dead spots and ebony happens to be denser than maple. Plus practically all my guitars have maple boards so it makes a nice change :D

sdgiffin

Reaction score
Here is my 2008 Custom 24 Artist Package. One of the last Artist Packages to be made.

Greenie.jpg

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Great axes guys! He did an amazing job on that neck creation, holy hell.
Did he save the signature applicay from the original neck or did he recreate it?

Vairish

Reaction score
Great axes guys! He did an amazing job on that neck creation, holy hell.
Did he save the signature applicay from the original neck or did he recreate it?

It really is a stunning neck :) The logo was recreated in gold as the original black logo would be lost on the rosewood headstock.

')