PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

unclejemima218

190 Proof
Reaction score
I personally think the head stocks are too small compared to the body. and I'm more of a fan of all-one-side pegheads. I would probably only ever get one if I were rich. If one were given to me, I'd probably sell it for a different guitar haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Racerdeth

Reaction score
Love 'em. Got a purple CE22 second hand. I don't think I'd buy one new and I don't rate really tight figured maple (so cheaper tops actually look better to me - convenient) just because the pricing's crazy, but they're seriously, SERIOUSLY good guitars.

Got serious lust for CU24 in Angry Larry too. Nom.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me about it. PRS. Are expensive for what you get. Take away the flashy pretty top wood and bird inlays and you really just have an average guitar with a "premium" brand name.

Very VERY wrong. I own a CE22. Plain mahogany body and dot inlays and it still out plays and sounds better than anything I've gotten my hands on. It's a 'Premium' name for a reason. Very high quality woods, fret work, design, fit and finish. Oh an mine cost just over £700 second hand and would of cost £1099 brand new in 1999.

Oh and I've owned a Standard 24 from 1990 and the quality is no different now to then. Still amazing and consistent.

I swear most of the people saying these things haven't even played a PRS.

Before any one kicks off and starts bitching about how 'it's their opinion' yes I know it is and I haven't painted every one with the same brush.

Last edited:

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
People don't understand that those "pretty tops" are harvested over years and years of searching the wood market. Wood is a limited resource, and you can only find so many "50 year old tops" for PS or the prefect kind of quilt/flame/burl/spalt for those 10 tops. I mean no one complains about the $3,000 price tag from guys like Rico (who rules), why is PRS any different? It's all done by trained people, just a larger scale. And before anyone brings it up, I don't believe the whole CNC devalues their assembly. You have small luthiers like Decibal CNCing their bodies to ensure its perfect, nothing wrong with it. It's still hand sanded, hand assembled and hand tested. If anything it keeps costs down by eliminating wasted wood due to errors.

I have no problem having this discussion over and over because I honestly feel there is no way someone can have a valid enough argument to completely devalue the company. It's not like people are only saying they dont like the feel or look, which is totally understandable as personal preference is different with everyone.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
The early ones were cool but the later ones IMO just were not the same. The tones were not as thick the tops not that hot on most for the $ and that neck heel for someone like myself who plays up high on the fretboard a good bit intolerable. I like the MUCH less expensive Carvin CT MUCH better!!

Huh. How many of the "early ones" have you actually played? I've played about 5, they were very cool but the recent ones are right up there with them and not fetching "collector" prices. I'm going to assume that you're just talking out your ass because that neck heel that is so "intolerable" seems to be no issue for a LOT of guys. Check out some of the videos of Emil from Daath shredding on his PRS... he must be faster on anything else, that damn neck heel has him stuck only SEMI-blazing up that fretboard. :nuts: You like the CT better? I like the CT myself, but not anywhere close to liking it better than a PRS. Both of mine had finish issues and I have yet to date to receive a new or used PRS that had the same problems.

I have a line on a potential PRS to grab locally, just waiting to hear if the price is within what I'm willing to spend on it. If it is, new pics coming soon, it's a bit rare so I don't want to post much more than that. :lol:

Oh yeah I landed this, I scored a 1996 (must be better, it's an EARLY one! :fawk: :rofl:) CE-22 in goldtop finish that has... wait for it... abalone BIRDS! Birds on a CE is pretty rare, I've seen less than a dozen EVER (1 of which was a PS). I'm in line for a CE-24 with MOP birds too assuming the guy who bought it doesn't jive with the neck (which would be great for me as it's a wide-thin and I prefer that for sure!) so I'm going to be pretty happy if I end up with two of them! :D I'll post a thread once I get the goldtop all cleaned up and probably toss a new set of pickups in there. ;)

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Huh. How many of the "early ones" have you actually played? I've played about 5, they were very cool but the recent ones are right up there with them and not fetching "collector" prices. I'm going to assume that you're just talking out your ass because that neck heel that is so "intolerable" seems to be no issue for a LOT of guys. Check out some of the videos of Emil from Daath shredding on his PRS... he must be faster on anything else, that damn neck heel has him stuck only SEMI-blazing up that fretboard. :nuts: You like the CT better? I like the CT myself, but not anywhere close to liking it better than a PRS. Both of mine had finish issues and I have yet to date to receive a new or used PRS that had the same problems.

Oh yeah I landed this, I scored a 1996 (must be better, it's an EARLY one! :fawk: :rofl:) CE-22 in goldtop finish that has... wait for it... abalone BIRDS! Birds on a CE is pretty rare, I've seen less than a dozen EVER (1 of which was a PS). I'm in line for a CE-24 with MOP birds too assuming the guy who bought it doesn't jive with the neck (which would be great for me as it's a wide-thin and I prefer that for sure!) so I'm going to be pretty happy if I end up with two of them! :D I'll post a thread once I get the goldtop all cleaned up and probably toss a new set of pickups in there. ;)

I am with you about the PRS vs Carvin. I have 2 Carvins. One is great, the other has finish issues and the fretboard is already cracking after a year, despite oiling, ect. Plus that forum ...:noplease:

I would much rather have a PRS over a lot of other guitars, like I said even Suhr at times. The only higher-end gutiar brand I would take over them would be Mcnaught :agreed:, simply for Set Thru Custom D+ models.

Animus

Reaction score
Very VERY wrong. I own a CE22. Plain mahogany body and dot inlays and it still out plays and sounds better than anything I've gotten my hands on. It's a 'Premium' name for a reason. Very high quality woods, fret work, design, fit and finish. Oh an mine cost just over £700 second hand and would of cost £1099 brand new in 1999.

Oh and I've owned a Standard 24 from 1990 and the quality is no different now to then. Still amazing and consistent.

I swear most of the people saying these things haven't even played a PRS.

Before any one kicks off and starts bitching about how 'it's their opinion' yes I know it is and I haven't painted every one with the same brush.

I've played PRS guitars for almost 20 years. I used to be very fanatical loyal fan of them. I have owned a CE24 since 1992, which is a decent guitar. I had a 2007 Singlecut Trem (beautiful 10 top and birds) which I sold recently, sounded horrible honestly; very honky and unbalanced in tone which I at first thought was the pickups but it sounded like that acoustically too. Nothing remotely like a Les Paul.

I am not saying they are bad guitars across the board. Just overpriced generally when you are talking production guitars. If I am going to be spending that kind of money there are a lot of better options out there. And lately, I have realized I much prefer the "sound" of other guitars. You take away the "pretty" accoutrements from a PRS (generalizing here) and you are left with a very average sounding guitar at an awesome sounding price imo

Reaction score

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I love PRS Guitars. It's the brand of guitars I have been surrounded by all my life. We shouldn't let this thread die...

What do people think about the newer PRS SE Custom 24?
PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

I've been seriously considering getting one in the sunburst finish this week or as soon as possible? Does anyone have some good pictures of theirs?

I don't own one, but I will say if thats the budget bracket you are trying to stay in, you'll be damn hard pressed to find anything better.

prs-328472305480699521.jpg

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I have to say, I love the way they look, but all three that I've had (one currently up for grabs) have underwhelmed me as far as the tone is concerned.

Something honky/nasaley just seems to be present in the three I've tried, even a pup swap on the last one couldn't change...

Anyone else have a similar experience, or is it just me?

soliloquy

Reaction score
I have to say, I love the way they look, but all three that I've had (one currently up for grabs) have underwhelmed me as far as the tone is concerned.

Something honky/nasaley just seems to be present in the three I've tried, even a pup swap on the last one couldn't change...

Anyone else have a similar experience, or is it just me?

i would like to blame that on the finish, as to me it feels like a bullet proof finish...but i know thats not true as apparently PRS has the thinnest poly finish around. but yeah, i see/hear/feel that too. :scratch:

but then again, i never owned a PRS so my opinion may not count for much...

mystix

Reaction score
i love my PRS!!! I have 3 at this point(gassing for a mira again) and i love them all!!! Excellent playability and tone!!! Great guitars!!!

snowblind56

Reaction score
I've played PRS guitars for almost 20 years. I used to be very fanatical loyal fan of them. I have owned a CE24 since 1992, which is a decent guitar. I had a 2007 Singlecut Trem (beautiful 10 top and birds) which I sold recently, sounded horrible honestly; very honky and unbalanced in tone which I at first thought was the pickups but it sounded like that acoustically too. Nothing remotely like a Les Paul.

I am not saying they are bad guitars across the board. Just overpriced generally when you are talking production guitars. If I am going to be spending that kind of money there are a lot of better options out there. And lately, I have realized I much prefer the "sound" of other guitars. You take away the "pretty" accouterments from a PRS (generalizing here) and you are left with a very average sounding guitar at an awesome sounding price imo

I have a 2005 singlecut trem that I haven't bonded with, but I don't think it sounds horrible. Well the stock pickups were dreadful, but I swapped them with a set of Motor City Pickups Detroiters and now it sounds great. The only thing being, that it plays and sounds more like a doublecut, rather than how a singlecut usually does. Probably being that it has a gigantic hole cut through the middle of the guitar. I think that's why a lot of people don't like the Singlecut Trems.

I recently bought a used Standard 24, which is basically a Custom 24 minus the ""pretty accouterments". It has the simple Moon Inlay and a solid Silver paint job. I replaced the pickups with BKP Rebel Yells, and I would put that guitar up against any other, especially for the price that I have into it.

For production guitars, what is a better option? Gibson or Custom shop Fender are way over-priced for what you get. Suhr or Anderson suffer the same thing that you mention with PRS, where they are pretty and that's about it. You can get the same guitar as a Suhr or Anderson with Carvin or Warmoth for half the price. They are glorified strats. The Carvin and Warmoth might be of slightly less quality, but not by a lot. Do the Suhr and Andersons play/sound awesome? Of course they do. But for every guitar out there, there are different options.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I've played a 513 and a Modern Eagle. Both are nice guitars but in my opinion the build quality doesn't necessarily justify the price tag. When you buy a PRS you pay 40% for the guitar and 60% for the hype which adds up quickly at this level. I'd prefer a Carvin any day of the week which is more like 99% towards the guitar. I like the whole style of PRS guitars and I have found them to play pretty well when set up. I really like the pickups but again I think the price tag just kills it for me. I think PRS is really for people who believe that the high price makes the guitar sound better.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I think PRS is really for people who believe that the high price makes the guitar sound better.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think your last sentence nullified any chance of me taking you serious.
What are the prices of your guitar builds?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I think PRS is really for people who believe that the high price makes the guitar sound better.

If you wanted to play that game, I could just as easily say "I think Carvin is really for people who believe that the cheap "custom" price of a Carvin makes them sound better than a PRS.", but that would be a total cop-out just like your post. :wavey:

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
I've never been a PRS fan. They're pretty, but I don't like the necks/pups.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think your last sentence nullified any chance of me taking you serious.
What are the prices of your guitar builds?

If you wanted to play that game, I could just as easily say "I think Carvin is really for people who believe that the cheap "custom" price of a Carvin makes them sound better than a PRS.", but that would be a total cop-out just like your post. :wavey:

I agree. You could get a brand new "Custom" Carvin for $2000ish or a used PRS Custom 24 for $1600.

It's kind of like the people who say that GFS pickups are great value at $35 when you can get used Duncans or Dimarzio's at that price.

')