PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think it's screwed up that people hate on others over what guitar they play. People like what they like and if they really like PRS Guitars and they want to spend their own money to play what they want who can say anything...? I love em. I don't know why anyone wouldn't.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
N-n-necrobump, because the thread deserves it!

Also, a question about PRS pickups: I really like the pickups of my Singlecut Trem in home use, but at high volumes at band practice I'm getting ridiculous amounts of feedback from the bridge pickup. I lowered it a good deal, and while that helped, it did not completely cure the problem.

Are the #6 pups really that prone to feedback? Initially I thought it has to be a wiring/waxing problem, but a little googling revealed that most PRS players seem to hate these pickups, which got me thinking if the feedback was a pickup characteristic and not a case of something being broken per se.

Call me crazy but I think the pups sound really good, I do have a spare set of JB/Jazz I can use if push comes to shove, but I'd rather not swap the #6s out if the squealing can be helped.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I had a PRS singlecut LE and it was a really nice guitar. Problem is with my miniature hands/fingers I couldn't play it.

For a lower end guitar though it was really nice.....sounded great!

infernalservice

Reaction score
I had a single cut trem for a while and never noticed any feedback at high volume with a high gain patch on my fractal. Dumb question maybe, but are you dialing in a noise supressor or gate at home volumes or band volumes?

N-n-necrobump, because the thread deserves it!

Also, a question about PRS pickups: I really like the pickups of my Singlecut Trem in home use, but at high volumes at band practice I'm getting ridiculous amounts of feedback from the bridge pickup. I lowered it a good deal, and while that helped, it did not completely cure the problem.

Are the #6 pups really that prone to feedback? Initially I thought it has to be a wiring/waxing problem, but a little googling revealed that most PRS players seem to hate these pickups, which got me thinking if the feedback was a pickup characteristic and not a case of something being broken per se.

Call me crazy but I think the pups sound really good, I do have a spare set of JB/Jazz I can use if push comes to shove, but I'd rather not swap the #6s out if the squealing can be helped.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
I've tried about 4-5 PRS CU22s and CU24s... They are beautiful beautiful beautiful guitars, but they just don't feel right to me. I don't know if it's because they feel light, or plasticy, or something but I could never get one for the 2800-3400$ price. Honestly, if I found a really nice example for a reasonable price, I'd just sell it.

blaren

Reaction score
First post...hey everyone.
I had to join because of this thread.
I've been playing in bars since I was 12 (35 years now). Used to be a strat guy. Never bonded with Gibsons but I have tried so hard. I still buy a Paul just about annually trying to find one that feels right. Maybe it's the shorter scale. I had a '64 ES335 for about 15 years but it was a case queen. I figured I couldnt afford to have $8K sitting under my bed so I sold it.

I wanted to try a PRS but I'm not a try in the store kind of guy. Sounds ridiculous but I never wanted to make a spectacle of myself trying a PRS in a store having an employee breathing down my neck.
I decided that with some of the ES cash I'd buy a used PRS on eBay. I took my time waiting for the right deal and wound up getting two. A '94 CE24 for $900 and an '03 McCarty Soapbar for a grand. This was in like '05. I got the two of them cause they were very different from each other. I also made sure that whatever I bought, I would do so at a price that was liquid. Meaning, whichever one I didnt like, I could EASILY sell for what I paid for it.

Well I kept both. The CE became my #1 for just about 7 years until my wife bought me a new PRS Studio for Christmas this year.

So, I have strats, teles, pauls, have had a VERY nice ES335. I also "fix" guitars that my friend sells in his store for his customers and students so ...in the past almost 4 decades, I've owned, played, held, and fixed countless guitars.
I figured I'd probably like PRSs because the scale is a little longer than the floppy (to me) Gibby scale, I wanted to like hog bodies (even though the CE is maple on alder) and set necks, and I never met a bridge singlecoil I liked.

Anyway...naturally and of course..everyone likes different things and has different tastes. Otherwise there would only be GM, Fender would only make a Broadcaster and all necks would have 20 frets..or 19?
That said...I dont think anyone can argue the quality of PRS guitars..LIKE them or not. And, the price, I think, is very fair. The BRAND new Studio my wife bought me I think retails (pffff lmfao) for almost $4500.00. Streetprice (and what she paid from MF) is like under $2300. That is very fair I think. When you look at used PRSs the prices are even crazier. You can easily find CEs for under $900 and McCartys for a grand or less. A LOT of used PRSs were babied.

When PRS first came out in '85 ish...they were shockingly expensive. There wasnt really a Custom Shop making $5K+ Strats and Pauls. If they werent WORTH it though they would still be a boutique builder...or out of business.

Seriously though...iI think everyone should at least give PRS a chance and try a few out in stores. If the price is too high just remember...retail and even MAP are just jokes kind of lol. Dealers can go WAY downtown and if they wont...the used market or an online dealer will.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
I have tried very, very hard to dislike PRS guitars since I've always seen them as the "I have shitloads of money so I automatically play this brand" guitar, but every one I have played (save for one abused SE display model) has been an absolutely phenomenal instrument in every way. I wish I had the cash for a custom 24.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to be back on board the PRS train. I'm at the point where I'm ready to sell all of my shit off and buy more PRSi again. Goddammit, I knew this would happen :lol:

Geognosy

Reaction score
Someone send me a Modern Eagle and I'll take a few months to try it out, and then I'll post in this thread.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Glad to be back on board the PRS train. I'm at the point where I'm ready to sell all of my shit off and buy more PRSi again. Goddammit, I knew this would happen :lol:

I'm really glad to hear that your obsession with balls was just a phase :gayfight:

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I loved the neck and sound on my McCarty, but they really need to modernize their neck joint. It is too blocky and doesn't give me good access. They should carve side scoops and taper the joint or something.

vanhendrix

Reaction score
I loved the neck and sound on my McCarty, but they really need to modernize their neck joint. It is too blocky and doesn't give me good access. They should carve side scoops and taper the joint or something.

I thought this as well, and then I hit on the magical strap height and everything just clicked. I play my guitars pretty low (rule of thumb is that my belt buckle would be should just barely touch the top of the body), but for my PRS I had to raise it up a little bit. It's still pretty low, but I can honestly say that this completely revolutionized the fret access for me.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
I've tried PRS's in the past of different types and honestly, I'll put my Carvin CT624 up against 'em any day of the week. Plus, PRS does not have the dragonburst!

28ko8qt.jpg

Spamspam

Pastafarian
Reaction score
They aren't for me. I wanted to love them. I tried to like them. They are pretty. But underneath the pretty? Nothing really special. For me, they are over rated, over hyped, over priced.
But really, play one yourself, and make your own decisions. I play Carvins these days. And I love that there are different guitars out there for different people, at different price points. I found what I like.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I've tried PRS's in the past of different types and honestly, I'll put my Carvin CT624 up against 'em any day of the week. Plus, PRS does not have the dragonburst!

28ko8qt.jpg

Interesting statement...

user2965_pic5283_1302462562.jpg

I saw this a while back (forgot who made it, but whoever did kudos to them) thought I would add it :lol: not hating on Carvin at all, just funny.

In all seriousness the only reason that I do not have a PRS right now is I just cannot afford one. Having played more recently they are just phenomenal guitars.

Reaction score
I've played a few PRS's from all across the board and many different models and I LOVE PRS! Ok? I LOVE THEM!

However, I am selling two of my SE models (I DO NOT like the SE models that much to be honest). So, I'm selling my SE Custom 22 and my SE Paul Allender to fund a few new guitars. (Maybe a Vigier or a Suhr.) And then of course, I am keeping my SE Mike Mushok baritone model. That thing is too sweet to ever give up! :metal:

Animus

Reaction score

Not so much modernize but go back to the neck joint they used to have before they adopted the heel from hell. My CE24 from 1992 had a normal neck joint. Rumor has it they beefed up the heel because of some technicality to do with the CNC/jigging in manufacturing.

')