PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
I'm still confused as to why yet another PRS-specific thread gets thrown into Carvin town? :rofl: Damn kids... :realmad: :lol:

We're just tryin' to class the thread up a bit. ;)

In all honesty, I was in error for doing that and I apologize. It's still my opinion and I believe it 100% but I should have kept it to "PRS really does nothing for me. I've tried numerous guitars and never found one I liked." and left it at that. I do maintain I never said PRS was bad or shit or whatever.

Now, can we have our ball back, mister?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I guess maybe you just haven't seen the other 10 or so PRS threads that eventually a few certain posters (who know who they are) habitually enter and go "WHAT ABOUT CARVINS ZOMG!" without fail. :lol: Just gets old I guess, I like both brands but in a brand-specific thread I don't come in and introduce another manufacturer. :shrug: I still dig Carvin stuff, but this isn't the thread to talk about them. ;)

soliloquy

Reaction score
Yeah I guess maybe you just haven't seen the other 10 or so PRS threads that eventually a few certain posters (who know who they are) habitually enter and go "WHAT ABOUT CARVINS ZOMG!" without fail. :lol: Just gets old I guess, I like both brands but in a brand-specific thread I don't come in and introduce another manufacturer. :shrug: I still dig Carvin stuff, but this isn't the thread to talk about them. ;)

:wavey::wavey:

and those are the old days! :p

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I do maintain I never said PRS was bad or shit or whatever.

No need for an explanation man, I welcome good conversations.

That's another reason I support PRS - I literally love all the people that work at the factory (except Riffer - :fawk:). I have guys at PRS texting me photos of current projects of mine and its amazing. Paul himself doesn't make endorsee's sign exclusivity contracts when they play PRS because he says "they are tools to do a job, and if I don't make a guitar thats the best at doing that job, then thats bad on me. I would never want to prevent someone from make their music the best it can be".

That to me means the world :wub:

So the man himself said it - if you don't like PRS, don't play em. All that matters is what feels and sounds the best to you.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Dunno how I missed this thread for so long.

PRS has been somewhat elusive, to me. I've lusted after them for years based on a single experience I had at a local guitar shop when I was 14 or 15-ish. Back then, I *really* drooled over PRS. They were the end-all be-all at the time, for me - sort of like how Wayne was about the
Fender Stratocaster in Wayne's World. When I saw a PRS on the wall, I could hear angels singing.

So one time, at that one shop, I got the balls to ask if I could try one of the PRS guitars on the wall, and surprisingly the guys at the shop were happy to let me do so. It was a gorgeous CU22 10 top with a purple stain. To this day, I'm not sure my hands have EVER felt more at home on a guitar than they did on that one. I was playing stuff I wasn't usually able to play on anything else, in that moment.

Alas, ever since that day, I have yet to ever hold another PRS that feels as magical as that one did. I don't know if this is due to design changes over the years, or changes to my own person over the years, or a combination of both, or maybe that the one I tried that day was professionally set up and the others I've tried are just factory set. All I know is that after repeated attempts to recapture that day's magic in the rare moments where I've had enough play-money to consider purchasing one, I have yet to find one that I'd be comfortable investing in.

I still hold out hope, though. Some day I'll probably find a something like a minty used standard 24 and never look back.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
@Atimoc:

That might be a decent price for the UK, idunno, but cu24's are frequently found for less in the US. 1200 pounds translates to roughly $1850US.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
@Atimoc:

That might be a decent price for the UK, idunno, but cu24's are frequently found for less in the US. 1200 pounds translates to roughly $1850US.

Used Custom 24's usually go for 1700-2400 depending on options, rarity and so on. So for something that is imported thats a pretty good price for sure! :yesway:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
The market is finicky too. I've seen CU22/CU24 models sell as low as $1K or as high as $2K. Really depends on a) the economy in general (people get spooked when they hear bad news, then don't buy anything! :lol:), b) how much folks have to spend on fun stuff, which these days seems like less and less and c) the demand for a certain guitar. Some finishes attract a lot of buyers, some only appeal to a select few out of the whole market. Pretty wide margin that these guitars sell in, same with anything else. :lol: I've seen CE's sell from $750-$1750 in the past 4 months alone, in fact the flip-flop I let go to a BAM'er for cheap he flipped (after first trying to convince me I needed to take it back... at a higher price than I gave it to him for...? :spock:) it for $1750. Go figure. :shrug: He went to eBay and apparently found a buyer who REALLY wanted that finish. I posted on forums for several weeks and got nothing, but he also got hit with the higher eBay fees and Paypal so after he got paid and covered shipping he likely only made out with $1500 or so.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I mean obviously there are some ridiculous deals on the private seller market, but you must admit 99% of CU24's are not going for 1k haha

And yeah, I saw the flipflop deal :noplease:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah I'm not saying it's even close to that high a percentage, but there have been a LOT of good deals in the past year or so, way moreso than in the past! :D If you're patient I've seen some with 10tops and birds sell for $1200 in essentially mint condition! :eek: People need money and either GAS or financial trouble sometimes forces ridiculous sales, I've been there myself many times! :lol:

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I love my PRS, it's got my favorite color ever (Matteo Blue), it's comfortably light (7.6lbs), and it has a great "loose" kind of tone to it. It's a 2006 PRS CE22, which I bought in conjunction with a Standard22 Satin (since sold for way too cheap :().

It was interesting to hear the differences between the CE and Standard. The best way I can describe it is the CE provides that looser feel and tone on Tool's "Ænima", while the Standard had the tightness and crunch of "Lateralus". Between the two I was able to cover so much ground, and it gave me an appreciation for well made guitars.

Before I got my PRS's I hated the company, assuming they were overpriced lawyer guitars that couldn't compare to a Gibson (I was dumb). I was going to school in Hollywood and wanted a new guitar, so I went to the local Guitar Center and tried every higher end instrument I could. I'd planned on a Gibson or Parker but wanted to find one that clicked. I think after an hour I'd had no luck so I started on the PRSs. It took a few guitars until I found the Standard22, and I knew that was it. Then I tried the CE22... I bought the Standard after some debating, and that night dealt with the worst GAS I've had. Next day I ran back to GC and got the CE22, which I still have :).

While I've further refined my tastes and am now moving towards customs to my specs, if I have the money and a Matteo Blue PRS comes up I pretty much have to get it.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I love my PRS, it's got my favorite color ever (Matteo Blue), it's comfortably light (7.6lbs), and it has a great "loose" kind of tone to it. It's a 2006 PRS CE22, which I bought in conjunction with a Standard22 Satin (since sold for way too cheap :().

It was interesting to hear the differences between the CE and Standard. The best way I can describe it is the CE provides that looser feel and tone on Tool's "Ænima", while the Standard had the tightness and crunch of "Lateralus". Between the two I was able to cover so much ground, and it gave me an appreciation for well made guitars.

Before I got my PRS's I hated the company, assuming they were overpriced lawyer guitars that couldn't compare to a Gibson (I was dumb). I was going to school in Hollywood and wanted a new guitar, so I went to the local Guitar Center and tried every higher end instrument I could. I'd planned on a Gibson or Parker but wanted to find one that clicked. I think after an hour I'd had no luck so I started on the PRSs. It took a few guitars until I found the Standard22, and I knew that was it. Then I tried the CE22... I bought the Standard after some debating, and that night dealt with the worst GAS I've had. Next day I ran back to GC and got the CE22, which I still have :).

While I've further refined my tastes and am now moving towards customs to my specs, if I have the money and a Matteo Blue PRS comes up I pretty much have to get it.

Awesome story man. Anyone that quetions the price of the guitars I say should visit the Factory sometime and talk to some of the workers. Not only are all of the parts and woods of the highest quality, but everything is done in the US by a workforce who is actually paid a competitive wage WITH health insurance and other options. I think its a big deal when a company takes care of their workers as well as PRS does. Then factor in the time for research and development designing all these crazy new pickup configurations they've been coming out with and you have a price point that really doesn't seem as outrageous as most people think. The best explanation I can say is that you are getting handmade guitar quality and options out of a production guitar :2c:

thelarrinator

To Kill Achilles
Reaction score
i love the PRS look, a lot of bands i like have used them in the past (or still do) but their tone possibilities seem a little bleak for what i like/what i look for

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
i love the PRS look, a lot of bands i like have used them in the past (or still do) but their tone possibilities seem a little bleak for what i like/what i look for

What do you like/look for? I have an archtop that has the classiest tones, a 513 thatll give you spank and range of any other instrument, a tremonti that sounds huge and hot and lastly a CU coming that will melt faces with some BKP's....

thelarrinator

To Kill Achilles
Reaction score
What do you like/look for? I have an archtop that has the classiest tones, a 513 thatll give you spank and range of any other instrument, a tremonti that sounds huge and hot and lastly a CU coming that will melt faces with some BKP's....

It's hard to explain for me! haha :p
I'm an ibanez man, the RGT6EXFX does everything for me.

Although I like the look of PRS's, I wouldn't like to be on stage or anything with one of them. It's like half the skanks in the world. They may look nice, but would i fuck ride that - if you get me?

As for sound, I'm yet to find one that sounds punchy enough for my liking with also having a smooth lead tone if need be. I like more of a clarified crunch in my tones and with every PRS i've played, none have delivered :(

That's just my personal preference though, it's a known fact they are sub-zero and made to an outstanding degree. It's just not for me :)

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a SE Custom 24. Now to wait for the mail :coffee:

infernalservice

Reaction score
It's hard to explain for me! haha :p
I'm an ibanez man, the RGT6EXFX does everything for me.

Although I like the look of PRS's, I wouldn't like to be on stage or anything with one of them. It's like half the skanks in the world. They may look nice, but would i fuck ride that - if you get me?

As for sound, I'm yet to find one that sounds punchy enough for my liking with also having a smooth lead tone if need be. I like more of a clarified crunch in my tones and with every PRS i've played, none have delivered :(

That's just my personal preference though, it's a known fact they are sub-zero and made to an outstanding degree. It's just not for me :)

You should maybe try a CE, specially one with a maple board if you want a snappier sound with the maximum clarity a PRS can offer. It might be a little harder to find, but they can go head to head with any Ibanez I have owned for that super strat tone.

')